BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta love that motorcycle culture, especially with the waves. There's so many interesting videos on YouTube about it and I found an entertaining one list the various waves we can do. I'll probably start with the "too scared" before moving on to the two fingers towards the road. Maybe even the "too happy" when i'm particularly happy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd probably be more of a pointer I think.. The pistol down here where I am may get taken in the wrong way...

Lol but why the "don't wave at hells angels"

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess mostly I do the sportbike wave, either on my Indian Scout or Piaggio BV350 scooter. Around here, Harley guys (or just cruiser guys who wish they had a Harley) wave most of the time when I am on either bike, but a few ignore me if on the scooter. Funny, I recognize some that waved at me on the Indian. I wear the same clothes on either bike, so I guess it must be fear of the vehicle we ride that particular day, rather than who we are as a person.

·
Registered
486 Posts
From the few rides I've gone on with a borrowed motorcycle, Harley riders generally ignore those who aren't riding something of a similar style. Mainly cruisers and those classic looking models. A few of my friends just outright gave up waving to them because of the lack of reciprocation.

Most sport bike riders will go for the two finger wave towards the ground and I assume the same would apply for the G310 models. Though there are a few in the video I have never seen before.

Why can't we do the odd teacup tilt wave?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey, there ain't anything wrong with just being a nice guy and extended and sharing a little smile and a wave. Makes the world a better place.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'll probably be doing the "too afraid" wave for a while until I get the hang of riding with one hand only for a short amount of time. Don't think I can lift my left hand yet and do a proper wave.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would happen if I were to accidentally wave with the wrong hand and take it off the throttle for a second? Would the G310 jerk around due to the lack of power?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just don't wave to Vespa Riders, in the motorcycle world they're like Prius owners :D
No offense to anyones wife that rides one.
Oh, so it's not a camaraderie thing, it's the idea that other folks don't ride or drive what you believe they should be riding or driving.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What would happen if I were to accidentally wave with the wrong hand and take it off the throttle for a second? Would the G310 jerk around due to the lack of power?
No. You'd just start slowing down until you put your hand back on the throttle and accelerated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't be making Vespa owners an exception and exclude them.. they could be bike guys too and they do have a love for the two wheels so why not! They could even have bikes at home and just choose to use the Vespa for short little inner city run arounds or something.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Gotta admit, Vespa does have a certain classic appeal and they're great for quick runs to the store. I'd just wave to everyone, they can either reciprocate or not and it wouldn't really affect me if they don't. I just like the act of waving. :grin2:

·
Registered
291 Posts
As it is right now when I walk down the street, I smile at everyone that makes eye contact with me and sometimes give a morning salutation, just a kind gesture I grew up doing and the same will apply when I start riding. Wave at em' all !

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh, so it's not a camaraderie thing, it's the idea that other folks don't ride or drive what you believe they should be riding or driving.
Just wanted to poke fun at them, nothing serious. Hard to display that on social media.

I want to just about anyone, even kids on the street that think im some sort of power ranger.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah... over typing, it's really hard to emulate your expressions and tone haha which kind of makes situations awkward unintentionally.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've shot myself in the proverbial foot a few times in text because it's just harder to convey a certain tone. Kinda similar to that time someone thought I was staring at them through my tinted visor, but I was just zoned out and staring off into space in their general direction. :grin2:

At least waves won't be misunderstood since we're using the same few over and over again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts