BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the MRA Windscreen today from Twisted Thottle. The installation was very easy, only taking a few minutes.

The instructions were decent, but I found it easier to build the bracket onto the Windscreen, then mounting the loosely assembled Windscreen to the stem bolts. The directions have you build from the stem bolts out to the Windscreen.

Stem bolts were torqued to 20Nm.

Here is a collage of views of the MRA Windscreen and collage of Before & After pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It significantly reduces the wind pressure that I felt against my chest any time I'm riding 60-75 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 5'10" and the windshield puts the wind line above my chest. For me I feel much less wind pressure, turbulence and noise. My neck and helmet are still exposed, but I could lay on the tank to avoid it all. I don't typically ride this bike over 70mph, so not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you buy the Universal model or the model designated for the G310R. I have had my eyes on one of these since I got my bike at the beginning of November. Any relief of wind pressure on my chest will be welcome and I like the look it adds to the bike. Many reviews talk about trouble with installation but it sounds like you have figured out a better way around it. Hope you enjoy. Maybe I will have one under the Christmas tree in a few weeks???!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, saw one and thought it looked fine so ordered one and fitted it last week. Fitting was not as easy as it should have been. I carefully followed the instructions but discovered that once I had fitted the supporting brackets as shown in the photo you couldn't fit the screen. Had to take them off and switch them. On mine, unlike the photo, the vertical flange on the brackets must be fitted towards the outside. Should have done as previous poster suggested and started with fitting the brackets to the screen. Anyway, a few dropped washers later and the evening had gone entirely. And there must be an easy way to fit the plastic beading along the top edge of the screen but it eluded me.

Of course it does take much of the wind off your chest which in current sub temperatures is a blessing but amplifies the noise. (Try standing on the pegs) I'm experimenting with mounting an old spoiler on the top edge. Possibly a slight improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys, I dont have any tools to fix the windscreen, how do I go about buying them? Please let me know. This is my first motorcycle here in the US, and never really had to do the mechanic stuff in the past, so am worried and tensed on how to get this work done. I already received the windscreen for my G310R and waiting to fix it soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just bought and installed one, very easy, attach the brackets to the windshield first, then attach the whole assembly to the handlebar bracket. Works best that way.

After having the unit for a few days I have noticed that the design of the wind shield does (somewhat) match the design of the 310, the "folded" look of the body work matches the windshield and actually looks very good. I posted a photo below.

This is a nice accessory and I paid the $50 shipping from Germany because the dealers in the U.S. were all out of stock, and I think it's worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
The tools are very basic, 2 Allen wrenches. Put the brackets on the windshield first then attach the assembly to the handlebar brackets and you are done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tools are very basic, 2 Allen wrenches. Put the brackets on the windshield first then attach the assembly to the handlebar brackets and you are done.
Indeed, this is the easiest way, only loosening the torx screws for the handlebar was difficult, they were pretty tight...

The screen works good, it keeps the wind away from my body and no turbulence or buffeting on my helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a bit of noise as the engine sound if reflected off the screen, but it's noticeable to me only because the screen is still new. Not something I'd complain about...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Torque wrench to fasten the bolts

I installed mine using Allen Wrenches, but I did not use a torque wrench and set it to 19Nm as specified in the manual.
Is that mandatory? Does that expose me to some safety concerns?
Also, I do not see much difference in easing off winds off the chest, but I feel handling is better now.
Appreciate your help and comments.

·
Registered
308 Posts
When out on the bike and you park up with other bikes ask the guys, ive never yet had a chat with bikers I didn't learn from it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, I'm officially "that guy" but I received the MRA windscreen and I have no idea what order the darn spacers/rubber o-rings/washers go. The directions are non-existent. Can anyone help me with a little more detail? Even if it's close-up pictures of the installed product I could mimic it, otherwise some written guidance would be great, thank you!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
A little frustrating to fit, for me.
The photos in the instructions were very dark..
Finally managed to find them online..
Here is the final install.
Will be taking her out later on the freeway.
So I'll keep you posted about the wind, turbulence etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seemed much better. Less turbulence. But then my helmet needs to be replaced, so that doesn't help.
'Cause its letting in some wind and not very aerodynamic.
Lot's of looks. One guy honked and gave me the thumbs up as he drove by.
Will re-post when I ride with a new helmet. Thinking of the AGV Sportmodular Carbon.
Last night was the first time I drove in the dark, to an 80's night at my local microbrewery, so much fun.
I like the arc of the light from left to right, but I have to adjust the height later. It seems as though the light
points down and I don't have so much of a distance sight. At first I thought maybe it was the MRA Windscreen,
but its not obscuring. Any recommendations for a replacement headlight ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts