BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first post. I purchased a used 2018 G310R earlier this week. Right away I was unhappy with the factory break pedal. It is difficult to reach so close to the engine and a bit too low. So, as is my usual proclivity to improve things I came up with an improvement hack. I used a piece of 1 inch square aluminum tube about 3.5 inches long cut at 45 degrees. A piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum flat stock shaped to match the shape of the bottom of the brake pedal. 2 1/4-20 stainless screws and matching self locking nuts an washers. I drilled through the square stock and the plate aluminum with a 1/4 inch bit. Then enlarged the top holes in the square stock to 1/2 inch ( so that the bolt heads could be passed through to the bottom). Then I sandwiched the square stock and the flat plate between the serrated end of the foot pedal. It all seems to work a whole lot better than the stock pedal alone. I still want to use a demel cut off wheel too trim the bolts closer to the lockouts and it will be done.
Wood Automotive tire Road surface Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Road surface Bedrock Asphalt Flooring
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset

·
Registered
17 Posts
A 3" diameter, 1" thick hockey puck would be about the same "effect" if you offset it, but how did you mount it? Goal to raise is part of the solution. but also to make it more in line with foot requiring it to extend more outward. I assume he tapered the tubing to avoid scraping when leaned in a turn.

·
Registered
485 Posts
A 3" diameter, 1" thick hockey puck would be about the same "effect" if you offset it, but how did you mount it? Goal to raise is part of the solution. but also to make it more in line with foot requiring it to extend more outward. I assume he tapered the tubing to avoid scraping when leaned in a turn.
It's fixed with bolts and nuts. I didn't want the pedal to protrude more from the engine. I have a GS that I sometimes take off-road and don't want it to get stuck in "stuff".

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
179 Posts
You can find decent anodized aluminium solutions for the brake pedal on AllieXpress.
And they do not have sharp edges. That seems safer to me.

Personally I never miss the brake pedal or find it too close to the engine.
And I am riding with two other bikes as well.. :D

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can find decent anodized aluminium solutions for the brake pedal on AllieXpress.
And they do not have sharp edges. That seems safer to me.

Personally I never miss the brake pedal or find it too close to the engine.
And I am riding with two other bikes as well.. :D
Thank you for your suggestion. I did use a file to round off the sharper edges. I probably have an anatomical problem since I have always walked with my my toes pointing out at about 30°. I suppose that it carries over to my riding stance. So, for me it is rather uncomfortable and in a way takes extra time and effort to move from that pointing out to a pointing in position for my foot. Also, I tend to hunt for the brake pedal which could be dangerous in an emergency braking situation. I am still getting used to this bike and am trying to mitigate any short commings until I decide on making more permanent solutions. Again thank you for your suggestions. I am leaning toward some sort of footpeg lowering solution. That would also help with a problem that I have with how much I have to bend me knees in the riding position. I have had both knees replaced and they do not flex as easily as they used to. In fact, my doctor is surprised that I can bend then as far as I do. But it's not always easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts