BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Navigation devices/apps - what do you use and what for?

Hello all!

Wanted to start a discussion around the types of navigational applications and devices everyone uses while on 2 wheels.

I want to start leading some group rides, though I normally navigate via memorization, I don't think that will be best when trying to map out new routes I'm unfamiliar with further afield.

Including the reasons why you use it - may it be for the app/devices ability to find scenic bike road routes, finding dirt tracks or best ways to map out your own route and make that into a route you can transfer.

Would love to hear your thoughts people.

Much love,
馃崿

Registered
I use TomTom on my iPhone. I already own a Garmin and a TomTom device in my cars. I didn鈥檛 want to spend the money to buy a motorbike satnav. I can create routes or import Gpx files into mydrive.tomtom.com and have them synced to the iPhone to use on the bike or in my MR2 on its TomTom Go.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use TomTom on my iPhone. I already own a Garmin and a TomTom device in my cars. I didn鈥檛 want to spend the money to buy a motorbike satnav. I can create routes or import Gpx files into mydrive.tomtom.com and have them synced to the iPhone to use on the bike or in my MR2 on its TomTom Go.

Excellent - what a great ability to use your phone with the same account. Did you have to set up the account with a device to gain access to that app?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Registered
I have used Beeline it鈥檚 simple to use and has no distracting maps just distance and directions in a small and easy to install on different bikes the photo is the Beeline on my RE Interceptor 650 using one of the different mounts supplied. The device uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone with the Beeline app. The app allows you to create routes and transfer them to the device or you can record a journey and save it in the app. The advantage is the phone uses no data just needs to be switch on and connected to the device.
Wheel Speedometer Vehicle Automotive tire White

Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
Iphone's can be damaged as the optical stabilizer will stop working. Expensive part. :D

I use an old phone and setup a Wifi network to the new phone in my backpack.
Google maps can be downloaded at home, traffic information comes over the internet. When needed.
But I am also owning a TomTom, this is more stable than a phone.

Photograph Sky Automotive lighting Light Infrastructure

Super Moderator
Iphone's can be damaged as the optical stabilizer will stop working. Expensive part. :D

I use an old phone and setup a Wifi network to the new phone in my backpack.
Google maps can be downloaded at home, traffic information comes over the internet. When needed.
But I am also owning a TomTom, this is more stable than a phone.

View attachment 16346
I just bought myself a vibration damper for my quad lock mount as I have upgraded to a newer iphone which would suffer from the vibrations. If anyone is interested, apple have released a kill list, which lists all the bikes that have been known to cause problems with the newer iphones, I think the 310GS is on that list, don't know about the R.

So... If you are going to mount your iphone to your bike, get yourself a mount with a damper. I would recommend quad lock

Registered
I just bought myself a vibration damper for my quad lock mount as I have upgraded to a newer iphone which would suffer from the vibrations. If anyone is interested, apple have released a kill list, which lists all the bikes that have been known to cause problems with the newer iphones, I think the 310GS is on that list, don't know about the R.

So... If you are going to mount your iphone to your bike, get yourself a mount with a damper. I would recommend quad lock
My 310GS ruined my IPhone XR in 1 week. This happened in early 2020 before it became a known issue. Luckily it happened while phone was under warranty. I use the new phone in an xgrip on my RT and have not had a problem so far, about 20,000 miles.

Registered
I'll be the odd duck.

My motorcycle time is a sanctuary space free from tech, phone calls, music, etc. I review my route via Google Maps on my phone, then toss it in the tank bag and zip her shut before I ride off.

On rare occasions when the neural pathways are misfiring, I might find myself fishing the phone back out quickly at a stop for a refresher. Like I rarely might have needed to with a paper map in the day. 馃ぃ

My riding time is a highly valued old school space. I like tech inside the machine improving performance and ride. But I don't want to see any visible tech that differs drastically from my field of view 1983 to present.

(My career and daily life are tech intense off the bike.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts