BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Here in Southern California it rarely rains and when it does I always take the C650. So the G310R chain never even gets wet. Is it then correct that with these modern sealed chains lubing is not necessary in my case?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Honda CRF250R since 2004. In the time between 2004 and now, I think I may have lubed it 5 times. I'm still on my 2nd chain. I ride track mostly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I guess with O-rings, the lubing is not that important as the grease is inside the o-rings, but i doubt that it stays there forever, with rain and all. in the video above, he is not actually not saying NOT to lubricate the chain, hence the title of it is wrong. he suggest to lubricate with gear oil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
in my opinion - you should always lube a chain, even if used in totally dry conditions. Even in these conditions there is dust and fine debris that can and will stick to your chain, therefore having a grinding effect. Ending with a premature chain failure.
WD40 the original stuff is merely a water dispersal spray - hence its name WD 40 (it was the 40th) formula/attempt before the got it right . WD 40 dedicated chain spray / wax is very good stuff.
Here in UK chain oiling is a must and in my view anyone not doing so wherever you are in the world, could end up buying a new one sooner than you expected.
Its an easy job so why take a risk - just saying.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I clean my chain with Kerosene in an old spray bottle every 1000km-2000km and re-lube with motul? chain lube.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I clean my chain every 200km, gives me something to do :). I use Kerosene or WD40 (which is also Kerosene based). I like Motul chain lube, but the idea of using gear oil looks interesting.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have plenty of gear oil (differential oil) often in the garage left over from servicing my Jeeps. I will definitely use that next time and see what it does.
there are actually gear oils with different viscosity. I would suggest 85/140 which is thicker and there is less chance that it will fly away from the chain.

·
Registered
125 Posts
there are actually gear oils with different viscosity. I would suggest 85/140 which is thicker and there is less chance that it will fly away from the chain.
Jeep Wrangler differentials call for 80/90 or 85/140 (if used off-road). I use 85/140, so that is what I have a couple of litres always (as spare to carry on trips).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Jeep Wrangler differentials call for 80/90 or 85/140 (if used off-road). I use 85/140, so that is what I have a couple of litres always (as spare to carry on trips).
in my opinion, the difference between 90 and 140 is not so big, on road or off-road. 140 is a safer option.

·
Registered
125 Posts
in my opinion, the difference between 90 and 140 is not so big, on road or off-road. 140 is a safer option.
Diffs get hot, particularly with lockers, so 85W/140 is called for. Straight 140 viscosity gear oil is not something you can find easily. Heavier manual transmissions sometimes use it. I have never seen it in a differential of a 4x4.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last month I lubed the chain and it basically went all over the place. I had to spend 10 minutes wiping all the crap. I'm not lubing ever again. I'd rather replace the chain every 3-4 years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts