BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend (11/12/2022) dealer upgraded my ECU software (2018 ?) to the latest release,
he said the new version was really good for engine performance.

He was RIGHT. Great boost through the low to mid range... and better all round power !
Makes the 310 feel like a different bike. Also feels like less vibration (but I'm not sure on that.)
If you are running older software... get it !

· Registered
74 Posts
Sound very interesting :)
I have asked my local dealer (only 2 here in Denmark that is official BMW dealers o_O) if they offer an upgrade :)

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Me too. Noticeable change. Not every unit will see a gain. Depends on production date and pre sale diligence by Dealer. One of the many reasons to get your unit checked at the 600 mile mark, even if you do your own work. If you can develop a good relationship with dealer it very worth it.

· Super Moderator
1,411 Posts
Just got my "run in" service done last week in Melbourne and the dealer didn't even mention an ECU update. Granted, its just a running in check, but I too am interested in AU update.

My bike is also a 2022 model. Does this ECU update only apply to the first generation?
Probably already on the 2022 models.

· Registered
24 Posts
I don't know, I have a 2022 and after the first service it seemed more peppy and less vibey. I wondered if there was a break in limiter on the bike, similar to cars nowadays. Maybe it was an update?
Was this the running in service, or another service after that? Only thing I noticed after my 'running in' service was the gear changes being more smooth and dialled in. But I attributed that to the chain being tightened and the oil being change. Nothing dramatically different.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
It would depend on where your bike was in que in assembly. Manufacturers change software without much documentation as they encounter issues. On the 310 there’s not much, it’s not a very smart ECU, quite archaic really. But especially at the 600 run in service if there were upgrades you‘d get them then along with your screen no longer telling you to service the bike. It’s one of the reasons it’s a good practice to have the dealer re set the reminder at 600 miles, even if you change your own oil. Dealer is the only one with updates, if any exists.

Reactions: aaronL

· Registered
29 Posts
Was this the running in service, or another service after that? Only thing I noticed after my 'running in' service was the gear changes being more smooth and dialled in. But I attributed that to the chain being tightened and the oil being change. Nothing dramatically different.
First service at roughly 600. It might have been in my head, but I kept thinking this is seems "different" in a good way.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to BMW's Recall Look Up website to check my 2019 G310r.. Put in my reg no and got this reply.

"There are no open safety related recalls or technical enhancements on this vehicle."

So as it says there is no technical enhancements on this vehicle, I guess there will be no ECU upgrades.

Link to website below.

:)
My bike on the BMW website didn't say anything about the ECU upgrade... but there were other 'safety recalls'.
Dealer did the ECU upgrade for free. Imagine that most other BMW dealers charge for it. Dunno.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Thailand and got the ECU update on my 2018 G310GS today. The bike idles quite high now between 3-4k rpm but a noticeable difference in the peppiness of the throttle and hard downshifts seem to match better with a bit less engine braking. Aside from the high idle, it's a winner and the bike seems more alive.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I find the factory idle speed annoying at 1500-2000 rpm Cannot fathom operating with an idle of 3 to 4k. Of course it feels “zippier“ but it’s not correct, nor it acceptable. The unit needs to go back and be repaired. Could be as easy as a hose left off.

Reactions: LMarr [DK]

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in Thailand and got the ECU update on my 2018 G310GS today. The bike idles quite high now between 3-4k rpm but a noticeable difference in the peppiness of the throttle and hard downshifts seem to match better with a bit less engine braking. Aside from the high idle, it's a winner and the bike seems more alive. View attachment 18039
Mine idles 'high' for the first minute or so... then it drops down to normal.
Do you have a newer model with electronic throttle... or an older one with cable linked throttle ?

· Registered
2 Posts
If your idle is staying at 3-4k all the time, you've got a problem. According to the 2018 manual (screenshot below), the idle specification is 1600 +/- 100 (1500-1700) rpm. Incidentally, it's still the same in my 2022 manual.

View attachment 18042
Thanks guys. Took it back and they reflashed the ECU again and it's fixed with the proper idle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts