BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, helped me out here, can't decide..the 310 or the 650 single. Need a lightweight adventure bike that can do the tarmac as well. Current bikes DRZ400E Oz spec and a R65LS

Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
First of all, which of the BMW 650 singles are you comparing with and with which of the G310's are you comparing it with? The equation has about 20 variables, roughly speaking ten 650's and two 310's. Maybe you should also include the 450's in your comparison group!? Answering this question is as easy as answering the question: How long is a rope?

·
Registered
90 Posts
depends on the usage. I don't think F650 is suited for off-road. If you need a dual-purpose maybe better the G650 single cylinder

·
Registered
446 Posts
depends on the usage. I don't think F650 is suited for off-road. If you need a dual-purpose maybe better the G650 single cylinder
The F650GS Dakar is no enduro machine but as it has a 21" front wheel it has no problems for dual-purpose usage. A F650CS on the other hand is not suited for anything but hard surface. I personally did voluntary dispatch rider duty for the Home Guard on a 2002 F650GS. In winter I equipped it with skies. Of course my ordinary service bike, a Husqvarna MC-258A (automatic) was more suited for off-road duty, but the Beemer managed fine too.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
164 Posts
I like the G310R/G310GS for highway use up to 15..30 kilometers.
For daily use on larger distance I would buy a larger bike (which I have, but almost never use).

Fuel consumption is very nice for the 310.
R uses less fuel than the GS because it catches more wind.
(My experience is 1:29 and 1:26)

My S1000R was always 1:14..

I ride tarmac only..

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
164 Posts
No problems going 200 kilometers on my G310GS, and when Canada opens up for us Michiganders again, I plan to go much farther.
Yes, did the same on occasion.
There was a special training planned for me on the other side of the country.
Monday I used the S1000R which I owned several years ago.
Tuesday the G310R. Same experience (a bit more laid back on the 310 (y)), same travel time.
Fast enough on normal roads.

But for daily use on large distance I prefer a bigger bike.
For 10-30 kilometers I prefer the 310.. lightweight and better fuel economy.

Maybe I get more impatience after some time. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had no problems doing ~700 km on dirt roads two summers ago on my G310GS with full camping gear for two weeks. For long distance paved road travel I prefer my old Yamaha XJ900S Diversion, It's not as fun but does the job as pack mule much better than the Beemer. I also did a couple of +500 km days on a previous F650GS (thumper) with 50/50 tires some 10 years ago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did about 550 km on mine one day (paved roads) with one stop in the middle for lunch. No major issues, although my butt was getting twitchy at the end. I must admit, though, that I prefer my Tiger Explorer 1200 or Guzzi V85TT for mile munching.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Guys, helped me out here, can't decide..the 310 or the 650 single. Need a lightweight adventure bike that can do the tarmac as well. Current bikes DRZ400E Oz spec and a R65LS

Thanks
the old 650 has vibration issues.. Vibrations have been removed in the new model of GS 310. If you can handle big weights well as its game of balance(adventure), then 650 is good choice

·
Registered
70 Posts

Thanks
I think you must look for a BMW XChallenge 2007 could be the best option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 310 now and had a 650 single and the "650" that was actually an 800. Needed to get the lightest possible good road bike, so got the 310. If you can handle the weight easily, I agree with the person who said get the 650. I never found the single 650 vibrated problematically. Get an air-cushion pad for the 310 if you plan longish rides. I'm hoping the 310's reported durability issues affect only a low % of the bikes. So far, it's a fine little pony.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 650 single had issues with water pump, burning wire loom and bearing of the outgoing shaft (usualy due to too tight chain). I had a F650GS ym. 2002 from odometer 15 000 to 96 000 km, during 9 years. I drove it all year round, in any weather from summer heat of + 35*C to winter cold - 28*C. I had no issues with vibration, water pump or shaft bearings. I had to repair the ignition lock electrics. I made a hole in the engine cover when a drive chain broke. After the hole was welded, the bike was fine again. The last 50 000 km I had imprved suspension on it. I had the cheapest Öhlins in the rear and Hyperpro progressive springs in the front. Had to get rid of it when it started rusting to much due to lack of ACF-50 treatment and road salt.
Currently I have a ym. 2018 G310GS and am happy with it. I have 19 000 on the odometer and have had to change the water pump once. (BMW did not accept the repair as my two year warranty was 4 months overdue.) I've changed the cush rubbers and drive chain. I've removed the rear foot peg supporting brackets to save weight.
In comparsion, I preferer the G310GS over the F650GS. The newer bike is lighter and nimbler, it has much better ABS and is funnier to ride. Then again the 650 had better load capacity and better low end torque. The 650 also had a better range due to larger fuel tank. The G310 has a lot more plastic covers to remove before getting access to bike for maintenance.
I wold go for the newer bike, if I didn't need the load capacity.
There used to be an active forum and a very good technical FAQ on f650.com. The FAQ is to be found here nowadays. Go and check it out, if you want to dig deeper in to the F650 series of BMW motorcycles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 650 single had issues with water pump, burning wire loom and bearing of the outgoing shaft (usualy due to too tight chain). I had a F650GS ym. 2002 from odometer 15 000 to 96 000 km, during 9 years. I drove it all year round, in any weather from summer heat of + 35*C to winter cold - 28*C. I had no issues with vibration, water pump or shaft bearings. I had to repair the ignition lock electrics. I made a hole in the engine cover when a drive chain broke. After the hole was welded, the bike was fine again. The last 50 000 km I had imprved suspension on it. I had the cheapest Öhlins in the rear and Hyperpro progressive springs in the front. Had to get rid of it when it started rusting to much due to lack of ACF-50 treatment and road salt.
Currently I have a ym. 2018 G310GS and am happy with it. I have 19 000 on the odometer and have had to change the water pump once. (BMW did not accept the repair as my two year warranty was 4 months overdue.) I've changed the cush rubbers and drive chain. I've removed the rear foot peg supporting brackets to save weight.
In comparsion, I preferer the G310GS over the F650GS. The newer bike is lighter and nimbler, it has much better ABS and is funnier to ride. Then again the 650 had better load capacity and better low end torque. The 650 also had a better range due to larger fuel tank. The G310 has a lot more plastic covers to remove before getting access to bike for maintenance.
I wold go for the newer bike, if I didn't need the load capacity.
There used to be an active forum and a very good technical FAQ on f650.com. The FAQ is to be found here nowadays. Go and check it out, if you want to dig deeper in to the F650 series of BMW motorcycles.
My F650GS (with the 800 ccs) was a gem. I had it for only 20K miles, though, because I retired from motorcycling, only to be drive back by the pandemic after a year, when I decided, if the bug was threatening I might as well run into a deer. I wish I were a wrench man like you but I tend to create more problems than I solve if I attempt anything beyond an oil change and chain lube.
A G310 can't make the rider very competitive from a stop at red lights and such. You can take off just fast enough not to anger an ordinary car driver behind you. Once rolling up into 2d gear and beyond, however, you can enjoy a motorcyclist's right of road mastery. And it is, lighter, nimbler and funner even if it also makes you numb-er. Plus, those golden forks are mighty pleasing. You feel you're approaching that Norton you dream of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought the 310gs and am loving everything about it but of course do miss the of torque that my f650gs has (I am still gonna keep that bike though).. I live in Northern Thailand - a 300cc engine is plenty - my f650gs's legs were too long and strong for average village/trail/city use, always slipping the clutch, but a joy on the freeway. I used to live in San Francisco, had a carbuted 1997 f650, and along with the F650.com gang, bloody hell if we didn't take those big bikes off road far deeper than the teknikers in Stuttgard designed it for - many of the newer F650gs's came along and I don't recall any of them having problems. Know this though, like most most modern era bikes, the F650gs has electronics, and they are eventually going to go out and at 17 years old, my f650gs is starting to experiencing them in the handlebar controls. If you live in a hot climate and have to stop a lot, know that the F650 will give off way more engine heat to your body than the 310, it gets uncomfortable. Weight distribution feels very similar, cockpits feels nearly identical, handling feels very much the same (they are both good handling bikes IMHO). Definitely the 310 has less higher rpm "buzzing" in the handlebars.

The f650gs is a pretty damn big bike to go off-roading on (skill-level dependent). You can do 450+ miles on tarmac with the F650gs with a full load. Ride wise, the f650gs has a softer suspension which I personally like (I'm 185lbs), but by no means is the 310 harsh - it jumps curbs just as easily. The F650gs has the bombproof Rotax engine, and the water pump issue is an occasional but well-known amongst all the 650 Rotax engines but is not a big technical job to replace (I used to carry a spare kit with me, just in case).

One of the questions I have about the 310 is long-term engine viability - it is not a rotax, and quite simply there are times you will have to wind that engine up to get the acceleration you need.. My understanding is it was designed in Munich, I'm not sure where the parts are milled, but put together by long-time bike manufacturer TVS in India. My sense is despite that it will be a comparatively high rpm engine, I think BMW designed it with that kind of use in mind.

Good luck with your decision if you haven't already, let us know how it goes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts