BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, helped me out here, can't decide..the 310 or the 650 single. Need a lightweight adventure bike that can do the tarmac as well. Current bikes DRZ400E Oz spec and a R65LS

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
First of all, which of the BMW 650 singles are you comparing with and with which of the G310's are you comparing it with? The equation has about 20 variables, roughly speaking ten 650's and two 310's. Maybe you should also include the 450's in your comparison group!? Answering this question is as easy as answering the question: How long is a rope?

·
Registered
84 Posts
depends on the usage. I don't think F650 is suited for off-road. If you need a dual-purpose maybe better the G650 single cylinder

·
Registered
368 Posts
depends on the usage. I don't think F650 is suited for off-road. If you need a dual-purpose maybe better the G650 single cylinder
The F650GS Dakar is no enduro machine but as it has a 21" front wheel it has no problems for dual-purpose usage. A F650CS on the other hand is not suited for anything but hard surface. I personally did voluntary dispatch rider duty for the Home Guard on a 2002 F650GS. In winter I equipped it with skies. Of course my ordinary service bike, a Husqvarna MC-258A (automatic) was more suited for off-road duty, but the Beemer managed fine too.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
139 Posts
I like the G310R/G310GS for highway use up to 15..30 kilometers.
For daily use on larger distance I would buy a larger bike (which I have, but almost never use).

Fuel consumption is very nice for the 310.
R uses less fuel than the GS because it catches more wind.
(My experience is 1:29 and 1:26)

My S1000R was always 1:14..

I ride tarmac only..

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
139 Posts
No problems going 200 kilometers on my G310GS, and when Canada opens up for us Michiganders again, I plan to go much farther.
Yes, did the same on occasion.
There was a special training planned for me on the other side of the country.
Monday I used the S1000R which I owned several years ago.
Tuesday the G310R. Same experience (a bit more laid back on the 310 (y)), same travel time.
Fast enough on normal roads.

But for daily use on large distance I prefer a bigger bike.
For 10-30 kilometers I prefer the 310.. lightweight and better fuel economy.

Maybe I get more impatience after some time. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had no problems doing ~700 km on dirt roads two summers ago on my G310GS with full camping gear for two weeks. For long distance paved road travel I prefer my old Yamaha XJ900S Diversion, It's not as fun but does the job as pack mule much better than the Beemer. I also did a couple of +500 km days on a previous F650GS (thumper) with 50/50 tires some 10 years ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did about 550 km on mine one day (paved roads) with one stop in the middle for lunch. No major issues, although my butt was getting twitchy at the end. I must admit, though, that I prefer my Tiger Explorer 1200 or Guzzi V85TT for mile munching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts