BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new 310r is only 200kms old and is due its first service in 2 weeks. when I try to rev it around 5k + rpm (under 6-7k) I feel the engine taking too much strain as if its asking for an upshift. this kinda bugs me as on YouTube riding reviews I see people with g310r usually driving around 8k rpm.

Also, due to this, its demanding faster gear shifts in city traffic than id prefer. 3rd to 4th gear is too fast then usually I have to slow down and alas downshift again.

do things get exceptionally better after first service? or does my riding experience /style is lacking something? somewhat newbie here to biking (and this is my first bike so apologies in advance if I sound like an idiot or something😅)
The G310R's power delivery is very flat stock, it has no additional power from 6-9k rpm. If your not reving beyond 9000, your not even close to the power band.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe that the 310 is quite a balanced engine. It has enough torque right from 3000 RPMs and one can casually sit at 4th gear at 40-50 kmph without any engine protest.
However, the engine definitely wakes up at 5000 RPMs (which can be heard from the engine note) and goes berserk till the redline.

In essence, the 310 has a dual nature - a relaxed ride <5k RPMs and a hooligan at 5k+ RPMs. This was one of the biggest reasons for me in considering the less powerful G310 over the Duke 390. The Duke doesn’t like <5k RPMs at all and one needs to constantly keep shifting the gears. Whereas the G310 can do 40-100+ in 4th gear without any protest.

Regarding vibrations, I think that they make themselves felt only in the first 3 gears. 4th gear onwards it becomes a much smoother affair. Mine is the BS4/EURO4 G310R that is just closing on 3000 kms.

Cheers!

41 - 42 of 42 Posts