BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to one and all.

I have just bought an ex-demonstrator G310R from my local dealer, Lind Motorrad of Norwich, here in Norfolk, UK.

I already have a 2015 BMW R1200RT LC but it's not the most convenient bike for local 'hopping and popping', so I thought the baby G310R, 100Kgs lighter, might be just the thing. Took one for a test ride and thought it was a blast and here we are!

Already looking to get a centre stand from SW-Motech, although I understand from Lind that Motorrad is about to offer one. Knowing BMW it will be very expensive. Cannot understand why manufacturers have stopped fitting centre stands as standard. Well, I can, really: to save money. But a road bike without a centre stand, especially a chain-driven bike whose chain needs regular cleaning, checking and adjustment?

Haven't had a chain bike since about 1980, when I sold my Honda CB250N Superdream and bought a Honda CX500. Why aren't there more mid-range shafties about? Cost again, I suppose.

Anyway, I look forward to finding out more about this great little bike and to hearing of your experiences and sharing mine.

Ride safely and have fun.

GB

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed.

Hi there,
I too bought an ex-demo G310R, it had all of 480 miles on it from it's two previous owners, but I got mine from a Honda dealer!
I P/X'd my Honda 2015 MSX125 for it, which was really fun, small, light and very maneuverable in traffic, but just a little lacking when it had to deputise for my NC700X on commuting duties.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't you think its just a fad now that most bikes only have prop stands, I'm looking at a centre when around like you say much better for cleaning looks like not much change out of £200 for a stand, they always look safer than the prop don't you think ? 101.

·
Registered
154 Posts
According to the lady in the parts department, BMW plans one-at least for the R.She has a part number and gave me a price of a little over $150.00 with tax. She has no idea when, the list says "three days" which she said means it will be a while. I am on the call list though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought my G310R in march last year and payed upfront for a centerstand.
Then BMW came up telling me that they were not going to make a centerstand and I got my € 220,00 refunded.
Now SW Motech has a center stand for € 149,95 and I'm going to order one.

I agree that you can't miss a center stand on a chain driven motorcycle but I suppose they leave out some parts because of costst and weight.
The choice between shaft drive and chain drive is that a shaft driven bike is consuming more horsepower before it arrives at your rear wheel. Beside that, its heavier.
A shaft driven motorcycle needs extra power for the shaft drive and is therefore less effective.
The best way in bringing power to your rear wheel is a chain or belt and a chain is ...... cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts