BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh geez. We're not talking about riding a motorcycle on race track. I've jumped 50+ foot motocross jumps with a lowering link. I've ridden my own motorcycles with a lowering link. I'm 50 years old. I'm still alive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously, don't let the "experts" scare people into using lowering links. For people who are not lucky enough to be at least 5'8, we don't have too many choices. I've always imagined how better I would be on a dirt bike if I was at least 5'8. You tall folks don't know how fortunate you are.

·
Registered
748 Posts
you would need to shorten the side stand too. also i am not sure if this would work with Tractive rear shock with hydraulic spring preload.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ordered the CC 2” lowering link for the wife’s R. She is not comfortable with being tippy-toe at stops. I can post a report after it’s installed and tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just installed the lowering link last night and raised the front forks up all the way up to barely touch the bottom of the handlebars. I rode it to work this morning to make sure that it is safe before handing off to my wife. It was perfect. Handling was not compromised. I was able to do everything that I was able to do before the modifications. As a matter of fact, because it was so easy to ride, I was riding a little too aggressive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seriously, don't let the "experts" scare people into using lowering links. For people who are not lucky enough to be at least 5'8, we don't have too many choices. I've always imagined how better I would be on a dirt bike if I was at least 5'8. You tall folks don't know how fortunate you are.
Yes I know I am 5.5 I Lower All my bikes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed the lowering link last night and raised the front forks up all the way up to barely touch the bottom of the handlebars. I rode it to work this morning to make sure that it is safe before handing off to my wife. It was perfect. Handling was not compromised. I was able to do everything that I was able to do before the modifications. As a matter of fact, because it was so easy to ride, I was riding a little too aggressive.
That sounds like a lot the raise the front forks ??? do you know much that was in Millimetres ?? as I am interested in lowering mine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That sounds like a lot the raise the front forks ??? do you know much that was in Millimetres ?? as I am interested in lowering mine.
same as in the rear. but the best way to check is to check the rider's sag. on both ends, it should be around 60mm. but there is no issue with having the front forks higher. i like it, because I like to sit a bit back. there are not absolute rules here. you can lower the rear shock and keep the front as it was, no problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn’t care about the exact measurements. I raised the forks up until it hits the handlebar then gave it 1mm of clearance. If you’re on the fence, just do it. It’s fine. It’s only $250 for the linkage.

·
Registered
748 Posts
for sport type riding, having lower front improves the bike's geometry. For cruising or even off-roading, having higher front is more comfortable. I did not lower my bike, but I did rise a bit the front, just so only 1mm is showing from the bottom of the front caps.

also lifting the front has a bit similar effect as rising the handlebars or bringing them closer. with my harder hyperpro front springs, the bike naturally is higher on the front - less sag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cc Products lowering link arrived came yesterday and started installation today. Unfortunately, upon removing the rear shock I found a couple of the needle bearings were damaged and the race inside the shock was scored. The bike is now at the local dealer awaiting warranty service. In the meanwhile, here are a couple pics of the link.

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
Cc Products lowering link arrived came yesterday and started installation today. Unfortunately, upon removing the rear shock I found a couple of the needle bearings were damaged and the race inside the shock was scored. The bike is now at the local dealer awaiting warranty service.

Did you take any photos of the shock damage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you take any photos of the shock damage?

No, didn’t think to do that. There was a bent bearing and a broken bearing and some scoring of the outside race in which the bearings reside. It was very difficult to pull the inner bearing sleeve out of the shock. I suspect that during assembly, the inner race was pressed into the shock with some bearings not seated properly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, didn’t think to do that. There was a bent bearing and a broken bearing and some scoring of the outside race in which the bearings reside. It was very difficult to pull the inner bearing sleeve out of the shock. I suspect that during assembly, the inner race was pressed into the shock with some bearings not seated properly.

I had a better experience. Everything came out smoothly. Did you use a hammer? The instructions mentioned not to use a hammer. :)
How hard or easy it requires to remove depends on the load of the bike on this linkage. At the right load and position of the swingarm, it was easy to remove by hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a better experience. Everything came out smoothly. Did you use a hammer? The instructions mentioned not to use a hammer. :)

How hard or easy it requires to remove depends on the load of the bike on this linkage. At the right load and position of the swingarm, it was easy to remove by hand.

LOL, no. It was obvious from the scoring on the race that the bike had been ridden with the bad bearings. It was not my doing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts