BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. . . . I just joined this group, thanks for being here and all your contributions. I just signed to purchase a used 310, which is supposed to be delivered in about a week (supposed). It'll be still too cold to ride, so my best way of getting to know the bike is to read your posts and experiences.

I've had some bigger bikes, took a lot of years off from riding, then a couple of years ago I bought a Suzuki GW250F, a faired bike. I need to get back to my familiarity with bikes and 'those feelings' that go with riding motorcycles. Whereas I used to always clip along at 140 kph, I learned to be happy with humming along at 80 kph. Seems I hardly have a need to lean any more, but, oh how I miss banking into a turn on a big bike.

So I've looked at the 'big boys' bikes, and all the others. Then I determined that most of my riding is pokin' along. The 310 was sitting there and after straddling some others on tip-toes, I sat on the 310. My butt felt like it had come home. I kayak a lot, and we say the kayak has to fit you. This bike fits me. It was comfortable, the reach and all were to my liking. I know there'll be times I want to crank on and nearly slide off the back of the bike, but at 75 years, I've learned some things.

This will be my first bike with LED lighting, and after living in a deer yard area, I'll be happy for that white light instead of that dull yellow glow of old. I've had enough of lights shutting off at high speed, too, thanks. I've got the 'sport' model, but don't expect to see me dragging knees or knuckles. I plan to do some parking lot loops, stops and starts, and maybe even some time picking the bike up; not that I'll ever use THAT skill. I like the way the bike wiggled left and right as I stood doing a hip shake in the dealership. I've learned that when the bike starts to fall away from you, a light bike is easier to pull back to you like an agile partner in a dance than six or seven hundred pounds of metal and cracked plastic.

So, if you pass some old fart on the road, bumbling along at or under the speed limit, gazing at hills and wildlife, it could be me. See you on the road my friends. Soon enough.

... maybe not soon enough ...

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
Welcome from snowy Finland too. As you will notice this is a good source for a lot of BMW G310 related information. It's a forum with a professional attitude where we discuss matters seriously, specially we Finns who are known to lack any sense of humor.
too cold to ride
It's only a matter of dressing (and heated gear/boots/handle bars) and having good bar end muffs.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard and CHEERS from Bulgaria's Black Sea coast.

(I lived on Vancouver Island for 27 years).
Thanks, soon, we ride!
Welcome from snowy Finland too. As you will notice this is a good source for a lot of BMW G310 related information. It's a forum with a professional attitude where we discuss matters seriously, specially we Finns who are known to lack any sense of humor.

It's only a matter of dressing (and heated gear/boots/handle bars) and having good bar end muffs.
Thanks . I'll wait 'til the tar is hot. No interesting paces to ride, locally. I used to ride in the winder years ago, and nearly got other vehicles hitting me too many times. I, of course, was a perfect rider. But I don't want to fall at this age and in this health. I will keep the earmufs warm though, in case ...

· Registered
1,082 Posts
The no hassle Hassleman out trying to get folks all cold with crazy talk of riding with skis and chains and spiked tires. All the while he’s not talking how he’s not going in it unless he wants a konk on the noggin from his old lady! Ha ha ha. I say snow is for snowboards and skis. Well and perhaps young moto junkies needing to get to work.

Reactions: hasselman

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
The no hassle Hassleman out trying to get folks all cold with crazy talk of riding with skis and chains and spiked tires. All the while he’s not talking how he’s not going in it unless he wants a konk on the noggin from his old lady! Ha ha ha. I say snow is for snowboards and skis. Well and perhaps young moto junkies needing to get to work.
I did manage to persuade the Missus to accept I drive to my dojo with my ATV. It's not fully comparable to winter motorcycle riding, but great fun anyway. Heated grips and bar muffs keeps my hands warm and sled dress keeps the cold away from my body. Driving with rear wheel drive only makes drifting possible and feels almost like bike drifting. If I'm cheating, I don't know, but it's nice to enjoy the snow on days when the temp is below freezing. On thaw days I will take an other 4-wheel vehicle I just bought last Sunday. Not even I like to ride in the wet sleet.

· Registered
GS 310
25 Posts
So. . . . I just joined this group, thanks for being here and all your contributions. I just signed to purchase a used 310, which is supposed to be delivered in about a week (supposed). It'll be still too cold to ride, so my best way of getting to know the bike is to read your posts and experiences.

I've had some bigger bikes, took a lot of years off from riding, then a couple of years ago I bought a Suzuki GW250F, a faired bike. I need to get back to my familiarity with bikes and 'those feelings' that go with riding motorcycles. Whereas I used to always clip along at 140 kph, I learned to be happy with humming along at 80 kph. Seems I hardly have a need to lean any more, but, oh how I miss banking into a turn on a big bike.

So I've looked at the 'big boys' bikes, and all the others. Then I determined that most of my riding is pokin' along. The 310 was sitting there and after straddling some others on tip-toes, I sat on the 310. My butt felt like it had come home. I kayak a lot, and we say the kayak has to fit you. This bike fits me. It was comfortable, the reach and all were to my liking. I know there'll be times I want to crank on and nearly slide off the back of the bike, but at 75 years, I've learned some things.

This will be my first bike with LED lighting, and after living in a deer yard area, I'll be happy for that white light instead of that dull yellow glow of old. I've had enough of lights shutting off at high speed, too, thanks. I've got the 'sport' model, but don't expect to see me dragging knees or knuckles. I plan to do some parking lot loops, stops and starts, and maybe even some time picking the bike up; not that I'll ever use THAT skill. I like the way the bike wiggled left and right as I stood doing a hip shake in the dealership. I've learned that when the bike starts to fall away from you, a light bike is easier to pull back to you like an agile partner in a dance than six or seven hundred pounds of metal and cracked plastic.

So, if you pass some old fart on the road, bumbling along at or under the speed limit, gazing at hills and wildlife, it could be me. See you on the road my friends. Soon enough.

Eh, like we say. Hello and welcome. Where are you located? We live in the beautiful Oranagen. This year I plan a cross Canada trip with my G310GS and hope to meet with "310ers" along the way.
Harald

1 - 8 of 8 Posts