BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself. From arizona and we got our g310r a month ago as an upgrade to replace the wife's grom. So far we like the bike quite a bit. Curious though do you guys notice it kind of tricky when pulling out? Seems very easy to stall. Thought it was kind of funny it's easier to pull out on my fz10. Only asking because the ease of stalling really puts a damper on the wife's riding confidence. She had no stalling issues on her grom and she even rode my fz10 around with no issues. I also have trouble not stalling the bike. Just curious what you guys think

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Took me a few tries on the test ride to get the feel of the clutch engagement down. The engagement point was different than my last bike. Didn't have any issues after that. Just ride it and get used to it. Also welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Can't wait for companies to start offering aftermarket parts for it. First mod will most likely be the akropovic exhaust. The wife asked me the other day what we can do to make it sound better. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is my first bike and have found no stalling issues short of beginners nerves and needing to give it quite a bit more throttle on even a slight incline than first expecting.

There was a ride review online that said the clutch was an on/off switch. May be a manufacture or dealer set up defect as i have been on 2 310r's and both have a smooth gradual clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum!

This is my first bike and have found no stalling issues short of beginners nerves and needing to give it quite a bit more throttle on even a slight incline than first expecting.

There was a ride review online that said the clutch was an on/off switch. May be a manufacture or dealer set up defect as i have been on 2 310r's and both have a smooth gradual clutch.
I actually dropped it off at the dealer last night. They're going to give it a good run through. Should hear back later today. They also confirmed the issue we're having isn't common or normal. Hoping they find something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let us know how it goes. Sucks to have to take it back after just getting it regardless but hopefully they arent too busy and give you a call soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the madness. Octane is passed out on Thursdays.

Comparing the Grom to the 310R, the clutch engagement is different, with its leverage at the lever and inside the motor with the cam surface on the clutch disengagement. The lever is softer in pull on the 310R and the engagement is closer to the bar compared to my 2015 Grom. The stalling of the motor is due to the details prior along with the very light idle. It only takes a little practice being a bit more aggressive with throttle input and clutch engagement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You bring up light idle. Is this a good thing, bad thing or does it not really matter? Just to get over a 2-3cm bump it requires quite a bit more throttle than you think it would.

Im no master, but the g125 i did to pass my test pulls with no throttle more than the 310r. I can see the benefit of having a higher idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the madness. Octane is passed out on Thursdays.

Comparing the Grom to the 310R, the clutch engagement is different, with its leverage at the lever and inside the motor with the cam surface on the clutch disengagement. The lever is softer in pull on the 310R and the engagement is closer to the bar compared to my 2015 Grom. The stalling of the motor is due to the details prior along with the very light idle. It only takes a little practice being a bit more aggressive with throttle input and clutch engagement.
I did notice the exact characteristics you pointed out. I went and picked ours up today. The technicians did a once over on the bike and all is well. I think my issue is I'm so used to my FZ10. You have to be very careful with that bike or things can get out of hand. Haha. Plus it has a completely different feel than the g310 with pulling out. On the way home from the dealer I started giving it a more aggressive throttle input when pulling out. This seemed to do the trick. I think the light idle combined with the throttle requiring a bit more input for a response was causing the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
it is not about the RPM's at idle, it is how much torque is generated at those levels. The 310R does not have massive idle torque of other multi-cylinder bikes, let alone single cylinder dirt bikes. Riding slowly (slow walking pace, on the edge of stability) in first gear, feathering the clutch on the 310R is a great way to practice for getting the R1200GSW off in the sand with less consequences.

Keep practicing, the fun builds from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Welcome Osiris. I’m a brand new rider and the the G310R is my first ride. After a week on the bike I’ve noticed I hardly stall it out at all. Enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aziza thanks for that info. I am not having problems at slow speed or stalling as like Brad this is also my first bike so it seems normal and have nothing to compare to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome Osiris. I’m a brand new rider and the the G310R is my first ride. After a week on the bike I’ve noticed I hardly stall it out at all. Enjoy!
Thanks. I think my problem was not knowing the bike that well. Hoping on the g310 after riding my fz10 all the time is quite the change. I found it pretty easy to ride after I took a second and actually felt the bike out. Just need to give it more throttle input than I'm used too. Going to take the wife out this weekend so she can practice getting used to it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi O, from Diamond Back country ! luv the snakes ! I think its a matter of getting used to the clutch and prevent stalling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That sucks. I feel for you bro. I just hope they figure out what the problem is and it doesn't turn into one of those phantom issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts