BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all.
Not long took delivery of 310R. It's my 6th BM in 20 odd years (K100RS/K1100LT/R1100RT/R1150GS (should never have sold it)/F800GS). Only chose 310R 'cos my legs have shrunk, so find GS's kinda tall. (I'm 73).
So far found the 310 to be a wee bit gutless, but it's growing on me. It's comfy enough, especially after the GS plank they call a saddle! Also a damn sight lighter and chuckable.
Have ideas about what I'm going to fit as "extras" (centre stand/fly screen/rear carrier). Have fitted a seat pad as found it to be a bit low, and a fender extender. Had BM handguards fitted on purchase.
So far quite happy with it, apart from it being a bugger to start from cold. Here it is on collection day.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
53 Posts
Welcome, I have the same problem the shrinking legs and finding bikes feel heavier and I am only 65 I also have had 6 BMWs. I have a Pugh screen good quality and fits very well. I would advice you to get a battery tender for the colder weather, I use a Optimate 6 if you do not already have one. The battery is on the low capacity side and does not take many start attempts to cause it fail. Some members have got larger capacity batteries to help with this problem. If you purchase from a BMW dealer I would check the latest brake caliper recall has been done and side stand recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
65?? You ain't an old biker (yet)😀
I have the BMW charger/conditioner, so OK there. I intend to remove the battery when it gets really cold.
The caliper recall has been done (had to wait a month for the replacement to arrive - big demand evidently!)
No one at the dealer said anything about a side stand recall. What's that about then??
Have a flyscreen on order (cheapo Chinese effort - I AM Scottish, after all), and waiting for it to arrive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you search for side stand recall on the site you will find enough to fill a book!! I understand it affects BMW GS/R 310s built before May 2018 after that date BMW changed the design of the stand and frame. I think some of the problem was riders mounting the bike like a horse! Standing on the footrest with the side stand down. The caliper delay is because of a number of issues the main one is COVID-19 affecting production in India. The other is it affects a number of other bikes like KTM a number of other models in the BMW range. I also have a 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor and was told last month at my first 300mls service my calipers would be replaced at a later date.
My 2019 G310R new side stand from 2019.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Roni310 , seem a lot of us 'old farts' are moving to small bikes.
RE a bit gutless - I use LOTS of revs and this does make up for the lack of torque that bigger motors have.
ATB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search for side stand recall on the site you will find enough to fill a book!! I understand it affects BMW GS/R 310s built before May 2018 after that date BMW changed the design of the stand and frame. I think some of the problem was riders mounting the bike like a horse! Standing on the footrest with the side stand down. The caliper delay is because of a number of issues the main one is COVID-19 affecting production in India. The other is it affects a number of other bikes like KTM a number of other models in the BMW range. I also have a 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor and was told last month at my first 300mls service my calipers would be replaced at a later date.
My 2019 G310R new side stand from 2019.

View attachment 15289 View attachment 15290
Ah well - that clears that up. Mine is 2020 and stand looks like yours.
How do you find the Interceptor? I did think about one before I got the 310.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Roni310 , seem a lot of us 'old farts' are moving to small bikes.
RE a bit gutless - I use LOTS of revs and this does make up for the lack of torque that bigger motors have.
ATB
Only got a couple of hundred miles on it now. It does give the impression of being revvy. Roll on another few hundred then I'll find out!! BTW - I ain't an old fart. My legs have just shrunk!!😆

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah well - that clears that up. Mine is 2020 and stand looks like yours.
How do you find the Interceptor? I did think about one before I got the 310.
I love Interceptor it’s very smooth. I went to my local dealer as soon as the pre-production examples where in, but I have a very narrow side entrance to my house and out of the many BMWs and Triumphs I have owned the Enfield has the widest twin exhaust at 27in!! no chance of it fitting. I had a test ride on a 310R and was surprised how it went for only 34hp yes you had to rev it but it was fun and very light. This July a company called Tecbikeparts who make parts and exhaust systems for Triumphs designed a 2in1 system for the RE Interceptor. I had my RE dealer order and fit one to a new Interceptor on delivery to house the box containing the original exhaust system took two of us the carry the box. The weight saving I think makes the Interceptor just a bit heavier than the 310R and the weight is higher up. The Interceptor is a great example of a classic looking bike but modern engine and systems. I am a fine weather rider now so I do not mind all the polished engine cases to keep clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts