BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this possibly helpful to others tip. I had the new (Non-single spring) style starter clutch installed when BMW replaced my alternator stator/rotor with the new riveted version. Recently the bike was dropped on it's side into some deep muddy water. Afterward, the starter clutch wasn't engaging consistently and then not at all. I opened up the cover over the alternator and to inspect the starter clutch but I didn't have a flywheel puller to get the magnetic flywheel off and reveal the starter clutch assembly. BUT....
I was able to spray some degreaser fluid through 3 holes in the magnetic flywheel into the starter clutch mechanism. The result is that the starter clutch now works again.
I hope this helps folks. If this becomes an all too frequent requirement, I could see a modification to allow a spray port and line to do this task without pulling the cover off.

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just thought I would post this possibly helpful to others tip. I had the new (Non-single spring) style starter clutch installed when BMW replaced my alternator stator/rotor with the new riveted version. Recently the bike was dropped on it's side into some deep muddy water. Afterward, the starter clutch wasn't engaging consistently and then not at all. I opened up the cover over the alternator and to inspect the starter clutch but I didn't have a flywheel puller to get the magnetic flywheel off and reveal the starter clutch assembly. BUT....
I was able to spray some degreaser fluid through 3 holes in the magnetic flywheel into the starter clutch mechanism. The result is that the starter clutch now works again.
I hope this helps folks. If this becomes an all too frequent requirement, I could see a modification to allow a spray port and line to do this task without pulling the cover off.

Cheers!
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post.
No Problem Kiwi, The problem continues to happen intermittently now . Mostly on first start when the system is cold. Catches after a couple of tries.
I will try to order a flywheel puller to take the starter clutch apart fully to inspect.
In the meantime I upgraded into a Yamaha 1300 as most of my use is highway miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts