BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted a volt meter and noticed I was charging at 15.6 volts which I understand is too high.

I ordered a new voltage regulator and just fitted it and now charging at 14.7 volts which is fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fitted a volt meter? Did early models not come equipped? That’s bogus if so. My 22 has voltmeter built in.
High volts could be issue for sure. You desire a 2 volt increase from resting battery voltage. Most battery’s rest at 12.5 or so 14.5 or so excellent. The caveat being if you have a lithium unit.
Those have a higher resting voltage, thus work better with a little more charge to account for that. Your old regulator might be ideal for a lithium bat ray! Save some serious weight and forget about bat rays for awhile….I’d buy that regulator if you wish to sell it as I will go lithium eventually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fitted a volt meter? Did early models not come equipped? That’s bogus if so. My 22 has voltmeter built in.
High volts could be issue for sure. You desire a 2 volt increase from resting battery voltage. Most battery’s rest at 12.5 or so 14.5 or so excellent. The caveat being if you have a lithium unit.
Those have a higher resting voltage, thus work better with a little more charge to account for that. Your old regulator might be ideal for a lithium bat ray! Save some serious weight and forget about bat rays for awhile….I’d buy that regulator if you wish to sell it as I will go lithium eventually.
I have a SHIDO Lithium bluetooth battery which kept flashing up overcharge alarms which is why I looked in the first place. I fitted one of those USB sockets with voltmeter and it became clear what was going on. I also checked it with a good multimeter. Anyway the new regulator is all good and no more overcharge alarms. (The Lithium is not supposed to go over 15V and over charge alarms at 15.5V.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did some homework last night and was trying how to say “I’m wrong” not that I’m not experienced at that for I’m wrong often. For sure you were fixing to kill your bat ray. Good call, stock unit only warns at low volts. With all the low draw lights, electrical demands may be changing giving engineers challenge. On my 22 there’s a voltmeter in one of the screens, is this something new?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts