BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several articles have been written about using Nitrogen to inflate motorcycle tires. It seems to have advantages from what I read. Does anyone have experience using this gas for inflation in motorcycle tires and if so I was wondering a recommended place to pick up the supplies.
Thanks.
David

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nitrogen does not fluctuate pressure like atmospheric air. Atmospheric air will expand and contract with hot and cold temperatures. Nitrogen holds a constant pressure regardless of temperature

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Air is 78.09% Nitrogen, so unless they suck all of the air out of your tyres before they fill them up with nitrogen, you'll still have a fair bit of O2 in there. Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in temperature, almost to the same degree (pun intended) as air.

There are some benefits of using Nitrogen: Nitrogen is less likely to escape through microscopic pores in the tyres (meaning that the pressure over time will stay more consistent), and nitrogen doesn't contain humidity that can be present in compressed air.

However, it would only make sense to fill up with Nitrogen if it costs less than $1 per tyre.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Imho, it's a waste of time, effort and money.
Used in airplanes, and for racing, and becoming more common in automobiles from the factory.
But for my needs, really pointless.
Although the little green valve stem caps are cute. ��

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
It's the humidity in compressed air that can cause a (minor) problem, but if you can get dry compressed air, this is just as good as pure Nitrogen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts