BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last 25 years, I've started my +200kg Ténéré many times with low battery by taking minimum speed just pushing it and clutching on the go, so I guess it will be a piece of cake with the 310GS ;-)
Good old way to start your bike. If you've been doing it with your +200 Tenere, it wouldn't be a problem with 160kg G310 lol. But actually, kick starter is a good thing to have anyways.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Flabmw, Do you still use that computer with floppy disks ?
In the old days we only had a kick starter but nowadays you will hardly find a kick starter on motorcycles.
Even motocross bikes have electric starters.
My first bmw motorcycle, a R65, bought in 1979, had no kick starter.

Now batteries are so powerful and reliable that you don’t need a kick starter snymore ( he, it’s a BMW)
It’s extra weight and 99,9 % of the time you don’t have to use it.
For that 0,1 % you can push or call for road assistente (IF you have a mobile phone next to your floppy drive computer ;-))

I’m happy without a Kick starter !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kick start? Seriously?

Cars don't come with a crank starter anymore for the same reason.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
The engine management needs the battery, even with a kick starter the G310 wouldn't start if it had a flat battery.

Alternatives could include a 12v battery pack small enough to fit under the seat and powerful enough to turn the motor over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last 25 years, I've started my +200kg Ténéré many times with low battery by taking minimum speed just pushing it and clutching on the go, so I guess it will be a piece of cake with the 310GS ;-)

Not rode my one yet (snow etc) but I gather the g310r has an electric fuel pump in the tank and so like many modern bikes cant be bump-started either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would be just as easy to throw a booster pack on it to get it to turn over. They come pretty small and compact these days so lugging them around isn't much of an issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Would be just as easy to throw a booster pack on it to get it to turn over. They come pretty small and compact these days so lugging them around isn't much of an issue.
Do you mean carry one around in case your battery goes flat?
Hepco Becker will love your idea.:laugh:

Reactions: Bas310

·
Registered
939 Posts
I bought the G310R for it's (lack of) weight.
Carrying a battery pack ............................... no way.

When was the last time you had a flat battery ?
Since I'm riding motorcycles I never had a flat battery (> 40 years).

Maintain the battery well and you don't need a battery pack (or get yourself a roadside assistance membership)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree - something like this: https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/ is ideal (the XP-3 or Sport), and useful for charging electronic devices like phones and laptops on the road too. Jx
I have something very similar to the XP1, but at a considerable lower cost, I have used it to jump start my bigger bike on a couple of occasions, before I replaced the original battery a few weeks ago.
It tends to live in the car as it's doesn't get used a lot in the better weather so might come in useful again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts