BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 310 doesn’t have enough mass to set off the floor thing for the parking garage at work. I bought a powerful magnet, $46.00 and installed it Saturday and was able to use it successfully this morning. Great day…

Previously I was exiting up an entrance ramp that I could squeeze by the wooden gate and hoping NOT TO MEET an incoming car on the way out.

Actually I overspent on the magnet, you may be able to get away with a cheaper one.

My magnetic personality didn't work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Years ago on a much heavier machine, the parking garage simply had one of the maintenance crew flip the switch for more sensitivity. People setting these things up must think setting for minimum sensitivity is like running a slower speed to make the machine last longer or save money. Glad the magnets worked.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parking manager of the building originally told me in January the system was set off by weight, so it was logical as my 310 is >150lbs. lighter that my K bike and wouldn't trip the switch.

When I found out that is metal mass the magnets work, too bad I risked life and health for 5 months...

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is a wire buried in the pavement. Look for the lines at traffic intersections. It is called a loop and detects magnetic metals. Ask the manager to open the box and show him the switch. I get pissed by people who refuse to set something up to work,.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a wire buried in the pavement. Look for the lines at traffic intersections.
And put your bike directly over (or as close as practical) the cut line. This is, essentially, a large metal detector - the closer to the coil you get, the greater the probablility your bike has of being detected.

And yeah - it's a PITA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've know about this for years and the only solution for some bikes is a magnet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts