BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking around to purchase a plug in code reader for my new G-310. There are some reasonably priced units out there on the market but I don't know the first thing about them and of course the BMW dealer will advise that you must use a BMW reader which I understand costs near $2000.00 USD ( How much of this is profit ?? )
Does anyone out there know which type of OBD2 reader and plug type that is needed to diagnose and reset the service due lights etc?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This was discussed over on Advrider.com concerning using a different OBD2 reader other than the GS-911 for reading the information from the CAN bus. I picked up a Scantool OBDLink MX for use with my R1200GSW, along with the correct adapter cable. The application I use on my phone to read the codes is called MotoScan. The latest version is 0.51beta and it does not list the G310 as a viable model. When I get the bike back from having the water pump replaced, I will have more information.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I checked their site yesterday and 310 is not listed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is excellent news, I'm sure that there are many of us who'd be interested in your findings 😀

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Toll! Herr (oder Frau) Dieseldriver. Hopefully there will be an English version soon, but me I am happy I speak some German. Does it matter which OBD link we get? Lx or Mx or ELM327?

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
268 Posts
DD .. can you advise us which obdc unit you find works for you, I have heard that some cheaper ones do not always work/ connect. Cheers, Jon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK - I'm being lazy, but what connector does the 310 have for the OBD port (standard OBD, BMW 10-pin, something else?) and where is it physically located on the bike?

TIA

·
Registered
170 Posts
Standard OBD.

It is between the battery and the toolkit storage space under the seat.

It is inserted in a plastic holder to keep it in place while not in use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, standard OBD port, so only the LX adapter would be necessary.

I also read that the cheaper adapters from China make troubles and not work stable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes the LX is a good choice but a bit expensive at 79 Euros,

Motoscan themselves suggests the UniCarScan UCSI-2000 at 49 euros.

At 100 euros for software and hardware, it makes a nice solution for a cheapskate like me !

Now just to wait until they officially announce G310 support

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Well, I just tried several times to buy the Unicarscan OBD reader from Motoscan in Germany, for shipping to the US but was unable to as according to the webshop message my Paypal doesn't want to work for them. Which is strange because I have a European paypal account as well as a US one, both ought to work fine. Oh well, will just order the cheaper OBDLink LX one off Amazon at about half the price, that should work just as good. I just wanted to throw MotoScan some business but alass. When the scanner comes in I will report back.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK ... I've also gone for an Amazon obd LX connector with a cable adapter.
The 'free' MotoScan app lists the GS+G310 and a selection of languages (inc english).
[interestingly the web page does not mention the G310.!!]
There are various levels of sophistication, but it looks like the 'professional' is needed to get rid of the Service nag/reminder. At €30 I can live with that.
You also get to Try before you Buy .. and I think the option to upgrade ..

I've got, and use a very similar set up on the Triumph - TuneECU -
New learning curve starting...

update ... this guy gives a good overview .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks all. I've had a Bluetooth LX for a few years now (it lives in my minivan). I guess that the van will just have to share.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a elm327 from AliExpress I use on my cars with the torque lite app.

I've been meaning to give it a try on the g310r, has anyone tried it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts