BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery went very suddenly. From strong, trouble free performance to toast, out of the blue.

Save your typing about stators and whatnot. No charging system issues on my 2021 (redesigned stator) with everything testing to spec. Also, the drain tests in spec. Nothing about the bike's systems contributed to the battery's miserable lifespan.

The battery would charge to capacity (~13.2v) but would fail under load. After a full charge (external source) I could get one crank (reading <8v) and that would wipe the battery out again.

Local dealer used their much fancier test equipment to confirm the test results from my home garage gear, and swapped for new under warranty. I am back on the road. The dealer techs were not at all surprised. Seemed to me they were too familiar with this drill.

If this happens again, I'll go after market battery and say no thanks to the warranty freebie.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
179 Posts
I have bought the G310GS in 2018 after the stator failed on my 2017 G310R.
But the battery remains a problem with low temperatures @ <10°C.
When I have not used the bike for two weeks the battery has to be charged shortly before 'igniting' the GS.
This is right from scratch in 2018. :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday I almost fitted the battery of my S1000RR (it was in my hands), but finally the little GS came to life with fifteen minutes of charging. :cool:

Dailey use seems to be no problem at all, but I use my bicycle more often up to 74 kilometers distance.

-My speed pedelec sufferd a flat tyre yesterday, so I did not charge the G310GS as I always prepare the battery one day earlier.
- Next time I will fit the S1000RR Li-Ion battery for a test as this bike will not be used for seven months because it is winter time and closed racing tracks are closed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Years ago, batteries were bigger and heavier..they "wore out" chemically. Newer batteries are smaller with lots of power in small package...they seem to fail mechanically..like a broken internal connection. When they wear out chemically it is gradual..mechanical failures are sudden.

I think the OEM BMW battery is made by DEKA in Pennsylvania. They are a good company, but I think Yuasa is a tad bit better quality, more robust and more expensive..especially the ones made and charged and sealed in Japan.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago, batteries were bigger and heavier..they "wore out" chemically. Newer batteries are smaller with lots of power in small package...they seem to fail mechanically..like a broken internal connection. When they wear out chemically it is gradual..mechanical failures are sudden.

I think the OEM BMW battery is made by DEKA in Pennsylvania. They are a good company, but I think Yuasa is a tad bit better quality, more robust and more expensive..especially the ones made and charged and sealed in Japan.
I have one eye on Yuasa as I wait to see how the replacement BMW battery goes. I'm carrying one of the new very lightweight lithium jump packs in my tail bag now. So never any worry about being stranded.

You're correct that this modern battery gave zero of the warnings us old guys are used to from a failing battery. I'm thankful for what tech has done to the size/weight of jump packs so we can conveniently hedge against surprise battery failure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have bought the G310GS in 2018 after the stator failed on my 2017 G310R.
But the battery remains a problem with low temperatures @ <10°C.
When I have not used the bike for two weeks the battery has to be charged shortly before 'igniting' the GS.
This is right from scratch in 2018. :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday I almost fitted the battery of my S1000RR (it was in my hands), but finally the little GS came to life with fifteen minutes of charging. :cool:

Dailey use seems to be no problem at all, but I use my bicycle more often up to 74 kilometers distance.

-My speed pedelec sufferd a flat tyre yesterday, so I did not charge the G310GS as I always prepare the battery one day earlier.
- Next time I will fit the S1000RR Li-Ion battery for a test as this bike will not be used for seven months because it is winter time and closed racing tracks are closed.
A little $30 battery tender is a great investment. My 310 came fitted from the showroom floor with the pigtail port for the tender, but even if you need to add one that's just 5 minutes work.

The circuitry in the tenders is extremely reliable and zero concerns about overcharging. Might as well plug up every time you return home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts