BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone fitted the BMW top box and if so how is it? What is the price, etc...? As I understand, one needs to replace the Alu Rack with an alternative one. It looks pretty nice and clean in my eyes....

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
It looks good, minor issue is that the lock can't be keyed to the 310 key. Another minor issue is that water can get behind the red perspex when riding in the rain, but can drain quite easily.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks good, minor issue is that the lock can't be keyed to the 310 key. Another minor issue is that water can get behind the red perspex when riding in the rain, but can drain quite easily.
what i like is that one does not need any adaptor plate. it is neat. I do not care so much about keys, but from what I know this particular box CAN be keyed to the ignition key. i am ordering the box but it takes some time before it arrives from Germany...

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
My main issue is I am trying to keep a clean, empty look so when I need to carry stuff I use a backpack. Also, I think the prices BMW asks for its accessories are higher than I would ever want to spend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me and my friend were of the same opinion, but trust me it helps a lot when you gotta go for more than 2 days and struggle fitting the duffle bags all around. I do have a Rynox one, but after buying this including the inner lining case, I am so **** relieved with luggage problems

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Last year I had to go on a 3-week trip to Cameroon. All my clothes and other stuff fit into a camping duffel bag I strapped to my back and rested on the passenger seat. Parked the bike for free at LAX airport right by the terminal. Had more space than I needed (I think it's 70 liters).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last year I had to go on a 3-week trip to Cameroon. All my clothes and other stuff fit into a camping duffel bag I strapped to my back and rested on the passenger seat. Parked the bike for free at LAX airport right by the terminal. Had more space than I needed (I think it's 70 liters).

what if you go for a trip and need to have your body free to maneuver on bad roads or any road as a matter of fact...? with this bad, it looks like a suicide mission :)

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes Kris, I would not recommend this for trailriding but for street riding it's just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used a Givi top box, it's their light weight one, probably made for scooters, it is lockable and only $99 retail. It has a mounting plate that with some slight modification fit nicely on the back rack of the GS. It is very secure back there as are all the Givi products I have. I use it to Carry my Mavic drone around. You can see the mounting plate in the photo. I just saw this post so I don't have photo of the box but it's their B32NMAL I believe, anyway it works great for light duty.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a Givi top box, it's their light weight one, probably made for scooters, it is lockable and only $99 retail. It has a mounting plate that with some slight modification fit nicely on the back rack of the GS. It is very secure back there as are all the Givi products I have. I use it to Carry my Mavic drone around. You can see the mounting plate in the photo. I just saw this post so I don't have photo of the box but it's their B32NMAL I believe, anyway it works great for light duty.
the problem with these boxes that have a plastic base, as I mentioned before, is that they rattle because the box does not sit firmly on the plate, and if it does, the connection between the box and the plate gets lose after some time. I have a similar one in Thailand. I find it annoying. the SV Motech with steel plate, or Hepco, remain quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say if it didn’t already come with the rack, you could go with any other top case. However, it’s so much cleaner looking with the bmw top case.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so I got the OEM box at last. here are the issues: I got just box, and had to order the top cover. the top cover (just a piece of plastic) costs more in India than the actual box! so I ordered it for half price from the UK. then, the box came without the keys and key barrel system, so I had to order it separately. all rather annoying. then the top cover did not fit really neatly into the box, ok, but not perfect. however, the locking system is very nice, much nicer than in Hepco, and no base plate is required. all in all, a nice box if you don't mind the hassle.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could you post some pictures Kris?

yes, with pleasure. but this video will give you more sense what this box is:

the box is well desinged, and the locking system is much better than in Hepco or Sv motech. the top cover is not fitting perfectly, but this is just a matter of aesthetics. for me, the win-win situation is that I do not have to use the top box base. NEVER use plastic base, no matter how reputable is the brand, it is ****. if you have to use a base plate, make sure it is metal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes, with pleasure. but this video will give you more sense what this box is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZx5uHQhHAs&t=25s

the box is well desinged, and the locking system is much better than in Hepco or Sv motech. the top cover is not fitting perfectly, but this is just a matter of aesthetics. for me, the win-win situation is that I do not have to use the top box base. NEVER use plastic base, no matter how reputable is the brand, it is ****. if you have to use a base plate, make sure it is metal.
I have the Hepco & Becker Orbit 54. I use it with their Alurack. I am pretty satisfied with it.
Was just curious to see the OEM case installed. I have seen the Topcase Light on a shelf, just haven't seen it on the bike itself.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the Hepco & Becker Orbit 54. I use it with their Alurack. I am pretty satisfied with it.
Was just curious to see the OEM case installed. I have seen the Topcase Light on a shelf, just haven't seen it on the bike itself.
The box looks nice on the bike, fitting. I had Hepco box myself before, and it is very nice too. I just rather avoid top plates if I can. I was also not so sure about the strength of the fitment of the allurack. its base is being attached with 4 tiny screws. in another bike of mine, where the rear rack was lower quality, the bolt holes stripped due to the vibration of the topcase

·
Registered
75 Posts
The box looks nice on the bike, fitting. I had Hepco box myself before, and it is very nice too. I just rather avoid top plates if I can. I was also not so sure about the strength of the fitment of the allurack. its base is being attached with 4 tiny screws. in another bike of mine, where the rear rack was lower quality, the bolt holes stripped due to the vibration of the topcase

The box and the plate itself are very high quality with excellent attention to detail in manufacturing. I looked over the mounting from the perspective of an experienced metalworker and if you even double the maximum allowable load, the screws are sufficient (as long as you use the original, higher-quality screws and thread locker).

I personally don't mind the plate. I did however add a small trail bag designed for the 310GS (ViaTerra trail bag) to the underside of the luggage Rack. I use that to carry my puncture kit and a cleaning towel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts