BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I could never understand why the rack was standard on the GS and just grab handles on the R, as the rack incorporates the grab handles !! if GS is fitted to R the handles are hung up in the garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The luggage rack makes the R look much better in the rear with that fender that sticks out. I agree it should be standard on the R as well, but it is not. The part new is like $270, so that and the other items on the GS is what makes it so much more. I found a take off GS rack for about $220 shipped, so jumped on it. I like the way it looks, but if you have the Hepco & Becker bags, you need to use the GS C-Bow brackets, two different ones between the R and GS. I already had them, so I just used a 1" square spacer I made. This also clears the longer USA turn signals to the side bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going to mount the GS rack onto my R tomorrow. Shop, where I bought the rack, offered me connecting material which I refused. Hoping it is not needed as it is the same on the R handlebar as seen on the animation below.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone know the weight capacity of the rack for the R? I have an 11 pound(5 kilo) metal top box (plus mounting plate would be around a 1lb) that I would like to use if I get this bike. I am wondering if it would be too much for the bike. I was at the dealer Saturday and they said they cold not find any info...

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
Does anyone know the weight capacity of the rack for the R? I have an 11 pound(5 kilo) metal top box (plus mounting plate would be around a 1lb) that I would like to use if I get this bike. I am wondering if it would be too much for the bike. I was at the dealer Saturday and they said they cold not find any info...
You should be able to lift the bike by the rack and a passenger should be able to put all of their weight onto the rack as it doubles as handles, so you should be ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I stuck a Givi Dolomiti 46L on my R with the OEM GS rack. That's a porker of a case even empty.

So far, it seems to work just fine, no appreciable difference in handling even with a fair amount of junk in there. I did increase the spring preload a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts