BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I haven't experimented with airing down yet. I ride on pavement to the locations where I go offroad and don't want to worry with adding air back before I get on the pavement again. Plus, with cast wheels, I don't want to risk cracking one on a rock. If I manage to wear out the factory tires next season, I'll be replacing them with something more aggressive for a bit more grip...but I'll still probably just run them at highway pressure all the time.

Have you experimented with different pressures, and which tires are you using?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not an off roader, but my best chum is.
He does lower pressures but it does vary on the type of differing surfaces.
He's also quite a light lad.
I think that you'lll need to experiment to get the best for your weight/surface/conditions

·
Registered
136 Posts
What is the preferred offroad Tyre pressure, gravel, sand etc...?

Don't know where you are but I have found in the UK that a phone call to the tech department (so they're not having to put anything in writing) of the tyre importer is the best way to get info on pressures for "non standard" use. Some of them actually ride offroad you know��

Maybe I have been spoiled by decades of trials riding on "sticky" Michelins but, on such tracks as I have taken the GS over, the Tourance at road pressure gets a bit upset if you hit a muddy puddle. Frankly, it is a road tyre trying to look like an offroad tyre. My SV 650 on pure road tyres was no worse on dryish tracks. Now that I think of it, the SV did get me to the top of the Sommeiller at a snowy Stella Alpina, but a pillion probably accounted for the rear wheel grip.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are on the stock Tourance tires, airing down a bit (by 5-8 psi) helps off-road.
On the other hand, if you are on better quality rubber that is a bit more off-road biased, you don't really need to air down at all. I replaced the stock tires with Pirelli Scorpion Rally Str tires and don't need to air down anymore when going off-road.
YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts