BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
by the way, the service man that came to service my bike (in India) did not even have a torque wrench. I had to used mine. basically, I serviced my own bike while he was watching.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I serviced my own bike while he was watching.
Well, thats excelent. Now you know the job is well done :smile2: When you leave your bike to the authorized workshop, you never know if they've done what they charge you for, but you still have to pay to keep the warranty valid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any oil is better than no oil. Don't sweat it.
You don't have to stick with BMW specific oil. Do you think BMW makes the oil? The answer is no!

Just go by the specifications and get ANY brand that meets the specs.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
by the way, the service man that came to service my bike (in India) did not even have a torque wrench. I had to used mine. basically, I serviced my own bike while he was watching.
How much did you charge him? haha

Reactions: hasselman

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have GS310 living in SG bike got parallel imported by myself from India bypass Singapore dealer saved few $. Did all gov paper work too 6 months to register 3 x bikes mine and my friends join to save shipping cost. Save 40% the SG market price as sold by SG dealer. but all hassled and pain worth depends on our liking. We got all tools and diagnostics from India do first service by myself. Change engine oil filter run diag test updated map etc.
My experience with GS 310 is made to use 15-50W oils as per the noise sounds like. parts clearance and materials used to suit design 15-50W oil. If use other grade oils you will compromise on wear and tear and engine gets nosier with thin oils.
I did change during the first service

OIL 15-50 BMW /Shell 15-50 fully synthetic oils. both are same just sold by shell or bmw.

Oil filter Mahle OEM manufacturer from India we got box directly . $6 per piece + shipping.

additional stuff done at first service METEX metal treatment 75 ml added to oil with 50 ml ceratec oil +1.5 liter 15-50W..

considerable noise reduced bike sound much quitter and smooth.

Dei exhaust wrapped as I found pitting and corrosion after water splash and dirt ride.

intake change to Ram air duct ( self made using vacuum cleaner parts)as I don't like the noise when accelerating.

Head light mounting change to Teflon washers and its stiff now.

rear mud guard

USB wiring

Safety camera M6

Chain with WS2 dry lubed.

Plug NGK iridium and coil change to TDR wire and Aracer coil.

Clutch lever and brake lever changed to Honning.

Skyrich Battery.

Quad lock Phone mount

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have GS310 living in SG bike got parallel imported by myself from India bypass Singapore dealer saved few $. Did all gov paper work too 6 months to register 3 x bikes mine and my friends join to save shipping cost. Save 40% the SG market price as sold by SG dealer. but all hassled and pain worth depends on our liking. We got all tools and diagnostics from India do first service by myself. Change engine oil filter run diag test updated map etc.
My experience with GS 310 is made to use 15-50W oils as per the noise sounds like. parts clearance and materials used to suit design 15-50W oil. If use other grade oils you will compromise on wear and tear and engine gets nosier with thin oils.
I did change during the first service

OIL 15-50 BMW /Shell 15-50 fully synthetic oils. both are same just sold by shell or bmw.

Oil filter Mahle OEM manufacturer from India we got box directly . $6 per piece + shipping.

additional stuff done at first service METEX metal treatment 75 ml added to oil with 50 ml ceratec oil +1.5 liter 15-50W..

considerable noise reduced bike sound much quitter and smooth.

Dei exhaust wrapped as I found pitting and corrosion after water splash and dirt ride.

intake change to Ram air duct ( self made using vacuum cleaner parts)as I don't like the noise when accelerating.

Head light mounting change to Teflon washers and its stiff now.

rear mud guard

USB wiring

Safety camera M6

Chain with WS2 dry lubed.

Plug NGK iridium and coil change to TDR wire and Aracer coil.

Clutch lever and brake lever changed to Honning.

Skyrich Battery.

Quad lock Phone mount
I hope your bike will serve you well, especially with all the modifications. as for the viscosity of engine oil, the ambient temperature needs to be considered. 15W50 is too thick for cold climate, but good for hot parts of the world. In principle, engines with high clearances require thinner oil. but I know people that put 20W50 in Tiger 800, a relatively high end bike, and they seem to be doing alright. thicker oil is more protective, but does not circulate so freely through the engine, and not so good for the clutch.

·
Registered
751 Posts
you are lucky. it is very good fully synthetic oil, and the viscosity is right for your climate.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I live in WI, I think next time I probably will pick some decent 10W-50 oil....cold start is a pain in winter
you will be also perfectly fine with a good quality 10W40 oil. honda 250 crf is using 10W30.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I dont think I will try that. The philosophy of engine oil is different between European and Japanese manufactures.
there is not much philosophy there. if you question the meaning of your existence, this is 'philosophy' :) thicker oil for the hotter climate pretty much sums it up. any oil from a respectable company will do the job. if you do not like to change the oil often, synthetic is preferable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I for my self put my money on the manufacturer. At least as long as the warranty is valid.
I do not know if everyone has same warranty as me, but the BMW warranty is way too short. It run out due to mileage limitation within my first adventure.

My bike had major problem (not starting at all under warranty) and it took dealer 5 weeks to fix it. And on the end they did not figure it out. They replaced just about everything relevant and had video conference with German mother ship; “it just started to work after software update” (dealer’s words). I’m waiting for it to fail again. This time out of warranty and out of luck.

So, I do not think this 310 is some hi quality engineering (nothing against country of origin or manufacturer), they just need to make a profit, and we all paying extra to get what we wanted ;)

_
Honda CB350
Honda NC750x
BMW G310GS

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do not know if everyone has same warranty as me, but the BMW warranty is way too short. It run out due to mileage limitation within my first adventure.

My bike had major problem (not starting at all under warranty) and it took dealer 5 weeks to fix it. And on the end they did not figure it out. They replaced just about everything relevant and had video conference with German mother ship; “it just started to work after software update” (dealer’s words). I’m waiting for it to fail again. This time out of warranty and out of luck.

So, I do not think this 310 is some hi quality engineering (nothing against country of origin or manufacturer), they just need to make a profit, and we all paying extra to get what we wanted ;)

_
Honda CB350
Honda NC750x
BMW G310GS
What do you think had happened if your bike wouldn't have had any warranty, who do you think would have had to pay for the trouble shooting?
I just changed my water pump sealing. I had to do it my self because BMW Motorrad Finland refused to take responsibility for the quality of their product. My bike only had a 2 year warranty and that run out in April. I notified BMW Motorrad Finland about it i August.
By the way, I don't mind you quoting my posts, but I don't like you quoting me out of context. The posting you quoted was about what oil to use and why, not about warranty in general.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I live in the tropics (Palawan, Philippines) and because the price you have to pay for living on a paradise island is ISOLATION, you can’t just hop over to your BMW dealer for servicing and parts, so you MUST look for alternatives.
My bmw dealer on the mainland Philippines wanted $45 (FORTY FIVE DOLLARS) plus shipping for a replacement oil filter!’!!!
I found a K&N equivalent for $30!
However if you all read the OIL FILTER ALTERNATIVES thread on here you will note that it appears a HondaCBR500 filter is a direct replacement! I can buy these for around $15!
It’s not about trying to save a few pennies. Apart from the HUGE price difference, BMW wanted money up-front by bank transfer which here is a 2 hour wait at the bank.
The HIFLOW Honda CBR500 equivalent is mail order cash on delivery!
I use 15/50 fully synthetic oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Geoff PD" we all benefit from your misfortune of living in "Paradise".
As I found a fairly good and reasonably good priced parts dealer, I currently have three OE oil filters in my possession. When that stock is used, I too will probably switch to HF204's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hasselman, we all benefit from your good luck in living in a country with 5 seasons.
You lucky devil you !
At this time of the year, in the middle of the black winter, I'm sure you do not envy me. Today the sun rose above the horizon at 8:32 am at settled at 3:40 pm. In between I managed to see the sun, yesterday it felt there wasn't even daylight, only grey dusk. On winter solstice (22 Dec) we only have so called day for 5 hours 45 minutes. Sunrise at 9:28 am and sunset at 3:13 pm. When the snow comes, if it comes, it gets a little bit lighter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just pulling your leg after you did it to Geoff PD....
For us in Canada it's hard to believe how incredibly north you are compared to us. In Quebec where I live , Helsinki would be deeply in the Tundra: rock and permafrost with lichen for vegetation and rarely a man height tree that's 50 years old.
Where most of us live, we have enough of 4 seasons. Winter is just starting these days, and the snow will stay till late march or start of april.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just pulling your leg after you did it to Geoff PD....
I had my fair share of leg pulling about 10 years ago, when I had a lumbar disc hernia. Besides, we Finns are known to lack the sense of humor. We even didn't understand the joke, when The Red Air Force dropped "bread baskets" over our towns some 75 years ago. Instead we invented the Molotov Cocktail to go with the bread.
rock and permafrost with lichen for vegetation and rarely a man height tree that's 50 years old.
That almost makes me feel like home. It's only some 900 km to your described part of my country.
Where most of us live, we have enough of 4 seasons. Winter is just starting these days, and the snow will stay till late march or start of april.
On my latitude we had so little snow last year it was impossible to drive a motorcycle on it, I had to have studded tires on my bike to get anywhere. The government canceled winter here down in the South.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts