BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can hear the purists shuddering, but here goes. In search of an alternative to the standard, and ridiculously priced, BMW 310 Mahle filter, I was told about Walmart’s Super Tech ST6607, price $3.93. It has the same diameter, same metric thread but is about 3/4 inch longer than the stock BMW filter. After watching some You Tube videos on Super Tech filters in general, I decided to give one a try on my bike.

Not that I would ever ride or drive 10,000 miles on any car or bike filter, but that is the ST’s advertised service life. I change oil once a year before parking for the winter with at most 1,000 mile added during our short riding season

While it may not have any definitive bearing on the internal quality, this filter is as nicely finished as any oil filter I have ever put on a vehicle. It does not look or feel cheaply made Filtration is noted as 30 microns or greater with a 99% efficiency rating. Last but not least, it is “Made in the USA with 90% or more US parts.”

Due to the slightly longer length, there is a little interference with the bottom plastic bash plate. I debated whether to just live with some minor deformation in the plate when the four nuts are tightened up but elected to modify. It took a couple of hours with a Dremel tool, files and sandpaper to get it just right but the final modification came out looking factory original. If I were doing it over, I would use a coping saw rather than the Dremel. Pictures attached.

When I change oil this fall I will cut the Super Tech filter apart, along with the old Mahle that I saved, and do a comparison. I suppose the filter bypass could have a different relief pressure but what are the odds that this would even become a factor when one isn’t even beginning to approach the service life of the filter.

On a further note, I have been running Castrol “Actevo,” 20W-50 4T, synthetic blend motorcycle oil with no issues after two seasons. It meets API SL and JASO MA2 specifications. Valvoline also markets full synthetic motorcycle oil that meets the same specifications. Both oils are available here; you guessed it, at Walmart, for half the price of BMW’s luxury oil.

Look forward to hearing any comments on how I have missed the boat on this one.

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Gas Machine

Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Carbon Camera lens
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Shoe Hood Automotive tire Luggage and bags Automotive design

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I can hear the purists shuddering, but here goes. In search of an alternative to the standard, and ridiculously priced, BMW 310 Mahle filter, I was told about Walmart’s Super Tech ST6607, price $3.93. It has the same diameter, same metric thread but is about 3/4 inch longer than the stock BMW filter. After watching some You Tube videos on Super Tech filters in general, I decided to give one a try on my bike.

Not that I would ever ride or drive 10,000 miles on any car or bike filter, but that is the ST’s advertised service life. I change oil once a year before parking for the winter with at most 1,000 mile added during our short riding season

While it may not have any definitive bearing on the internal quality, this filter is as nicely finished as any oil filter I have ever put on a vehicle. It does not look or feel cheaply made Filtration is noted as 30 microns or greater with a 99% efficiency rating. Last but not least, it is “Made in the USA with 90% or more US parts.”

Due to the slightly longer length, there is a little interference with the bottom plastic bash plate. I debated whether to just live with some minor deformation in the plate when the four nuts are tightened up but elected to modify. It took a couple of hours with a Dremel tool, files and sandpaper to get it just right but the final modification came out looking factory original. If I were doing it over, I would use a coping saw rather than the Dremel. Pictures attached.

When I change oil this fall I will cut the Super Tech filter apart, along with the old Mahle that I saved, and do a comparison. I suppose the filter bypass could have a different relief pressure but what are the odds that this would even become a factor when one isn’t even beginning to approach the service life of the filter.

On a further note, I have been running Castrol “Actevo,” 20W-50 4T, synthetic blend motorcycle oil with no issues after two seasons. It meets API SL and JASO MA2 specifications. Valvoline also markets full synthetic motorcycle oil that meets the same specifications. Both oils are available here; you guessed it, at Walmart, for half the price of BMW’s luxury oil.

Look forward to hearing any comments on how I have missed the boat on this one.

View attachment 17426
View attachment 17427 View attachment 17429
View attachment 17428 View attachment 17430 View attachment 17426 View attachment 17427 View attachment 17428 View attachment 17429 View attachment 17430 View attachment 17426 View attachment 17427 View attachment 17428 View attachment 17429 View attachment 17430
What is the benefit of changing the oil before parking up for winter rather than putting fresh oil in at the start of the season ? 😀

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the benefit of changing the oil before parking up for winter rather than putting fresh oil in at the start of the season ? 😀
Good question and I'm not sure I have a good answer. In my case, located in the interior of Alaska, the bike is parked for the winter in an extremely dry and heated garage. Condensation over the winter is not an issue and it always seemed best to me to have fresh, uncontaminated oil run through the engine prior to that six month storage period. If there is a case to be made that this fresh oil degrades in the engine, more than it does in the bottle, and that this is worse for the engine sitting for the same period with contaminated oil, I'm all ears.

Bottom line, I don't really know. I suspect any difference is utlimately insignificant. It's just my gut feeling that, in a least my situation, storage with clean oil is the better option. Thanks for the question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's one solution - there are plenty that are not quite so long.
that's one solution - there are plenty that are not quite so long.
I'm sure there are. For those still searching, some specific recommendations would be helpful.

It's pretty hard to beat $3.93 US for the ST 6607 when prices on everything are going through the roof

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good question and I'm not sure I have a good answer. In my case, located in the interior of Alaska, the bike is parked for the winter in an extremely dry and heated garage. Condensation over the winter is not an issue and it always seemed best to me to have fresh, uncontaminated oil run through the engine prior to that six month storage period. If there is a case to be made that this fresh oil degrades in the engine, more than it does in the bottle, and that this is worse for the engine sitting for the same period with contaminated oil, I'm all ears.

Bottom line, I don't really know. I suspect any difference is utlimately insignificant. It's just my gut feeling that, in a least my situation, storage with clean oil is the better option. Thanks for the question.
To be honest when I asked the question I was just curious, I had no idea what your reason would be or what my opinion was.. I did think it would be good to start each season with fresh oil but didn't know if oil standing in a engine would deteriorate, apparently it does.
Below a quote from this website.. How Long Can Oil Sit In An Engine?

How long can engine oil sit in an engine?
"Even though unused oil has a shelf life of around five years, it's not the best idea to use oil that has been sitting in your vehicle's engine for six months or more. Over time, motor oil loses its viscosity and ability to lubricate, protect, and clean your engine."

I'm not saying that's what you have to do, just brought it up for interest. I'll change my oil when the service indicator tells me to. :)

Ps, a neat modification to your plastic bash plate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You'll find more about alternative oil filters in the forum here...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest when I asked the question I was just curious, I had no idea what your reason would be or what my opinion was.. I did think it would be good to start each season with fresh oil but didn't know if oil standing in a engine would deteriorate, apparently it does.
Below a quote from this website.. How Long Can Oil Sit In An Engine?

How long can engine oil sit in an engine?
"Even though unused oil has a shelf life of around five years, it's not the best idea to use oil that has been sitting in your vehicle's engine for six months or more. Over time, motor oil loses its viscosity and ability to lubricate, protect, and clean your engine."

I'm not saying that's what you have to do, just brought it up for interest. I'll change my oil when the service indicator tells me to. :)

Ps, a neat modification to your plastic bash plate.
Good info TGuy. Thanks. I'm going to reconsider my schedule.

Have used the Mahle filter and have one sitting on the shelf. Paid about $15 each ordering online. That's about what I paid for a BMW filter three years ago. I'm afraid to even ask what the dealer is charging these days. Looking forward to dismantling both filters after the next change and see if there is any significant difference, other than the greater filtering area of the Super Tech ST 6607. I'm betting there isn't. For those with access to Walmart stores, and that may be limited mostly to US residents, I think the Super Tech filter is worth consideration at something less than $3.93 US each.

·
Registered
425 Posts
this is probably the definative list :-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is probably the definative list :-
Thanks for the list.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good info TGuy. Thanks. I'm going to reconsider my schedule.

Have used the Mahle filter and have one sitting on the shelf. Paid about $15 each ordering online. That's about what I paid for a BMW filter three years ago. I'm afraid to even ask what the dealer is charging these days. Looking forward to dismantling both filters after the next change and see if there is any significant difference, other than the greater filtering area of the Super Tech ST 6607. I'm betting there isn't. For those with access to Walmart stores, and that may be limited mostly to US residents, I think the Super Tech filter is worth consideration at something less than $3.93 US each.
I've no doubt that some like myself have searched the Internet for an alternative supply of genuine Mahle oil filters at a more economical price than asked for at BMW dealerships. The most common sites quote these for sale but from CHINA but knowing the propensity of our Far Eastern friends for sometimes being rather free-and-easy when it comes to manufacturing 'rights' and the ability to capitalise by producing spurious products, just how 'genuine' are these likely to be ?. I am aware that Loncen in China manufacture several BMW vertical twin engines so the quality it would seem is up to the standards that the Germans require so plainly they CAN make good stuff if the price is acceptable. Any thoughts ?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what its worth
I've no doubt that some like myself have searched the Internet for an alternative supply of genuine Mahle oil filters at a more economical price than asked for at BMW dealerships. The most common sites quote these for sale but from CHINA but knowing the propensity of our Far Eastern friends for sometimes being rather free-and-easy when it comes to manufacturing 'rights' and the ability to capitalise by producing spurious products, just how 'genuine' are these likely to be ?. I am aware that Loncen in China manufacture several BMW vertical twin engines so the quality it would seem is up to the standards that the Germans require so plainly they CAN make good stuff if the price is acceptable. Any thoughts ?.
The Mahle filters I purchased online, from Wunderlich America, were made in India and it appears, specifically for BMW. Price with shipping worked out to be $16.45 US each. However, I still remain impressed with the quality of Walmart's Super Tech ST 6607 and am happy to be able to support a US manufacturer. At $3.93 US each, it's going to take a lot to convince me this is not a great alternative. Hope to be able to say more when I tear each apart after my next oil change and do a better comparison.
Font Rectangle Material property Electric blue Fixture

1 - 12 of 12 Posts