BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like me you’ve been horrified at the price of what is in effect a rather small oil filter you may be interested in the following concept.
The standard BMW oil filter is a Mahle OC1141 which is 65mm diameter, 51mm tall with an M20x1.5 thread.
Interestingly the filters used on Nissan Almeras & Xtrails is the same diameter and thread size, but is 70mm tall (+19mm).
There may be other oil filters with better size similarities.
So my question is.... has anybody had the guts to put an ‘equivalent’ but non-regulation oil filter on their bike.
For me where I live out on a remote island province, a BMW oil filter from an on-line seller will cost me $40 + shipping, so you can see why a $7 Nissan alternative is an attractive option if it (or something else) works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can comfortably get my finger between the filter and the inside of the plastic skid-plate, so I think the 19mm (3/4”) difference is doable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can comfortably get my finger between the filter and the inside of the plastic skid-plate, so I think the 19mm (3/4”) difference is doable.

thing is different filters especially cars my have a higher rated pressure bypass relief valve inside
I am not totally sure if the BMW filter has one but I would be careful

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Maybe you can get a deal on a bunch of filters (say 4 or 5) ordered all at once, at least you will save on shipping. I would not play around with something as critical to engine health as the oil and filter. They don't need replacing all that often.

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you fitted an aluminum skid plate, you have to use oil filter with the oem dimensions. as there is just too little space. with the original plastic guard, I guess any filter would fit. they will all do the job. i got some oem oil filters and they are not too expensive. I usually change only every second time the filter when i change the oil

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$40 for the filter alone is quite steep.

If you shop around you can source them at $13-15 each.

Maybe one of these sellers have reasonable price for shipping to your place? Worth checking.

examples:

Oil Filter OC1141 (#1142889) Other Brands 1142889 | BMW Wunderlich America

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/of-889oc1141.htm

https://www.beemershop.com/product/mahle-oil-filter-2633.html

There are NO alternative suppliers where I live.... no BMW dealer, and only 1 source of on-line mail order type service sadly, hence they can charge a HUGE markup and nobody can complain.
This is why I need alternatives.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are NO alternative suppliers where I live.... no BMW dealer, and only 1 source of on-line mail order type service sadly, hence they can charge a HUGE markup and nobody can complain.

I bought four filters from China for USD 35,- They are labeled AHL and all text on filters are in French. You can find them on ebay.
I have not cut one open yet but from what I can see and feel they look perfectly fine.

Let the battle commense...

P.J.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
So no other online retailers will ship to the Philippines? Typically then some entrepreneurial types will offer to forward packages you have sent to them in, say, the US, for a small fee (plus the onward shipping. But if ordered in the same country, like the US in my example, shipping is oftentimes free). Perhaps another member here located close to the Philippines is willing to help out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
any filter will fit as long as you do not have aluminum gourd at the bottom. all these filters, kawasaki, bmw and so on are the same, it is just that the dimensions of the small gs filter are smaller. such a filter should not cost more than 10usd

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've found a K&N filter which is (seemingly) and equivalent.
KN-147. The only noticeable difference is the KN has the moulded-in nut on the end of the canister which I actually prefer.
Has anyone else used one of these? Any comments?

As a footnote......trying to find the oil filter specification from the BMW user manual is a NIGHTMARE!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi GeoffPD.. just be careful with that nut on the base of the K&N filter.
The canister at the base where the nut is can be a bit thin and the weld process weakens the casing.
Torquing-up can cause distortion and in some cases a small split.
This was/is a major problem with Triumphs - dumping all their new fresh oil ..!!!
I'd suggest using the traditional hand tighten method.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The canister at the base where the nut is can be a bit thin and the weld process weakens the casing.
This was/is a major problem with Triumphs - dumping all their new fresh oil ..!!!
pretty sure that nut on the K&N filters is meant only to aid in removing the filter. There's no need to more than hand tighten a canister type filter, just be sure to lube the seal before install.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for that.
What’s the normal hand tighten rule..... screw it on until the rubber seal just touches, then 1 full turn? Something like this?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I email'ed HiFlo to ask them about this (they list a few that might fit/work)
The reply was that they are still spec'ing the filter/engine before they will commit to listing .
I'm guessing that at least one of their filters is quite OK, but as a supplier they've got to be 100% sure.
They will be updating the web list as soon as they can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I plan on using either the Purolator PL14612 or PSL14612. Been using the 14610 and 14612s on bikes for decades without issue.

The PSL14612 is dimensionally similar to the OE/Mahle. It is also 65mm and M20x1.5, it is slightly longer at ~75mm but that shouldn't be a problem. The bypass spring is at 14-18psi.

Purolators have gotten a bad wrap for tearing canisters but I have never had a problem and oil I have sent out for analysis has encouraged me to continue to use their premium filters. In 30 years the only canister I've torn was an OE Honda put on at the factory, I suspect with an impact gun..

Concerns about bypass valve pressures need to be considered in context. The bypass valve in normal use should never open. It is there so that if your oil and filter are so contaminated it has made pumping oil through the filter too difficult. This should not happen with proper maintenance.

I wonder what the "overflow valve opening pressure" in the image speaks to? If that really is the bypass valve, what does the 2.5 mean? Too low to be PSI or kPa, too high to be bar.

Interchange for the Purolator PL14612 / PSL14612
Baldwin B1400
CARQUEST 85365
Donaldson P502067
Fram TG6607
Bosch D3300
QuakerState QS14612
Valvoline VO106
Penzoil PZ37 (LONG)
Wix 51358 / 51358 XP
Mobil M1-108

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I email'ed HiFlo to ask them about this (they list a few that might fit/work)
The reply was that they are still spec'ing the filter/engine before they will commit to listing .
I'm guessing that at least one of their filters is quite OK, but as a supplier they've got to be 100% sure.
They will be updating the web list as soon as they can.
I believe an HF204 / HF204RC would work fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts