BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
aob, I checked the Purolator web site for the correct size, but they don’t list BMW motorcycles at all. Like you, I’ve used Purolator 14610 and 14612 on a Triumph Tiger without problems or concerns. Do you think the 14610 or 14612 will fit? Thanks for verifying.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
53 Posts
I would be very careful of using non BMW oil filters unless they have been used without a problem. In the past third party oil filters in other bikes have caused engine failures due to the filters not maintaining correct oil pressure or collapsing due to poor quality. Like using cheap engine oil to save money is it worth the risk?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 4 pack of filters off EBay, from China (AHL). I have used many different brands of filters over the years. And most of the time they have not been the "brand" from the dealership. I used K&N for 9 years on the BMW R1200ST, and rode it 141,000 miles, I liked the convience of the nut getting it off. I have used High Flo, Purolator, Fram, Supratec..... others. Whatever fit after cross referencing. Never had and engine problems, changed oil and filter at regular intervals.

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
24 Posts
I would be very careful of using non BMW oil filters unless they have been used without a problem. In the past third party oil filters in other bikes have caused engine failures due to the filters not maintaining correct oil pressure or collapsing due to poor quality. Like using cheap engine oil to save money is it worth the risk?
HiFlo HF filters are equal if not better than OEM. Never used anything else for past 15 years on multiply bikes. Unfortunately, HiFlo doesn’t have yet a filter g310 and they do not show thread size/type on their other filters so it is hard to pick up one close to OEM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
this is as near as ... Hiflofiltro: Catalogue
or the 204 if you want a deeper one
all dimensions given on their website
Yes, I am aware of HF website, however, they do not show the filter thread size/type. The hf204 would be good replacement candidate size wise, but I am not sure about the thread. OEM filter is M20x1.25 and some filters are M20x1...?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guys, please back check me on this.....

Went to HiFlo and spotted other bikes using HF204, then went to Mahle site and checked for same bike....Mahle gives the connecting thread as being 20mm x 1,5.

Could be we have a match. I used a CBR500 as an example, but please do the research to check my method out.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Went to HiFlo and spotted other bikes using HF204, then went to Mahle site and checked for same bike....Mahle gives the connecting thread as being 20mm x 1,5.

Could be we have a match. I used a CBR500 as an example, but please do the research to check my method out.
That might be a good way to approach it. I would still prefer that someone tried to spin HF204 on g310.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Geoff PD mentioned this in the 1st post.
" The standard BMW oil filter is a Mahle OC1141 which is 65mm diameter, 51mm tall with an M20x1.5 thread. "

·
Registered
2018 HONDA nc750X, 2019 BMWG310GS
4 Posts

Well that is great news on the HF 204's. My other bike is a Honda NC750X which DOES us a 204. Like some of the other posts, I have used Hi-Flo's on everything with no problems. I will drain, save and wrap the old Mahle in case I have to take it in to the dealer for a blown engine. Don't snitch on me, eh?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a HF204....id not install it since my present oil and filter are new. The thing to know is that the HF204 is a bit longer (1/2 inch). Not sure if it will interfere with the under motor fairing / engine guard. More of a issue for the GS crowd than for me and my R...Still, nice to know there are alternatives, there are A LOT of Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc motors that use this filter type. With the number of BMW Motorrad dealers in North America this can be a be a life saver !

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I bought a HF204....id not install it since my present oil and filter are new. The thing to know is that the HF204 is a bit longer (1/2 inch). Not sure if it will interfere with the under motor fairing / engine guard. More of a issue for the GS crowd than for me and my R...Still, nice to know there are alternatives, there are A LOT of Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc motors that use this filter type. With the number of BMW Motorrad dealers in North America this can be a be a life saver !
The small extra length (64mm v. 51mm) shouldn't be an issue. I'm already using a K&N filter which has the hex nut moulded into the end and the extra length of the nut doesn't affect anything. I've sent an email to HIFLO asking them to confirm the thread specification of the HF204. Let's hope they reply.
For information, where I live the HF204 is 1/3rd of the cost of a BMW Mahle OC1141 and (even more importantly) readily available by mail order! That's a BIG advantage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well that is great news on the HF 204's. My other bike is a Honda NC750X which DOES us a 204. Like some of the other posts, I have used Hi-Flo's on everything with no problems. I will drain, save and wrap the old Mahle in case I have to take it in to the dealer for a blown engine. Don't snitch on me, eh?
I did the same thing when I replaced my original with the K&N. If my bike ever need warranty work I'll clean it up and swap it back :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts