BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my bike from a BMW dealership end of september. I haven't ridden it since as I was also moving at the time and now it's about 3 degrees celcius (37F) on average, so I'm not riding it now either. My battery ended up dying and I hung it up to my Optimate 4 and had a charged battery again. I try starting the bike but it just wouldn't catch on, some pops here and there but it wouldn't get going. When I went to get a flashlight inside, I returned to my bike and stumbled upon a little patch of what I think is oil.

What could have happened and what should I be looking out for?

TLDR: Battery was dead, charged it, engine doesnt catch, oil leak.

UPDATE: I'm afraid it's more than that. Seems like theres a starter problem. They're picking the bike up today and ill post updates here

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
604 Posts
Dip your finger in the puddle, put your finger under your nose to smell it, put your finger in your mouth, spit. If it did taste sweet, it's cooling liquid. If it smelled like oil, it probably is oil.
If it's cooling liquid, it could be from the expansion chamber and there is nothing to worry about. It could also come from the water pump.
From the water pump on the right side of the engine, goes a rubber tube to the left side and ends below the oil pan. This is a tell tale-tube. The tube is connected to a space between sealings in the water pump. In the case of cooling liquid from the water pump, you need to change the sealings. There is a spare parts kit for that. If it's oil, the same thing applies. Ether way, it's not the end of the world. I drove my GS for 3 months with a leaking water pump. BMW refused to accept to repair it under warranty or good will. My bike's warranty of two years had expired four months before I discovered the leak.
Now the sealing is changed, the yearly service is done and the service indicator has been reset.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Probably cooling fluid, keep an eye on it (level of cooling fluid), it may be nothing. I find that my cooling fluid level settles at around half way between max and min, if I fill it up any more then I get some coming out of the overflow tube until it settles at the mid level again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.