BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one else here over 70 years old and been riding for 50 + years and just got a 310r just for fun and its light weight etc
just wondering

Kneedown

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry, but can't help you out on this. I'm only 63 with only 40 + years in the saddle and riding a G310GS. I'm still a young rider, but I'm riding for fun and I do like the light weight (compared to R1200GS) of my bike, specially off-road and on dirt roads. Ride safe, keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
295 Posts
not quite KneeDown ... I'm catching you up @ 68...
Like you, age dictated a lighter type of bike.
Well, in my case the G310GS wasn't intended to be my primary bike. I ordered it for my wife. A couple of days before delivery I totalled the R1200GS by crashing it into the front of a car. After I returned from hospital, my wife told my she would never ride the G310GS, or any motorcycle. I started to use it, adapt it for my needs and now I'm very fond of the Baby-GS. For long distance travel on asphalt, I prefer an old Yamaha XJ900S Diversion. I bought it as a learning bike for my stepson. By different reasons, it seems I'm keeping it for my self. I'm dreaming of a Moto Guzzi V85TT, thou. Maybe someday I'll find means to fullfill that dream.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks
Nice to hear from all of you,,,,I want a Moto Guzzi too a v7lll for me

the snow is melting looks like 40-50 d this weekend

·
Registered
295 Posts
I look at the snow with longing. After my crash, I promised my wife not to drive in the winter anymore. I've been a winter biker since I started riding in 1981. Last year we didn't have winter in the south of Finland. This year it's nearly perfect winter riding conditions :cry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
You found one here. Seventy -six a few days ago. I've been riding since 1963 - America, England, Wales, the Isle of Man, Scotland, Belgium, France, Germany, Turkey, and a few other places. I was career USAF so the Department of Defense sent me to some of those countries.
In that time I've had three accidents - that I can recall - so I suppose I've been lucky. Over the years I've owned American, Japanese, German, Italian, and English motorcycles, and loved the mall - except the '57 Harley 750, which was rubbish.
My charming wife just turned 69 and she rides as well. Between the two of us we now have a 2018 GS310R, a 2015 Suzuki TU250X, a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, and a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a prize for the oldest, if so I win so far at 87. I got the 310 as a downsizing move from my previous Cagiva Elefant 650 which my oldest son now has. I also have a Cagiva Allazurra that I bought new in 1985, I am still comfortable on that one so it's a keeper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just turned 70 and have a G310R and love it.
I also have a Yamaha YDS3 and a Yamaha U7.

They are all lighter than the Yamaha FZ6 which was great on the road but was getting too heavy when I had to manhandle it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 61 the g310gs is my 14th bike and I love it. I also have a Triumph Street Cup which has become my around-town bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Eighty years old, 53rd year of riding. Bought a 310 because of the light weight and on and off pavement ability (I live in the Colorado moutains and am surrounded by many miles of unpaved road). I have spine problems and can no longer lift a standard size bike if I drop it so thus the 310 - even it is an effort and somethat painful to get back upright when flat but I can do it (recently dropped it twice in some really gnarly terrain where I should not have been, especially when alone).

I've owned 40 - 50 bikes over the years and not all of them have grown in my affections after purchase but this one has, a lot. About the only changes I would wish for is a lower seat height and a little more motor output. I have lowered the seat height 2 inches, needed because of a 17 1/2 inch inseam, and I can live with the small motor since I no longer ride two up. This bke has pronged my riding career and I treasure it for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any one else here over 70 years old and been riding for 50 + years and just got a 310r just for fun and its light weight etc
just wondering

Kneedown
Hi, I’m one of those over 70 and been riding for 46 years. Had every brand, cruisers, touring, adventure bikes, even a Ural sidecar outfit. I test road the G310R, and had to have one. I live in CA in Gold Country just off Highway 49. This bike is a blast on these twisting mountain roads. Looking to add a windscreen just haven’t decided which one.
Stangold

·
Registered
2 Posts
just wondering

Kneedown
I am 74 yrs. old. Been riding for 56 years. I have had as many as 7 motorcycles at once. I currently own only a G310R and a. Vespa Elettrica. I ride the G310R mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Which I can get on in about 20 minutes from my house.
The BMW is light enough to carry on the motorcycle rack I have on the back of my RV. The bike is plenty peppy in the mountains. Having a lot of fun with it!

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
33 Posts
just wondering

Kneedown
I am 84, been riding on and off in South Africa since my Ariel in 1958, mostly BMWs. Now in Florid. Had a fun couple years on the 310R and upgraded to the 310 GS. Believe it or not the seat is slightly bigger and it doubles the comfort range.
Love it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts