BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
any one else here over 70 years old and been riding for 50 + years and just got a 310r just for fun and its light weight etc
just wondering

Kneedown
75 years old here, been riding for 57 years. Currently have a 2019 310 GS and a 1250 GSA. Love them both. I tend to use the 310 for unpaved roads and trails and these days, I keep the big one on pavement now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
71 and riding for 52 years Few different makes but mainly Guzzi and BMW. Downsized from RnineT last spring and apart from having to think about the chain drive it’s the most fun I have had on the 310r.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'll turn 78 Monday (damn that's old) and riding since the 70s starting with kids on dirt and then going on the road. Like many I found the 310 is light and the old R1100RT was too heavy for the old man to push around in the yard. My airhead was down for head work and I bought this.
Summers are spent in east Tennessee, at the corner of Georgia and North Carolina. No better riding anywhere, but it is increasingly difficult for me to get up and go for a ride. A trip to the library to check email is 8 or 9 miles of really great mountain road so that does happen more often than any other ride.

Bob

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll turn 78 Monday (damn that's old) and riding since the 70s starting with kids on dirt and then going on the road. Like many I found the 310 is light and the old R1100RT was too heavy for the old man to push around in the yard. My airhead was down for head work and I bought this.
Summers are spent in east Tennessee, at the corner of Georgia and North Carolina. No better riding anywhere, but it is increasingly difficult for me to get up and go for a ride. A trip to the library to check email is 8 or 9 miles of really great mountain road so that does happen more often than any other ride.

Bob

I'm two years behind you but fully appreciate your comments. My venerable '93 BMW K75S was becoming too heavy to comfortably maneuver around the yard, and at slow speeds. The short bars on the S version didn't help nor did the top heavy nature of the flying brick inline triple, even though it was laid on its side. I don't know if I would ever have been capable of picking it up if it fell over but I can say that it took two senior citizens to pick it up when it toppled over a few years back. That was incentive enough to exchange it for the baby BMW. The 310R solved those issues, is a hoot to ride, and is perfect for rural two lane Maine roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
an old saying from the old man "you don't stop riding because your old..you get old when you stop riding"

sometimes the knees say no but the wrist still says yes
Keep going

Kneedown,Mike

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
56 Posts
Another 74 years old here, riding last 26 years after a long break raising the family. Bought the 310r as a second bike mainly for short trips around town, but enjoy it now even for half a day outings on back roads. Lack of power is not an issue, but vibration over 90 km/h is not pleasant. Otherwise comfortable, except lack of legroom, especially compared to my R1200GS with lowered pegs.
I might eventually sell both bikes and get Yamaha XSR700, light, 75HP and I like the retro style.

·
Registered
14 Posts
any one else here over 70 years old and been riding for 50 + years and just got a 310r just for fun and its light weight etc
just wondering

Kneedown
not quite yet, but getting there. 65 years old- riding 46 years. love the lightness of the G310R. Still ride a 1982 LS- sold the R100 and the Moto Guzzi V 65SP

just wondering

Kneedown

·
Registered
330 Posts
75 (and 1/2) here - riding for 60 years now. Presently have an '86 Yamaha SRX-6, a '13 Tiger Explorer 1200, an '18 G310GS and a '20 V85TT in the garage. All bikes bought new. The Triumph is getting just too big and heavy - hence the V85TT. The G310 was bought for riding dirt tracks and the plan is to ship it to Europe to ride a number of unpaved roads in the high Alps. Great little bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm dreaming of a Moto Guzzi V85TT...
Lovely little bike! I picked up mine last July and have far too few miles on it. I'm off to JAX (from northern Virginia) next week for the annual IBA party where the V85 will be making its debut and putting on some necessary miles.

20200910_113340.jpg

Reactions: hasselman

·
Registered
4 Posts
just wondering

Kneedown
I'm 71 here in Maine and I've been riding for 59 years. I used to ride an RT but wanted something lighter as I got older. I now ride an F800GT for the road and the 310GS for off road. I've learned that you have to adapt your riding style to your physical restrictions as you get older!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've learned that you have to adapt your riding style to your physical restrictions as you get older!
I noticed that, too. I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the contract, though.

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
56 Posts
Lovely little bike! I picked up mine last July and have far too few miles on it. I'm off to JAX (from northern Virginia) next week for the annual IBA party where the V85 will be making its debut and putting on some necessary miles.

View attachment 15576
How do you like that Guzzi? I used to have the 2012 Stelvio but sold it after one season. Everything too noisy and whiney, engine, valves train, transmission. Everything hot as well, I was baking my knees behind these cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a prize for the oldest, if so I win so far at 87. I got the 310 as a downsizing move from my previous Cagiva Elefant 650 which my oldest son now has. I also have a Cagiva Allazurra that I bought new in 1985, I am still comfortable on that one so it's a keeper.
You've got me beat. I downsized to 310GS last March and will hit 80 this coming September-- that's years not mph. The bike is light, nimble and does fine at 80 if need be-- this time I mean mph. I hope it's sufficiently well made not to have a vital part fall off at speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I’m one of those over 70 and been riding for 46 years. Had every brand, cruisers, touring, adventure bikes, even a Ural sidecar outfit like eboy outfits. I test road the G310R, and had to have one. I live in CA in Gold Country just off Highway 49. This bike is a blast on these twisting mountain roads. Looking to add a windscreen just haven’t decided which one.
Stangold
I have used this bike for 2 years and no other bike can compete with this bike.

·
Registered
2018 G310R
11 Posts
I'm 76 and have been riding all sorts of bikes from 50cc to 1200cc since 1960. My main problem is with riding position. I'm 6'2" with a long back and so I find most handlebars are too low and the resultant crouch plays hell with my shoulders and neck. I was seduced by a year-old G310R last year but I really should have got a GS for the higher bars. After lockdown I'll be looking for bar risers and/or replacement bars - Honda CB500X bars look good on paper. Failing that, anyone in the South West with a G310GS fancy a swap to a lovely 2,000 mile 310R?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts