BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone. I was wondering if anyone came up with an economically priced OBD2 Code Reader that can read the fault codes and reset the service reminder warning lights ? Many retailers do sell these plug in readers starting at around $20.00 eg: Wal Mart but I dont know if these will work for the BMW Motorcycles.
I was wondering has anyone had any experience with this.
Thanks.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have a pretty good generic code reader that I was thinking of hooking up to see whether it does anything, however all I have seen so far is references to one pricey ($400) model called GS911 from I think South Africa. So it looks like BMW has created its own special niche and only one company worldwide has developed a non-BMW tool that actually works. Seems like a very lucrative market that other companies should want to get in on. Meanwhile I hesitate to hook my reader up as I don't want to cause any issues by doing so (although it's probably harmless).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do not know much about Rheingold and Ista but I can tell you that they are far different from the ubiquitous OBD II.
It seems that BMW wanted to be totally different from the rest of the auto and motorcycle industry and I think they succeeded.
They have created a very closed and proprietary diagnostics system which is used to keep owners, shade tree mechanics and small shops from servicing BMW products. One reason that I will probably never buy another BMW....

The first video in the following utube link is rather informative... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bmw+motorrad+ista

1 - 3 of 3 Posts