BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I should get an open face helmet to use on my GS
I come from the sports bike background and have always had full face helmets.
Any thoughts please

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Me too modular, although that's really then 'full face' for me, I find I never ride with the lower part open. Safer this way.

·
Registered
751 Posts
half face helmet is not safe, ok with small scooters perhaps. i met a guy who broke his jaw in this way in accident. also full face helmets provides much more protection against dust and bugs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Having seen the mess that left him with a disfigured face ...(our local bike mechanic)
I have to choose a full-face.
But at least an open face saved his live.
Any helmet is better than none [which is an option in some parts of the world]

thankfully its generally a free world to choose what you like.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want protection go with the full face/modular helmet. I'm wearing the Scorpion EXO AT950 and love it. Check out the reviews and I'm not the only one. Excellent adventure helmet.

See below article on why I choose a full face/modular helmet...

"35% of all crashes showed major impact on the chin-bar area" -

https://bmwdean.com/swisher.htm

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yesterday …….. a ride out and we hit some rain.
Happy that I had a full face / modular BMW helmet (6)
I can image when you go off road you want extra protection for you face.
Normally you wear protection in your jacket / trousers / gloves so why not for your face (watch these branches and bees)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm using an LS2 FF370 modular. Reasonably priced, a good fit (for me) and being a glasses wearer, it's comfortable. I can easily flip it up at traffic lights,etc when my glasses start to steam up. It has a built-in (like most) drop down sun visor which is handy when in low sun moments,i.e travelling east early morning and travelling west late afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
i personally prefer non-modular; the simpler the better. I have a few helmets, like more expensive Shoei, Shark and LS2. Shark was giving me all kind of issues. Shoei is nice as it gives very wide vision, plus PHOTOCHROMIC visor (bought separately), but has no additional sun visor, and one has to buy an additional antifog pinlock, which is weird for such an expensive helmet.

I really like LS2 Breaker, super cheap, and surprisingly great quality; the downside is that the vision is rather narrow. By the way, my LS2 comes naturally with antifog layer which is very important. For instance with Shoei without antifog screen I could not use chin guard because in cold weather the steam was building up inside the helmet.

There is such a great choice of helmets in the market. Expensive is not always better. Some of the things to check before buying is that they have sun visor, and antifog protection.

·
Registered
150 Posts
half face helmet is not safe, ok with small scooters perhaps. i met a guy who broke his jaw in this way in accident. also full face helmets provides much more protection against dust and bugs.

The laws of physics don't change according to what you have just come off. Having said that I normally wear full face but open face according to circumstance (it's a mental risk assessment I suppose).

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
It's a risk/reward scenario, I wear an open face helmet because I mostly commute around 60km/h, I also find that I have better vision, less fogging and less of a claustrophobic feeling. I wear a Shoei J Cruise which has a movable full face shield. I would get myself a full face helmet if I did more highway riding, but at the moment I'd be lucky if I did 800km per year of highway riding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Horses for courses

Look its horse's for courses, i have a dual amologated modular shark evo-one-2 and a scorpion adx-1(which is the european version of the usa's 950) and i probably prefer the scorpion not quite as noisy as the shark but it is a little heavier. you just need to work out what you need. i must agree i don't ride slow enough to ride with shark full open so if i need to talk to someone i just pop it open then close it when i am riding so the scorpion works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Full face, either modular or non-modular (is that a good term?) has been my helmet choice since being among the first to wear the original Bell Star full face helmet at the Snetterton circuit in England waaaaay back in the late 1960s. It was heavy and had virtually no features but it did protect much better than some of the helmets that were routinely worn back in the day. Full coverage helmets have come a long way since then, offering much more protection at greatly increased comfort levels.

My face is a bit old and wrinkled these days but I still think it's worth protecting. To this day I sport a half inch horizontal scar to the left of my nose that resulted from having a three pound June Bug commit suicide on my cheek while I was wearing my last open face helmet.

Not long ago a very detailed study was published that described the percentage of impacts occurred at different segments of a full coverage helmet. Approximately 34 percent of impacts took place on the left and right sides of the chin bar. Given the choice, I would rather have the chin bar impact mother earth or some other solid object than my chin.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Full Face or Modular unless you are in a car, but even then they are using full face. The only problem is if you wear glasses, then it can be hard to find one. I would only use a open face riding the neighborhood streets (<35mph) or a dirt road maybe. I haven't worn a open face since my 70's model Honda XL185 street trail.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is your reasoning for buying an open face helmet? This bike may have a small power plant, but it is still capable of 90mph. Personally, I prefer the extra strength and protection offered by the full face design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts