BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the 'normal' temperature range for the 310 gs? also what is the 'warm-up' temperature? for how long do you guys wait until you ride?anyone?

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Same for the R, I think the optimal temperature is above 80C and below 100C.

I usually get the bike out from under the house and start the engine and let it idle while putting on my helmet and gloves and then ride off slowly and gently for the first ~ 3 minutes, helps that I initially ride through side streets. The engine temp is around 30-40C when I start riding off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok mate, thank you. what is the environment temperature over there in summer time? in Greece it can get as hot as 40 C (~104 F)under shade.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ok mate, thank you. what is the environment temperature over there in summer time? in Greece it can get as hot as 40 C (~104 F)under shade.
Brisbane is a pretty warm place - summer temperatures around 31 - 33°C, but can get up to 40 to 45 °C sometimes as far as I know.

With modern engines, the ECU has input from engine temperature and ambient air temperature etc to provide the correct fuel / air ratio, so the engine will run smoothly and accelerate smoothly from cold - unlike the way carburettors behaved in the good old days when we had to tickle, and juggle with manual chokes to start and run.

So, you can ride off almost immediately the engine is running if you want - BUT you have to remember that the engine is actually cold still, and to ride gently for several km so that it does get the chance to warm up to operating temperatures before you crank the throttle open and give it some herbs...

I move off probably 20 seconds from starting, and have a gentle downhill and flat for 3.5 km before the first hill....

·
Registered
49 Posts
As an added precaution, I am usually more concered about warming up the tires than the engine at the start of a ride. Engine should be fine after 30 seconds - a minute. Tires take a bit of rolling time to warm up... my $0.02...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeap that's true BillCT, warming up the tires is also important, but since i am still breaking in the motorcycle i am not riding aggressively anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You gents are all generally correct here but the most important point is to let the bike idle for a minute or so before you ride off and then ride gently until the oil warms up a bit. And how long that is is sort of dependent on how warm the engine is when you start it ( ambient temperature ). It is also important to remember that if the bike has been sitting idle for more than say a week, there is going to be less oil on the cylinder wall to keep things slick when you first start up. The main take away is to be gentle until the oil comes up to operating temp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, everything I write here is translated by google translator. I do not know English in my mouth. I also own the BMW G310R. I observe the temperature of the coolant. After the first start, outdoor temperature around 20C - 68F. By driving at a low load of 80Km / h, the temperature on the road reaches 60-65C, that is 140-150F up to 5Km. If I drive with a max load it is heated to 80C it is 176F. Then, with lower load, it cools down to 65-70C 150F. It sounds like a faulty thermostat. Your BMW g310R behaves the same way. The seller told me it was normal. Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, everything I write here is translated by google translator. I do not know English in my mouth. I also own the BMW G310R. I observe the temperature of the coolant. After the first start, outdoor temperature around 20C - 68F. By driving at a low load of 80Km / h, the temperature on the road reaches 60-65C, that is 140-150F up to 5Km. If I drive with a max load it is heated to 80C it is 176F. Then, with lower load, it cools down to 65-70C 150F. It sounds like a faulty thermostat. Your BMW g310R behaves the same way. The seller told me it was normal. Thank you for your answers. Adam

·
Registered
935 Posts
I always start gently, warming up the oil, tires and myself.
After not riding for a few days I always have to get (a little bit) used again to the bike.
I usually use my bicycle to drive around (work) and do not drive my G310R every day :-(
Therefore every ride is a new experience

Do you also feel that you ride differently when it is cold or warm ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Adam

I think seller is correct.I observed coolant temperature variations based on airspeed across radiator more varied than on a car. At a road construction stop the fan came at 208 F-about 100C.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Google is everyone’s friend...

Engine warm up on this “new” bike is no more than 30 seconds to a minute.

Oil specs cover cold and warm engine AND environmental conditions. Hence the 15W-50 rating. For example:

“OK . . .What does a 5W-30 do that an SAE 30 won't?
When you see a W on a viscosity rating it means that this oil viscosity has been tested at a Colder temperature. The numbers without the W are all tested at 210° F or 100° C which is considered an approximation of engine operating temperature. In other words, a SAE 30 motor oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-30 or 5W-30 at 210° (100° C). The difference is when the viscosity is tested at a much colder temperature. For example, a 5W-30 motor oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil would perform at the cold temperature specified, but still has the SAE 30 viscosity at 210° F (100° C) which is engine operating temperature. This allows the engine to get quick oil flow when it is started cold verses dry running until lubricant either warms up sufficiently or is finally forced through the engine oil system. The advantages of a low W viscosity number is obvious. The quicker the oil flows cold, the less dry running. Less dry running means much less engine wear.”

Do not worry about the engine after 30 seconds to a minute - at ANY speed or rpm. The 2018 technology of oil has you covered.

Worry about the other factors of starting a ride: your attention, your muscle memory of clutch, brake, throttle, road conditions, and “threats”, and your COLD tires...

Ride safe!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, you think it's normal. When I start the engine, the hot water goes right into the cooler. The temperature display shows only 50 C and I know the thermostat should open at 80C. It seems to me that the thermostat does not work. The motorcycle can not normally warm up, the ride and the temperature gauge shows constantly around 55-60C, more only when I get to the maximum. It's normal, you can also try it out. Thanks. Translated by Google. Adam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts