BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out on the GS doing it's thing

I'm convinced that out-of-the-box the G310 GS is configured for primarily road use, rubber pads over the enduro style footpegs, handle bars set to a back and lower position.

So started the day implementing some recommendations that have been made for configuring the GS a little better for off-road duties.
Using a 6mm hex bit to loosen the bar clamps, rotated the bars up and forward a few inches. Then using an 8mm ring spanner on the mirror mounts to straightened up the clutch, brake levers and mirrors to match the new angle of attack.

Removed the rubbers from the top of the foot pegs to reveal the cerated metal enduro type pegs beneath. This also adds a few mm to the peg/seat distance.

The result is the bike is even more spacious, with the higher set bars giving it a 'bigger bike' feel. Standing up on the pegs is now much more comfortable for off road use (eyes up, steer with feet).

That all done and a quick chain clean and lube, set off on a 250Km loop that covered city streets, dual carriage expressway, great sealed twisty roads and picturesque, less traveled gravel roads. I had a hoot, the G310 GS performed flawlessly, showing it's awesome versatility, revelling in the mix of road types and surfaces.

Check this link for the track captured on the GPS. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BVIz2VAVBbu9QHNEcf_RWvCw04DRWAT5&usp=sharing

Stopped along the way to grab a few pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very nice setup..

Can you provide more details on the panniers (side cases) and brackets you have purchased? Will you be buying a top case for the GS as well?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MotoGS. I’ve fitted a Shad SH39 in the past to the GS, it’s on another bike at the moment.

The side cases are Orbit 22 litre a piece by Hepco-Becker, C-Bow attached.
C-Bow holder BMW G 310 GS 2017 on

·
Registered
469 Posts
Eccles,
Gorgeous countryside and terrain.
Very much like the way you've setup the GS, and I agree the bike from the box is more Tarmac oriented than
off road.
Btw, for room and board I am willing to head your way in exchange for any maintenance or cleaning on your bikes.
😂

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tickster,

Thanks for the kind words, and certainly worthwhile to consider adding a trip down under to the bucket list. A country just made for the likes of the GS. :smile2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
310GS Down Under

Hi Tickster,

Thanks for the kind words, and certainly worthwhile to consider adding a trip down under to the bucket list. A country just made for the likes of the GS. :smile2:

We will have two BMW G310GS in the upcoming APC Rally early March, we sent the first Rally Raid Products Adventure Kits from the UK last week to Sydney, and they are being built up this Wednesday at Adv Moto in Dural.
Anyone wishing to see the bikes, ridden by Aussie lady Amy Harburg and RR UK rider Adam Mitchinson, can contact David Darcy of MAD TV fame in Sydney. After the rally Amy will be shipping her 310GS to Mongolia for the BMW GS Challenge, the riding it overland to the Rally Raid HQ in the UK........she's some girl !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
After the rally Amy will be shipping her 310GS to Mongolia for the BMW GS Challenge, the riding it overland to the Rally Raid HQ in the UK........she's some girl !!
Ooh! Ooh! I want to follow her on that ride. Is there a link I can bookmark or something?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great Autumn riding weather

In Sydney this weekend, had some great clear blue skies like Woodworks pic above albeit 28C.

The GS is loving the new pipe and took me on a 300km round trip through some mighty pretty terrain..... again :grin2:

Reactions: WoodWorks

·
Registered
163 Posts
In Sydney this weekend, had some great clear blue skies like Woodworks pic above albeit 28C.

The GS is loving the new pipe and took me on a 300km round trip through some mighty pretty terrain..... again :grin2:

is that a slip on can or a complete system?did you see any difference in torque/handling (besides sound !)that justifies it's money? it sure is good looking!

·
Registered
99 Posts
is that a slip on can or a complete system?did you see any difference in torque/handling (besides sound !)that justifies it's money? it sure is good looking!
Unless you want to disc cut your OEM system, because it's a welded one-piece header and silencer, then a slip-on is a no-no

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did you see any difference in torque/handling (besides sound !)that justifies it's money?
Yes, running a system without the cat, the engine breathes much easier. There is notable increase in torque lower in the rev range, an ideal improvement for the GS in particular. The bike is also happier to run at higher speeds.

Any of the branded aftermarket exhaust options (without the Euro 4 cat), to my mind mind would be worth the money. The noise is just a bonus!

Reactions: Defender

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - can you please tell me what the make of that tall windscreen you have on the GS? Does it hold up alright under speed? The plastic on the front of the bike seems like it would bend under speed.

Thanks
Pat

1 - 20 of 31 Posts