BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2021 G310GS, and within a day's drive of me, there are a handful of used ones for sale. All but one have extremely low miles - less than 2,000, a couple less than 1,000! This seems to be a bit of a red flag to me that people aren't loving their new bike. I've owned 8 bikes in the last 15 years, from 500cc to 1400cc and enjoyed them all. Are you enjoying the use of your GS? Would you say it checks the boxes for you? I understand the performance that can be expected from this power unit, and I feel I'm ok with it. Do you feel it has a shortcoming in either street, or off-road use? Thanks for responding to my first post. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2021 G310GS, and within a day's drive of me, there are a handful of used ones for sale. All but one have extremely low miles - less than 2,000, a couple less than 1,000! This seems to be a bit of a red flag to me that people aren't loving their new bike. I've owned 8 bikes in the last 15 years, from 500cc to 1400cc and enjoyed them all. Are you enjoying the use of your GS? Would you say it checks the boxes for you? I understand the performance that can be expected from this power unit, and I feel I'm ok with it. Do you feel it has a shortcoming in either street, or off-road use? Thanks for responding to my first post. I appreciate it.
I bought a 2019 From a bmw dealer with 750 miles on it. It had quite a bit of money thrown at it. I love it !. I did get the lower seat on e-bay for 250. I have continued to invest in the bike. I will load pic's soon.I am looking at a Rekluse Radius x clutch. Costly but it will fix one of the two things I don't care for. Happy trails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very hard to say. I am overall pleased with mine. But it is my first and I researched a lot before deciding what I wanted. Covid certainly brought in impulse buyers who may have had a change of heart. Or people expected more and just purchased due to pretty low cost but found out is wasn’t what they expected. BMW offered a bit of $500-1000 rebates so maybe some bought then and traded in for some cash gain and got into a different bike. I’ve read a lot about people buying them for learning and possibly got out of them quickly. There are certainly unhappy riders (speaking to some shortcomings you asked about off road) and some documented problems people have had but overall I don’t think lots of used ones in your area should raise red flags. It checks all my boxes and I am enjoying it. 2019 GS WITH ABS switch 😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
My '21 GS has been great. What a very balanced bike. I have no problem cruising on the freeways hovering around 75-80, which is a lot. But where it shines is the city streets. Very easy to throw around and with +30mm risers just made it perfect for my 5'9" build.

I wouldn't worry about the ton of baby GS inventory out there, I see them too. I chalk those up to older gents returning to the sport, they ride it a couple times and realize they waited too long to come back and put it up or sale. I imagine the badge also attracts its share of first time riders that buy it and ultimately get intimidated by it's size and weight for a 300.

Bottom line, solid buy. I'll let others answer the question on whether the '21 upgrades are worth the premium. I thought it was.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine is 2019, almost 2 years and 24k kms, daily commuter to work and weekender off-road machine with a little bit of abuse... 0 problems since new!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '21 GS has been great. What a very balanced bike. I have no problem cruising on the freeways hovering around 75-80, which is a lot. But where it shines is the city streets. Very easy to throw around and with +30mm risers just made it perfect for my 5'9" build.

I wouldn't worry about the ton of baby GS inventory out there, I see them too. I chalk those up to older gents returning to the sport, they ride it a couple times and realize they waited too long to come back and put it up or sale. I imagine the badge also attracts its share of first time riders that buy it and ultimately get intimidated by it's size and weight for a 300.

Bottom line, solid buy. I'll let others answer the question on whether the '21 upgrades are worth the premium. I thought it was.

I appreciate your comment on the freeway speeds, as that is one of my big concerns. Well, I jumped in tonight. Put a deposit on a '21 Rallye colors. I'll pick it up by Saturday. Man, your bike looks sharp!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great! Also makes a great Costco hauler for lighter days, although admittedly the speeds I quoted were always in the "collapsed" position for the vario top box.

Extended

Collapsed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2019 G310GS in Feb 2020.
Background:
I'm 5'9'', 150lbs. I was exclusively a biker for 16 years. My principal bikes were a Suzuki X7 ( GT250EN ) and Kawasaki GPZ600R ( the first delivery after launch ). But I finally got tired of getting wet and cold ( in UK ), and realised that speed cameras meant my biking career was coming to an end anyway ( sooner or later )... You get the picture !
I finally decided to come back to the fold after some 28 years, but knew I needed something that would not encourage my twist-happy right wrist too much. That lead me to the so-called 'adventure' bikes, with a bias towards the 'Super motard' format, since my off-road time will be minimal at most.
Research:
I did a lot of research, looking at BHP, torque, weight, dimensions, and reported performance ( sadly lacking, given the modern proliferation of 'armchair' reviews ), then MPG, styling and price. I at least sat on every contender in the 'mid-range' of 250-500cc.
Deal
Due to 2019 stock held over due to the recalls overlapping 2020 deliveries at the dealer, I got a deal I could not refuse, and took the plunge.
Critical comments:
Running-in helped me acclimatise, but after being used to low CoG crutch-rockets, it really took me quite some time to get used to the 'sitting on top of a wall' feeling. I was very aware of the high CoG, which would still catch me off guard from time to time.
The leg-swing over the seat is a stretch ( 32" inside leg ), but you get used to it.
The vibration tingles annoyingly around 8,000 RPM, but it's single- What do you expect ?
Suspension on-road is not bad, given the off-road pretensions. Trail bikes I'd ridden in the past felt like pogo-sticks.
Both the gear change ( adjustable ) and brake ( not ) pedals are too low. First mod. is to remove the anti-vibe rubber blocks in the foot pegs. It helps, but doesn't solve the problem.
I'm not sure if the seat improves with use, or your rear-end learns to accommodate it. I've done a 3 hour trip and survived.
The tires/tyres are not great for the road, white-lining and rain-grooving disconcertingly.
I found that I needed to spend way more on after-market do-dads than I expected- LED headlight, center stand, Louder horn as a minimum; then radiator grill, crash bars, metal belly pan, luggage mounts and bags/cases, Bark Busters, etc, etc. We all know that the list is endless.
Praise:
It's got enough oomph to get you moving and the brakes are good enough that you can deal with most of the antics of the tin-boxes around you. Top speed is not stellar, but better that you might think ( 85 on the speedo is easy ); and more importantly, it doesn't take forever to get you there. Add to that the miserly fuel consumption.
In short, I do not regret buying this perky little brat one iota. It outperformed pretty much all my expectations, and I look forward to riding it every morning. It's FUN !
I hope that this helps you make your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I bought a 2019 G310GS in Feb 2020.
Background:
I was exclusively a biker for 16 years, but finally got tired of getting wet and cold ( in UK ), and realised that speed cameras meant my biking career was coming to an end anyway ( sooner or later )... You get the picture !
My principal bikes were a Suzuki X7 ( GT250EN ) and Kawasaki GPZ600R ( the first delivery after launch ).
I finally decided to come back to the fold after some 28 years, but knew I needed something that would not encourage my twist-happy right wrist too much. That lead me to the so-called 'adventure' bikes, with a bias towards the 'Supermotard' format, since my off-road time will be minimal at most.
Research:
I did a lot of research, looking at BHP, torque, weight, dimensions, and reported performance ( sadly lacking, given the modern proliferation of 'armchair' reviews ), then MPG, styling and price. I at least sat on every contender in the 'mid-range' of 250-500cc.
Deal
Due to 2019 stock held over due to the recalls overlapping 2020 deliveries at the dealer, I got a deal I could not refuse, and took the plunge.
Critical comments:
Running-in helped me acclimatise, but after being used to low CoG crutch-rockets, it really took me quite some time to get used to the 'sitting on top of a wall' feeling. I was very aware of the high CoG, which would still catch me off guard from time to time.
The leg-swing over the seat is a stretch ( 32" inside leg ), but you get used to it.
The vibration tingles annoyingly around 8,000 RPM, but it's single- What do you expect ?
Suspension on-road is not bad, given the off-road pretensions. Trail bikes I'd ridden in the past felt like pogo-sticks.
I not sure if the seat improves with use, or your rear-end learns to accomodate it. I've done a 3 hour trip and survived.
The tires/tyres are not great for the road, white-lining and rain-grooving disconcertingly.
I found that I needed to spend way more on after-market do-dads than I expected- LED headlight, center stand, Louder horn as a minimum; then radiator grill, crash bars, metal belly pan, luggage mounts and bags/cases, Bark Busters, etc, etc. We all know that the list is endless.
Praise:
It's got enough oomph to get you moving and the brakes are good enough that you can deal with most of the antics of the tin-boxes around you. Top speed is not stellar, but better that you might think ( 85 on the speedo is easy ); and more importantly, it doesn't take forever to get you there.
In short, I do not regret buying this perky little brat one iota. It outperformed pretty much all my expectations, and I look forward to riding it every morning. It's FUN !
I hope that this helps you make your decision.
Thank you for your comments. Very helpful, and reminds me of when I bought my first dual-sport bike after having mostly sport, and sport touring bikes in the 1050-1400cc range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find it interesting that the "downgrade" in displacement seems to be common as we get more miles on the ticker. I'm coming from a couple 900RR's myself but the GS gives me just as much if not more smiles on my face. Riding in an upright position is just GOLD.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad it helps ! (y)
Please post how you get on.
PS- I was also amazed how many of these were available second-hand with really low mileage.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
153 Posts
I own the G310GS for three years, first bought an G310R.
Highway use is quite comfortable, even with a 60 kilogram used backseat.

I arrive at the same time on destination as on my S1000RR and HP2 Sport.
But for a much lower price and very little fuel. 😁

IMG20210105113210.jpg

It is my dailey driver in all kinds of weather and I am still very happy with this awesome BMW bike.

I have a higher seat, Hyperpro suspension, higher steer and some other after market stuff. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my GS... Light, nimble. Fun in twisties. Does ok on the occasional gravel road I take it on, on stock tires. Sounds pretty good too with stock pipe. Overall I'm very pleased with it.
Here are some personal cons... not a fan of the gear shifter. Feels flimsy and un-refined. Finds this weird phantom gear between 5 and 6 way too much for my liking. Difficult to go into 1st gear from N while standing in traffic - happens maybe 2 out of 10 times while at a light. I know that's an issue on some other bikes (my friend's Royal Enfield Hym. for example). And I cannot over emphasize the pure hatred I have for the side stand. You'll definitely need a windshield. Mirrors are adequate. No matter what anyone says it's buzzy at higher speeds - some people just tolerate it more than others - though I just replaced the hand grips to new ones and it seems to have actually helped!

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not... these are all minor offenses. For a bike I got brand new and for $1000 cheaper than actual price... I'm super happy with it. It's my long trip bike. I do not regret the purchase one bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I find it interesting that the "downgrade" in displacement seems to be common as we get more miles on the ticker. I'm coming from a couple 900RR's myself but the GS gives me just as much if not more smiles on my face. Riding in an upright position is just GOLD.
Is because is easyer to push a small bike to its limits with out die in the middle, instead to have a big bike and be afraid of die due can't control its power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 2019 and did quite a bit of research before buying. I come from a dirt bike back ground and hadn't ridden in probably 30 years. I never owned a street bike. So I decided on the G310GS as my first because I felt I wouldn't be getting more bike than I could handle. I wanted to do it right so I would enjoy it.
Fast forward - the brake recall was not a big deal to me, there was an issue, BMW rectified it and my dealership did the work. What put me off was the fact that I had to wait almost a month for the parts to come in. Everything was fine after that, and I truly enjoyed riding it. As I got more comfortable I attempted some highway driving, first off the stock windshield is NOT a windshield. The amount of windblast and noise from the single when doing highway speeds does not make for a relaxing or enjoyable experience. I upgraded to a much larger touring windscreen, and that made a huge difference.
Covid hit and any plans I had on doing some mini adventures went out the door. Trips/plans were cancelled, aftermarket parts were hard to come buy.
This summer was supposed to be the summer I finally got to truly enjoy my little 310. Ordered up an SW-Motech bash plate, installed it only to find that I had a coolant leak, played a few weeks of telephone tag with my dealer, they finally acknowledged that it is a known issue with this model. The bike goes in on Tuesday to be inspected, and then if it is the water pump seal I'm looking at maybe another month before the part comes in. So I have again cancelled my trip I had planned. My biggest beef is when something is or does go wrong, the wait for parts is ridiculous. I have crash bars that I ordered that will be here on Tuesday and I will now have to wait to put those on until the bike gets fixed. I have continuously bought some minor aftermarket upgrades, because at the end of the day, I really like this bike. But I am just shy of 4600km and am really starting to wonder if the Honda CB500X would have been the better choice. Parts readily available, dealerships just about everywhere you go.
Also the vibrations can be a bit much after a while.
I'm slowly losing confidence about taking it anywhere far from home or remote locations that don't have bmw dealerships or places that are not likely to carry any part I may need.

Overall, I think its a great bike. As still a relative beginner, I lack the confidence to want to risk going somewhere remote with it because for some reason BMW hasn't thought it to be a good idea to have parts readily available in the markets they are selling these bikes. My dealership is hard to get a hold of. The bike however is a blast to ride, and others have mentioned you can throw it around quite easily as it is very light and agile. But on the highway it can get thrown around a lot whether you want it to or not. I want to have some adventures with this bike to give it a fair chance, but it seems that I'm gonna really have to work to make it happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your mostly a road rider, save your money and hold off on the off-road bling.
I would go for the Barrkbusters because plastic BMW ones broke when I, walking speed, tipped over. Btw it is super easy to lift up, using the bike bike technique.
For the off-roading I do, the plastic bash plate is suffice. Lots of YouTubers still have theirs on as they tear around off-road.
The flyshield is slightly better than a naked bike. Yes it will do 80 mph but in wind and it’s light weight makes me uneasy. At 70 it gives you a little reserve.
I also have a 2016 r1200gs. In high winds it even gets a bit scary.
I do enjoy my 2021 baby G. Like many others i did a lot of research on the G310gs and others in the same class.
So there wasn’t really any real surprises. Yes the side stand does sucks. There were none available in San Diego, (new or used). There was one dealer about 250 miles away with a 2020.
I got mine before it hit the sales floor. Since May, when i got mine, the dealer has received one other that sold within two days. So no discounts on the G310gs that went up in price from 2020‘s.
Anyways enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts