BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice rider, and only just beginning my motorcycling journey. Today, I went out on a much longer ride, probably 50 to 60 miles total. I've noticed my left wrist is hurting - opening and closing my fingers is fine (ie clutch lever), but when I hold my arm out and attempt to rotate my hand left and right, I can feel some pain in the area on the left side of my wrist. It doesn't hurt unless I actually move - even typing is okay, just the rotating is not.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Is it just soreness from seldom used muscles getting work, or injury? Maybe just noobish improper riding technique or improperly adjusted controls? Curious to hear thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think you have identified many of the possible reasons, which it could be any of.
One you did not mention that I have found many new riders tend to do is,
gripping the bars too tight.
Try relaxing your grip, adjusting the bars forward or back, and see how that works.
Each body is a different shape, but the bikes are all the same from the factory.
I installed 30mm bar risers that were $40 and made a big difference for comfort.
As a new rider, your dealer should have helped you with the set up when you
bought it, but many don't and just take the money and hand you the key.
Good luck

Reactions: Makedon and G0MYW

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
If you have not had a problem with your wrist before, I would doubt that this is a true injury, it sounds more like getting used to riding. Tickster gives good advice here, try different things and see how things go. On the other hand, don't wait too long before getting a doctor's opinion, either if it doesn't go away or gets worse.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
8 Posts
I felt the same pain in my first weeks of riding (was also a beginner). Later on I noticed that while stopping as I put my left foot onto the ground the bike inclined to left excessively and I had to apply to much force and strain the lateral muscles of my left forearm to prevent the bike hitting the ground. Several weeks later balance of the bike started to get better while stopping. I don’t feel this pain anymore. That may be the reason for you too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I threw some ice on it, drank extra water and took some Advil. It's mostly just a bit sore and tight, kind of like when you start working out again after being out of the gym for a while. Yesterday I did do about half an hour of low speed U-turn practice (the one maneuver in my MSF course that I had significant trouble with). Prolonged clutch manipulation and a new rider tensing every muscle to hold things in position probably did it.

I'm pretty sure it's not injury now, just my technique, so next time I go, I'll be more cognizant and focus on keeping a light grip and using my core to hold myself up, rather than putting weight on the wrists. I'm not a doctor in sports medicine, but I have that feeling wrists weren't designed to take a whole lot of weight for prolonged periods.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a novice rider, and only just beginning my motorcycling journey. Today, I went out on a much longer ride, probably 50 to 60 miles total. I've noticed my left wrist is hurting - opening and closing my fingers is fine (ie clutch lever), but when I hold my arm out and attempt to rotate my hand left and right, I can feel some pain in the area on the left side of my wrist. It doesn't hurt unless I actually move - even typing is okay, just the rotating is not.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Is it just soreness from seldom used muscles getting work, or injury? Maybe just noobish improper riding technique or improperly adjusted controls? Curious to hear thoughts. Thanks.

I’m having the same problem with my BMW G 310 GS. Pain in my left wrist, weather it’s a small ride or long.
Did you find the reason/solution?
(I have 3 other motorcycles and never experienced the same problem with them)

·
Registered
33 Posts
A helpful image is to imagine holding onto your handlebars as similar to holding a small bird in your hand. It is delicate and you don't want to crush it, but you also don't want it to fly away.

Is it possible that you are taking the gs on gravel roads and have altered your typical grip?

Rest, ice, NSAIDs, and a compressive wrap/splint for a day or two are usually all that is required for a slight sprain or strain. The key is that if it still hurts when you go to perform that motion again, take another day off. Don't rush healing.

Good luck! I've been commuting on gravel roads lately and it is really throwing me off! Counter steering, target fixation, getting used to the feel of the wheels wandering... it is so different from road riding, but fun in a different way!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the same issue, and i am not a novice. i have many bikes. yes, gripping the handlebar too tight can be a culprit. one thing that can help is to learn clutch-less up-shifting. ok the clutch in 310 is very soft but still this can help. clutchless upshifting is really cool. the way you do it is preloading the gear shifter, and then releasing the throttle just a bit causing engine of unload and you in the higher gear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Riding 3-400 miles of fairly straight roads on the 310 has never bothered me, even with a wrist rebuilt after a ladder fall, but one day fifty miles of east TN mountain roads left it a little sore. I was on the airhead at the time. For years I had a shoulder pain on the first day of a long trip. I believe I was tensing up so concentrated on relaxing. It seemed to help most trips. I don't do long trips anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two observations. Maybe helpful, maybe not.

First, I was taught in the "Total Control Safety Class" to "cover" the clutch lever..not riding the clutch..just having my hand open..thumb behind handle bar, fingers above lever. The reasoning was to be ready to use clutch friction zone at all times for best control. Same teaching emphasized countersteering (push left lean left turn left) so I very seldom pull on the handle. This way your wrist is not being exercised so much when shifting.

Second, the little "pinky" finger movement uses a muscle that puts more twisting torque on the wrist. I have arthritis and I only use three of the four fingers to squeeze the lever..no stress on the little finger and very little stress on wrist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts