BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to flush the front brake on a new to me 2018 BMW G310R. Upon opening the reservoir, I discovered a white plastic button/valve. I've never seen something like this before, I'd assume it regulates the brake fluid flow towards the cylinder. As you can see, it is surrounded by a spring-style ring and it came out of the housing at the bottom of the reservoir. I wonder if a) anyone knows its purpose/has seen it before b) can tell me which side is up/down ( it's asymmetrical ) and c) if there is any trick or tools required for inserting it back into the housing.

Thank you so much,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Just shooting from the hip here, seems to be a restrictor, to prevent sudden movement of fluid between master cylinder and reservoir (e.g. prevent fluid from leaving the master cylinder when going over bumps, experiencing negative g's etc..)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to flush the front brake on a new to me 2018 BMW G310R. Upon opening the reservoir, I discovered a white plastic button/valve. I've never seen something like this before, I'd assume it regulates the brake fluid flow towards the cylinder. As you can see, it is surrounded by a spring-style ring and it came out of the housing at the bottom of the reservoir. I wonder if a) anyone knows its purpose/has seen it before b) can tell me which side is up/down ( it's asymmetrical ) and c) if there is any trick or tools required for inserting it back into the housing.

Thank you so much,
Chris

Just shooting from the hip here, seems to be a restrictor, to prevent sudden movement of fluid between master cylinder and reservoir (e.g. prevent fluid from leaving the master cylinder when going over bumps, experiencing negative g's etc..)
Did you find out what is was for? no sign of it on the parts list

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
a) No clue of its purpose... did you want to flush the system to correct a flaw in braking? maybe this part had something to do with your initial concern ?
b) Out of curiosity and potentially to help you out I just removed the cover from mine. (Good thing it's still in place in my case) Hopefully the picture help you to figure the proper side of installation.
c) I would guess it is simply press-fitted there. Not sure if pressing with fingers will be enough, if not, maybe use some kind of flat plastic/rubber spacer on which you could gently knock with a hammer to press it down.
d) That being said, it's not normal for this part to be floating around and best thing might be to involve dealer to get this covered under warranty instead of messing around?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts