BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am new the G310GS I am not new to BMW, I bought my fist around 1979. prior to the G310GS I had a S1000R and before that another S1000R and before that S1000RR the list goes on. Now what is all this "Baby GS" about? It's a full size bike as is the G310R (not sure if that is a "Baby R") Please let's refer to G310GS as a G-GS or G/GS or similar but drop the "Baby" I don't want to rides around on a bike known as a "Baby anything" I find it actually embarrassing Rant over what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have no problem with calling it the "Baby GeSus" . All pun intended, no offense to any religious persons out there, I have owned many Harley's for years and the Sportster was always referred to as a Piglet, while full sized ( large displacement ) Harley's where called Hogs. My "Baby GeSus" takes a Helll-of-a beating from me every day and never complains and goes places its big brothers sometimes can't. With over 16k miles on mine and across the entire USA and back logging about 2500 to 3000 miles of off road dirt and trails I think it is an appropriate name. If I set her up next to an F850 GS or a 1000 GS she looks small by comparison. It is slender and light, sleek and agile, and NOT top heavy or unmanageable when the going gets tough. She is my baby.

You asked for comments you got mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, it isn't really a full size bike, if you compare wheelbases with larger displacement bikes, including the other BMW's. But I see your point.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
You got me thinking about coming up with a nickname for my 310R. I think 'little R' would be ok. I would not call it 'baby R', that's true.
@ Zente - are 1200 HD Sportsters also called Piglets? Same displacement as other, larger models?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cees

Yes all Sportster have been called piglets as far back as I can remember and I have been riding Harley's since 1975. Some of the younger bikers claim to have never heard them called that, but ask any older ( 50 plus ) biker and they should confirm the same. I got harassed for my Sportster based chopper ( 1971 iron head 900 cc ) for years even thou I smoked a lot of big blocks ( pans, evos etc ) with it. Ever seen a piglet run... they are much faster than hogs, just try and catch one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 'R' series BMW is quite specific, being the boxer twin.
Our little singles are definitely not 'Rs', little or otherwise.
And the mighty 'K' is already taken

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cees

Yes all Sportster have been called piglets as far back as I can remember and I have been riding Harley's since 1975. Some of the younger bikers claim to have never heard them called that, but ask any older ( 50 plus ) biker and they should confirm the same. I got harassed for my Sportster based chopper ( 1971 iron head 900 cc ) for years even thou I smoked a lot of big blocks ( pans, evos etc ) with it. Ever seen a piglet run... they are much faster than hogs, just try and catch one.
I’m over 50 and have been riding since high school (Harley’s and other makes and my first Harley was a sportster) and I’ve never heard the term “piglet” in reference to a sportster. It was either a big twin or a sportster....but in full disclosure I do not consider myself a “biker” in the sense that my life did not revolve around them.
For some reason the sportster was considered a beginner bike or for a woman only and I couldnt disagree more...one of the best Harley’s made imo and def not for the beginner imo.
Sorry for the hijack so to keep on topic I’m also opposed to referring to the 310’s as “baby” or
“little”

Reactions: lost in space

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like to call mine Baby GS, because when people finally see it, they're invariably saying "what a beautiful baby!" :-D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 'R' series BMW is quite specific, being the boxer twin.
Our little singles are definitely not 'Rs', little or otherwise.
And the mighty 'K' is already taken
These are G's

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cees

I bought my first harley back in 1993 (90th anniversary model, hated it from day two.... sold after 10 months, but that's another story) I have never heard of piglet for the sporter I know them as "Sportsters" or perhaps "entry level"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it isn't really a full size bike, if you compare wheelbases with larger displacement bikes, including the other BMW's. But I see your point.
you are comparing with larger displacement bikes....of course it will be smaller, but just taking the seat height into account its no monkey bike..original or new!!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Perhaps the 'Piglet' name is dominant only in certain regions of the US. I like how we can handle two different sub-topics in this thread.
BeeGee as in Big G?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts