BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed or had a full system exhaust put on their Bmw g310r? I was told I might need a power commander in order to put in a yoshimura full system exhaust. The problem is power commanders cost somewhere between $300-500
Is it nessesary to get a power commander for this bike?

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
139 Posts
I have been testing with another exhaust system on the G310GS.
And there was no need to change anything on the fuel system.
It was a bit low, but within distance of perfection.

The tuner did not believe that extra power would come when adding more fuel.
This is not always the case he told me.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
139 Posts
World beater

Curious, did you do a before?

Bob
No, I was just curious if this was technically ok.
It was a coincidence that I was in the neighborhood of the tuner for other business.

In 2009 I did both.
With an OEM air filter that was very dirty and with a new K&N filter.
The difference was only +0.5 pk.

The tuner said that this was just a measuring fault.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow ! I'm really envious of Worldbeater... I'd love to be able to do a 'before and after' test.
I replaced my GS OEM system with a Dominator HP3 ( supposedly only for the R, but it fit DESPITE the supplier's advice... Weird ! ). I ran it with no other change ( as recommended by the supplier for the R ) with no problems. I certainly didn't notice any substantial increase in performance, but I accept that it's really impossible to tell just by 'feel'; unless it's an 'earth shattering' difference. If anything, I'd say that there was LESS mid-range power, based on the gear needed to get up an incline that I traverse regularly. Not more, as others claimed- Hence my jealously regarding Worldbeater's access to testing equipment.
What I did notice was how LOUD the system was, even with the so-called 'medium decibel killer' installed ( as supplied, and permanently attached ). As another reviewer commented, there is no real obstruction in the muffler- you can see straight through from one end to the other, and that's just how it sounds- Almost like an open pipe. There is a tapering internal pipe running the length of the muffler from the 1 3/4" diameter engine end to the 1" exit. This internal pipe is perforated, with some sort of packing between it and the shell wall of the muffler. Clearly, this method is 'less than perfect' for effective sound absorption !
So, I am in the process of making up a subsidiary baffle, to bring the noise down to a more acceptable level. Again, I'd love to be able to test the end result !...

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
139 Posts
Wow ! I'm really envious of Worldbeater... I'd love to be able to do a 'before and after' test.
I replaced my GS OEM system with a Dominator HP3 ( supposedly only for the R, but it fit DESPITE the supplier's advice... Weird ! ). I ran it with no other change ( as recommended by the supplier for the R ) with no problems. I certainly didn't notice any substantial increase in performance, but I accept that it's really impossible to tell just by 'feel'; unless it's an 'earth shattering' difference. If anything, I'd say that there was LESS mid-range power, based on the gear needed to get up an incline that I traverse regularly. Not more, as others claimed- Hence my jealously regarding Worldbeater's access to testing equipment.
What I did notice was how LOUD the system was, even with the so-called 'medium decibel killer' installed ( as supplied, and permanently attached ). As another reviewer commented, there is no real obstruction in the muffler- you can see straight through from one end to the other, and that's just how it sounds- Almost like an open pipe. There is a tapering internal pipe running the length of the muffler from the 1 3/4" diameter engine end to the 1" exit. This internal pipe is perforated, with some sort of packing between it and the shell wall of the muffler. Clearly, this method is 'less than perfect' for effective sound absorption !
So, I am in the process of making up a subsidiary baffle, to bring the noise down to a more acceptable level. Again, I'd love to be able to test the end result !...
I have two Dominator exhausts, and they are both well above the standard for acceptable sound.

I was particularly interested in the sound between these two mufflers.
But the phone with sound meter is overloaded as soon as I start the engine.

And to buy a decibel meter only for this experiment.. that I will never use again.. hmm..

The round one seems to have lower sound levels as I do not annoy other people on the highway.

The Dominator exhaust system that I have is specially made for the GS.
The last bend is a bit larger because the GS has a longer suspension travel.
Dominator Exhaust systems did not want to sell the R system to me when the GS system was not ready for sale.
They did a good job..

But that is why I bought a Chinese exhaust for the R model.
And after installing at the local dealer it almost hit the swingarm.

After a few hundreds of kilometers it was de-installed at the dealer because they thought the tough starting at low temperatures was because of the exhaust.. well it was not. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all the info., Worldbeater.
FYI, the HP3 ( that I have ) is the high level version of the oval muffler, so clearance has nothing to do with the swinging arm. There' a bit of jiggling to get the whole system around the shock, frame rails, etc. I have the rear shock on the middle setting, and no problems...
I had the same experience re. cold starting- Nothing to do with the exhaust, as it's the same with the OEM system !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts