BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I asked my dealer when I bought the bike. He said regular was fine- so far I have not had any issues using regular- 2,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The US manual for the G310GS says to use “Normal unleaded regular,” or 87 AKI. It also (confusingly IMO for us here in the US) lists the European numbers for their regular gas, 91 ROZ/RON. See the attached page from the manual below.

And according to the FTC:

In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.

Putting premium gas in this bike is just throwing away your money.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
US octane ratings are in RON, so when BMW says to use at least 91 RON gas, it's premium here. In Germany, that is regular. That explains why BMW calls it regular. They should just say to use at least 91 RON.

In the US, Shell V-Power super is only 92 RON. In Germany, it's 100 RON, and their normal premium is 95 RON.

Premium gas doesn't just have a higher octane rating. It also has more/better detergents and lubricants.

·
Registered
222 Posts
US octane ratings are in RON, so when BMW says to use at least 91 RON gas, it's premium here. In Germany, that is regular. That explains why BMW calls it regular. They should just say to use at least 91 RON.
In the US, Shell V-Power super is only 92 RON. In Germany, it's 100 RON, and their normal premium is 95 RON.
Premium gas doesn't just have a higher octane rating. It also has more/better detergents and lubricants.
Huhm actually US octane ratings are NOT in RON, they are in AKI (Anti-Knock Index), which is same as the average of RON & MON (R+M/2). If you look at the pump you should see the mention that confirms it uses AKI or R+M/2.

So 91 RON (used in most areas in the world) is equal to 87 AKI (used in the USA/Canada and a few more countries).

Now the real confusing thing about this is the fact that our manuals don't necessarily state the same thing as the BMW websites. If I read my owner's book, it says 91 RON ("Regular", 87 AKI at my local pump). If I go to BMW Canada's website, it says to use 95 RON ("Premium", 91 AKI at my local pump).

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you look at the bottom of most major motorcycle magazine reviews where the specs are, you will notice that they give mileage figures for Regular / Plus / Premium fuels. Usually the higher the octane, the higher the mileage. You could calculate the best cost per mile by comparing your local fuel costs.

Unfortunately, they don't do dyno testing on the different fuels to see what performance gain there is, if any. Would be a good article though.

I think the higher octane does give a little more response on a motorcycle vs a standard car due to engine design. I have a Ford Transit Connect with the 1.6L EcoBoost (Turbo) that can take Regular fuel, however, the fine print in the specs are based on the Premium fuel which I think all turbo engines prefer. I do notice a better performance when turbo engages when running Premium.

If I had a Harley or some other cruiser, I would just use Reg or Plus, but with a single cylinder or sportbike, I would only run Premium fuel. It is not like you are consuming a ton of fuel anyways so the $0.30/gal is worth it even if it is only a small gain. If you modify the bike with performance exhaust, PC5, and or airbox mod I would definitely use premium.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Spot on.

Can confirm that in Greece, and most of Europe to be exact, the normal gas is 95 RON and premium "Super Unleaded" is 100 RON.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also 30/40 cents more for premium on a 2 gallon tank is only 60/80 cents per tank, I wouldn't consider that waste of money. My truck makes 14.5 MPG and has 20 gallon tank so in that case I would be wasting. I run premium on the bike and the cheapest possible on my indestructible Toyota.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got my 310 a year ago and ran regular for awhile and then when it got below 50 degrees or so it didn't want to start very well so I put premium in it and never had a problem the rest of the Winter starting it when the temp was in the 30s. Spring came and a couple times I tried regular and didn't want to start so used premium until it really warmed up and have been all Summer but when it gets cold I will go back to premium.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use 98RON (ultra premium here in Oz). More for its cleaning ability than octane rating. We have 98, 95 (premium) and 91 (regular).
Interesting that the manual says you can use 91 or E10. Pretty sure the dealer told me 95 or above at delivery. BMW motorrad Australia's website also lists 95 in the specs.

Anyone using E10?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a fan of the hygroscopic properties of ethanol.

I run Shell V-Power (zero ethanol) in the G310GS, snowblower, lawnmower etc. Essentially any motor that spends a significant time in storage. (I also use stabilizer).

Although my car doesn't fall into the same category, I use Shell V-Power in it too as it requires premium grade fuel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shell V-Power everytime

I fuel up with Shell V-Power for my 310R. It starts better, runs better and mpg seems better too! :smile2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The salesperson at my dealer told me to use premium. He also told me the 'snowflake' on the dash was an engine temp indicator. Amazing what one can learn when one gets home and reads the effing manual.

My Ford gains a slight highway mileage benefit from premium gas, but the math doesn't work out to make sense to buy a tankful. Just like my Tiger--a much higher performing machine--my 310 is getting regular. Which is really probably all the 310 wants...

...because 91 RON is just regular in India, home of the Apache 310, our machines' sibling. Anyway a GS ought to run on gas found just about anywhere.

I'm just waiting for the oil arguments... :grin2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not absolutely sure, but I think both subjects were already discussed over the last year....

For my part, Regular gas and whatever the dealer puts in at the warranty mandated services.

And a tank of ethanol free gas before storing for the winter (mandatory up here in the great white north)

Once warranty is over, probably Shell Rotella T5 10W30 or some other semi or complete Synthetic thats has the certification BMW requires.

As for oil or gas 'discussions', I tune out and yawn!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately, for US riders, it is hard to find stations that sell pure gasoline. Shell Ultra 93 is ethanol free in Canada but not in the US. That is not a good thing for those of us with motorcycles that are inactive during the cold winter months. For those months, we have to depend on a stabilizer that is designed for ethanol fuel blends.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As for oil in the crankcase, I would not use Rotella T5 as it is not designed for bikes with catalytic converters. It must be MA2 rated which means Rotella T6 5W40 full syn or Rotella T4 non synthetic 15W40.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts