BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today, I replaced the stock clutch lever with an adjustable unit from Puig, the Clutch Lever 2.0. I have an equivalent brake lever on the way too. To replace the levers, you must buy two parts: the lever mount, and the lever itself.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-clutch-lever-20

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-clutch-lever-mount?rrec=true

The mount is model specific, and Puig does make it for the G310R, which should fit the GS, and apparently also fits the G650GS.

I bought both brake and clutch levers and mounts from Revzilla. Including state sales tax, it's around 200 dollars total. It's more expensive than the no name Chinese ebay specials, but I also did not trust the no name Chinese ebay specials.

Installation was a breeze. I bought the blue lever, which matches the blue G310R perfectly. I am absolutely thrilled with the appearance. I can also verify that the clutch lever will not interfere with the high beam flash like the no-name Chinese made levers, even when you set the lever at the closest position.

Overall quality is very good, and installation was pretty simple. There are 6 adjustable positions, from position 1 (close) to position 6 (far). The stock lever feels about the same as Puig's position 3 (see picture for a rough reference), so you can get a little closer, or farther if you're the type who can palm a basketball.

I put mine down to position 1 and found it just right for my relatively small hands. Previously, I had to really reach, and my shifts were sometimes less than perfect because I didn't have the fine control I wanted, and the engagement point is so far out already. Now, I have extremely fine, precise control. I'm less fatigued, and even rev matching to downshift is so much easier. Honestly, it feels like a whole new bike, and I haven't even received the brake lever yet.

5/5 - I really like this clutch lever, and I expect the brake lever will be just as good - it shipped separate so I'll have to wait a couple more days.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also have the puig one with my clutch lever. Quality is perfect, but price is indeed expensive. The Chinese one is okay if you considered the price or quality/price ratio. But the high beam issue drives me krazy.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Depending on price, you might also want to consider the BMW adjustable levers for the 310

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depending on price, you might also want to consider the BMW adjustable levers for the 310
Is this new, BMW offering OEM add-on adjustable levers for the 310s? I bought my G310R last week, and asked for adjustable levers to be installed at my run-in service next week. The parts department recommended the Puig 2.0 levers and ordered those in for me since BMW didn't make any for the 310.

Glad to know the Puigs work well - I'm looking forward to having mine installed!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
To me, the Puigs look a lot better than these new BMW ones. I have the shorty Puigs on my bike and really like how they work + look. The BMW ones look too much like the standard ones to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a slightly different problem with my KTM Duke 390
The standard levers are adjustable and look the same as the BMW aftermarket ones.
However they wouldn’t adjust close enough to the bars for me, with my small hands

I tried the Puig ones but they were no better.
After that l ordered the Chinese levers at only UK£16 for a pair, including postage from China
They were certainly well made, and the adjustment range was greater so they are fine.
I made sure that the brake light and clutch switch still worked (checked with a meter)
As they are activated by the levers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My only issue is the brake lever, so think I'll wait and see how much the BMW version costs. It should be more consistent in length and design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I fitted these to my bike, so cheap they were practically free

They are superb quality, better than the KTM official parts and only a tenth the price (£14 v £160 for a pair)

I am willing to bet that the branded levers are made in the same factory, and sold on at massively inflated prices

Don’t forget the £14 is retail, including postage from China!

So even at that price they will be making a profit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/303136643358

·
Registered
3 Posts
how much did those levers change the engagement point for you? It seems the engagement point is **** near 90% release on stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I assume you mean clutch engagement point?
It didn’t really change it at all, as the engagement point is adjustable by altering the cable stop.

What it did allow, is for the lever to be closer to the bars, making it easier for me to reach.

Likewise the brake lever, the “engagement point” is the same (after about 1cm of lever travel) but the lever will adjust closer to the bars.
Making it easier for me to reach.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I fitted these to my bike, so cheap they were practically free

They are superb quality, better than the KTM official parts and only a tenth the price (£14 v £160 for a pair)

I am willing to bet that the branded levers are made in the same factory, and sold on at massively inflated prices

Don’t forget the £14 is retail, including postage from China!

So even at that price they will be making a profit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/303136643358
I'm a bit hesitant to replace critical systems with Cheap Chinese parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess.

But l had the Chinese parts inspected and they are high quality CNC machined alloy with no visible flaws
In fact they look better made (and with better tolerances) than the official KTM after market levers, which are ten times the price.

To be honest l would still have fitted the KTM parts, in fact l tried them first, but they didn’t adjust any closer to the bars than the OE parts.

I could only reach the brake lever with the end of my fingers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts