BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's the word that really describes how i feel about my GS after ~ 4 months of almost daily visiting this forum (as well as other sites). the info is gathering and it gets worse by the day: recalls, low quality of plastics/paintjob, "funny"
gearbox, condensation at the dash..(and the list goes on and on..).
i am seriously thinking about selling the bike now that is new and not loose a lot of money later.
it is a pity however, because the design is great, the bike looks good and the handling is awesome...
BMW you didn't have to spoil a great design, to make more money...

:nerd:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am sorry that you have lost a lot of your earlier enthusiasm for this neat little machine. Remember nothing is perfect. As for the reports of condensation inside the dash display, they need to fix this. You should be able to leave a bike in the rain and not have to worry about it. Until they get it properly sorted, remember to take a plastic shopping bag or plastic film to cover the dash if you park it out in the elements. As for the gearbox shifting, keep the shift linkage properly lubed and also remember that a fresh oil change will sometimes fix shifting concerns. Do not give up hope yet!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Greekgeek

I can't say I blame you for your opinion or hesitation as it were, however aside from the side stand, none of the problems are major. The biggest problem is the fear people get when they hear others complain. I for one have almost 11,000 miles on my 2018 G310GS ( purchased Feb 27th ). I have had none of the problems most of the complaints center around. I have had my Cush drive rubbers replaced by the dealer under warranty which appeared different than the original ones ( so maybe a bad batch of rubber ) and my electrical ( stator, voltage regulator, and battery ) failed without warning at around 10,000 miles. That was also taken care of by the dealer who went above and beyond to fix the problem. I have had great fun riding across the USA and back, as well as riding dirt trails and roads without any worry or fear. I ride freeways at 70 to 80MPH almost every day. The bike handles great, the brakes are good enough once bedded in and this little bike has been 10x more reliable than my Harley Davidson and 100x more fun to ride.
So I guess it is just a matter of, does your fear of something that has not happened ( and may never happen ) to you, outweigh the fun and excitement you get from riding your motorcycle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys for your support. i spent all my economies on that bike, (i believe that most of you have heard that things in Greece are tough these days) to buy a brand new vehicle with low fuel consumption and good quality. now i feel that my choice was not good and i somehow "misplaced" my money.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quit reading the internet! You have not had any problems. The sidestand issue will be covered by a recall. My mirror buzzes at 4000 rpm, in first-that's not serious. What has been reported-two problems with spots on the gas tank and one dash with condensation? Some folks have missed a shift.Ride and enjoy. You will not get all your money back if you sell it now.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hey Greek colleague - I hope you hang in there. As others have written, aside from the recall for the side stand, the various issues to me have been pretty minor. The only one that I had to deal with so far was the stalling at traffic lights, in first gear. Buying new doesn't mean without trouble, in fact new owners often have to deal with what we Dutch call 'childrens ailments' that will be all sorted out in a couple of months' time. I for one firmly intend to hold on to my 310R as I've already had a blast riding it since I bought it in March. So hang in there at least for the next 6 months, I would say, and then re-evaluate. At least it's good on fuel?

·
Registered
35 Posts
thank you guys for your support. i spent all my economies on that bike, (i believe that most of you have heard that things in Greece are tough these days) to buy a brand new vehicle with low fuel consumption and good quality. now i feel that my choice was not good and i somehow "misplaced" my money.
Hang in there. BMW has the best warranty out there. 3 years! If anything crops up, it’s on them to fix it. The internet can be a scary place where you hear about everyone’s problems and they never tell you they caused them.

If it still continues to have problems getting close to the end of the warranty, sell it and go for something else.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quit reading the internet!
:)
i don't believe whatever i read on the net, but i consider this forum to be really informative and unbiased. i haven't had any problems with the bike yet, but i have done only 1000 km and i park it in my garage (protected from the sun or rain).
my whining comes from the fact that this is not an "investment" bike, although it's a BMW. i mean that, in my opinion, this is not a work horse bike, but a cheaply made Indian bike that carries the BMW sign. i find it really indicative that not even the side stand was properly designed and built. BMW tried to cut costs from everywhere and produced a nice bike equipped with cheap/mediocre parts.
all these make me believe that the problems will multiply as the years pass by..
that's all folks, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
32 Posts
that's the word that really describes how i feel about my GS after ~ 4 months of almost daily visiting this forum (as well as other sites). the info is gathering and it gets worse by the day: recalls, low quality of plastics/paintjob, "funny"
gearbox, condensation at the dash..(and the list goes on and on..).
i am seriously thinking about selling the bike now that is new and not loose a lot of money later.
it is a pity however, because the design is great, the bike looks good and the handling is awesome...
BMW you didn't have to spoil a great design, to make more money...

/forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
So let me get this straight. You disappointed in a bike because of other peoples problems and not your own? Have YOU had any serious issues with the bike? Get a grip man as others have said stop reading forums people tend to *****. No one comes on a forum to tell anyone how great the bike is. Just the problems. If you are that paranoid you shouldn't own anything. Q

·
Registered
14 Posts
mine have 6000km (3728 mille) without any problem.
very pleasant bike to drive, low fuel consumption.
my only concern is when i do highway but i dind't buy this bike to do many highway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So let me get this straight. You disappointed in a bike because of other peoples problems and not your own?
dude i have ~20 yrs experience with bikes (riding & fixing) and although this might not mean anything, i can really tell whether a bike is a bike or a lemon. i may be paranoid BUT i can notice a bike with gasket sealant (factory applied !!!) instead of a proper gasket!
no need to get mad at people's opinions in forums dude, it is a good opportunity to learn stuff for free.

·
Registered
324 Posts
dude i have ~20 yrs experience with bikes (riding & fixing)...
Almost 60 years here.

This is a BMW for less than $6K (US). The fact that it runs at all is a miracle. I have spent far more money (adjusted for inflation) for much worse bikes. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet (just north of 1K) but am more than happy with how it performs and handles. MUCH better than I expected.

Are there things that I'm not overly happy about? Of course - but overall it's a lot of bike for the money.

Think of it as a talking dog - the thing is to be amazed that it talks at all and not complain that it tends to mumble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 1,400 miles on mine, it's been great, not a single issue. I have several bikes in the garage that I kept in case I didn't like the GS, but they have been sitting since I bought the GS. I still need to get the side-stand updated but I am just being careful not to put too much weight on it. Most of my riding has been street, some dirt roads and no trails yet. I added ROX handlebar risers and higher windshield, still need to get a skid plate and tank bag. The more I ride it the more I like it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
... BUT i can notice a bike with gasket sealant (factory applied !!!) instead of a proper gasket!...

This actually bothers me a lot... and they didn't even clean the excess of the sealant! My engine has some dry sealant that dripped, but I love the bike and didn't have any issues so far. I have 3700 miles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree with you all
Every new bike is not perfect.
Problems occur also with other new BMW’s and other Japanese, Italian, Chinese, American etc etc bikes.
I had my share of little problems but so far, everything is taken care of and the bike handles perfectly.
It’s light, fast (!), economical and just fun to ride.
Give it some time and get out there and ride the THING.
Most bikes suffer more by not using them and by using them, you will learn the character of the bike and love or hate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
4000 km from March 2018 on without any problems. Waiting for the sidestand recall to be solved.

In less than two weeks my little GS and I are going to the Alps for many curves and about 2500 km. I hope we both shall have a nice time there.
But next Year I shall have a look at the KTM 390 Adventure

·
Registered
242 Posts
So let me get this straight. You disappointed in a bike because of other peoples problems and not your own? Have YOU had any serious issues with the bike? Get a grip man as others have said stop reading forums people tend to *****. No one comes on a forum to tell anyone how great the bike is. Just the problems. If you are that paranoid you shouldn't own anything. Q
Let me be the one to try and alleviate Greek's concerns then ;o)

I've now covered more than 14,500 miles (23,000+ kilometres) on my 310GS which I bought at the end of April - and in the 8 weeks or so I've actually been on the road, have ridden it all over the USA including some of the trickiest 'off-road' and OHV/jeep trail terrain, coupled with multiple consecutive many-hundred-miles days at a time...

Sure my original cush-drive rubbers were made of cheese, but those were swapped under warranty at 4500 miles with no quibbles, and they are being done again now at 14,500 (they really are shot this time) - but otherwise precious little has gone wrong over many weeks of relentless hard riding... and certainly nothing you might attribute directly to the design or build quality of the bike itself.

It's true I had the low-beam filament of the headlight bulb blow at around 12,500 miles (the high beam and side light still worked of course), and I imagine this was due to the low beam being on the whole time the engine is running coupled with the nodding-dog mounting of the headlight itself meant the filament eventually failed - but equally that could happen with any halogen bulb over that kind of distance to be honest, especially with all the rough-road riding I've been doing.

My fork seals started leaking after a particularly wet and muddy off-road session, but all that was required was a quick scrape with a fork-seal cleaner to seat them again.

Finally my GPS power started glitching, but that was simply a broken wire in the auxiliary connector I'd fitted (and not sealed sufficiently with silicone) - easily fixed, although you do have to remove almost all of the bodywork just to get to the aux connectors behind the headlight of course!

As I say, other than the cush-drive rubbers - all of those issues could have happened to any bike ridden at that intensity of many thousands of on-road and off-road miles.

I'll be putting together a much more comprehensive review of what it's been like to live with this bike once I've finish the final leg of this trip at the end of August (when I'm likely to have covered the best part of 18,000 miles), but by all accounts, it's been an impressive machine - certainly as reliable as any other - and as blwest says, is also backed up by a comprehensive dealer network and one of the best warranties (and in the US, 3-years roadside assistance too) in the business, included in the very affordable price.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

·
Registered
35 Posts
dude i have ~20 yrs experience with bikes (riding & fixing) and although this might not mean anything, i can really tell whether a bike is a bike or a lemon. i may be paranoid BUT i can notice a bike with gasket sealant (factory applied !!!) instead of a proper gasket!
no need to get mad at people's opinions in forums dude, it is a good opportunity to learn stuff for free.

Bmw uses the "caulk style" gaskets on all their bikes. My $20k R1200GS has this.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with using sealant as opposed to paper-type gaskets.

Reactions: blwest
1 - 20 of 21 Posts