BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time getting a look at the stock filter. It is absolute garbage. Looks like they put together some soggy cardboard on there no way it would hold up for 12K miles. The BMC much better quality, I dont have to worry about it falling apart and for the of us not storing out bike in a woodshop it will filter properly. It definitely allows more air to flow into the Airbox. As there is a noticeable growl during hard acceleration. Sounds pretty cool in my opinion. Power wasnt what I was looking for just wanted a filter I can clean regularly and BMW really when cheap on the stock filter so it had to go. Sorry no pictures forgot my camera.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Underneath the tank plastic. Take off the plastic covering and it's right there. Took no more than 10 minites.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just checked at BIKE FILTERS and there is no filter for "R" or "GS" on site. I even looked at the news-products and they listed new filters but nothing for the 310. K&N does not have a filter either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to contact BMC Italy directly. They shipped me one straight from their factory. It's not listed yet they literally just produced them. The item you want to request is FM993/20 . I believe they are on Holiday until the end of August.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have also made some changes to my GS recently. I have replaced the stock exhaust with akrapovic racing line(carbon fiber) and BMC air filter(stock replacement) in place of stock air filter. I have noticed some good gains and great growling from the bike. After all this now i am little concerned about the air fuel mixture. Do you think the g310 siblings need ecu remapping after exhaust and air filter upgrade ?

Ps - I have heard many people saying that the O2 sensor would self correct and take care of it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think that there is nothing wrong with the stock air filter. it is just the standard paper filter which works as it should. higher flow means also a higher flow of dust. I believe personally in foam filters which are superior in keeping the engine clean. I have so far just fitted foam prefilter, which I installed on the snorkel.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I actually checked my spare air filter, and in my opinion, it seems to be made very well.

it is generally said that that you do not need to change the ECU map in the bike or put a fuel enricher if you change only one thing: open exhaust or open air filter. if you change both, you need to get some aftermarket system to compensate for too much air entering your system. Keep in mind, that the stock map is already too lean, to meet the emission control. people often think that because of their bike sounding louder, it has become stronger. In fact, it has become weaker. If you really think that your bike is stronger by putting more free-flow air filter, go and check the top speed. In most likelihood, you will lose the top speed. The bmw has a wideband oxygen sensor, so it might be able to compensate more, but I wonder how much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts