BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, 18' G310R owner here!

I've purchased the R&G Fender Eliminator kit with micro LED's and the install went fine up until the wire stripping and bullet connectors came in. I thought I did an OK job of stripping and fitting the male/female bullet connectors on their respective wires. But when I put the battery back in and turned the key only my right turn signal worked(and even then the flash rate was too fast). My left turn signal and brake light/licence plate light did not work.

My question is what could be the problem? I am a complete noob to wiring and motorcycle ownership but I figured I followed the provided instructions properly. I really wish there was a youtube video for this specific kit.

Can anyone provide some clues?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, do you have a multimeter to check the continuity of your crimped connections? This is the easiest thing to check and probably the issue.
How many wires are there? Do any of the circuits share the same ground?
If you have LEDs and you reversed the wires then they won't illuminate (LEDs are diodes and therefore only allow current flow in one direction).
Also, make sure no fuses are blown to indicate a short in your wiring. I doubt the lights are on separate fused circuits, but it never hurts to check.

At any rate, I would double check the crimp of the connectors and maybe even flux and flow some solder into them to be sure. Can you post a pic of the connectors for us to look at?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, do you have a multimeter to check the continuity of your crimped connections? This is the easiest thing to check and probably the issue.
How many wires are there? Do any of the circuits share the same ground?
If you have LEDs and you reversed the wires then they won't illuminate (LEDs are diodes and therefore only allow current flow in one direction).
Also, make sure no fuses are blown to indicate a short in your wiring. I doubt the lights are on separate fused circuits, but it never hurts to check.

At any rate, I would double check the crimp of the connectors and maybe even flux and flow some solder into them to be sure. Can you post a pic of the connectors for us to look at?
Hi so I do believe it was a mix up of wires because I hadn't stripped and crimped the oem turn signal wires.

I recrimped my connectors and now everything works!

Buuuut the LED turn signals flash at too high of a rate. I was under the impression I didn't need to get resistors since the bike comes with OEM LED signals??

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Buuuut the LED turn signals flash at too high of a rate. I was under the impression I didn't need to get resistors since the bike comes with OEM LED signals??

Does this also happen when the bike is running or just when the ignition is in the on position and the motor is off?

If it only happens when the motor is off, don't worry about it, if it happens when the motor is running, you might need some additional resistors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this also happen when the bike is running or just when the ignition is in the on position and the motor is off?

If it only happens when the motor is off, don't worry about it, if it happens when the motor is running, you might need some additional resistors.
Thank you so much for the tip! I started the engine and the blink rate is CORRECT!

Thank you both for your help it was priceless.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Thank you so much for the tip! I started the engine and the blink rate is CORRECT!

Thank you both for your help it was priceless.

No problem, it's a quirk of LED indicators with this bike, some don't have any problems, others only blink fast when the engine is off and other blink fast all the time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i don't have good experience with R&G stuff. I installed the rear tail tidy in my crf250 and it broke after a short time. luckily someone pointed it out to me, as I almost lost my licence plate!

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R
29 Posts
Hi so I do believe it was a mix up of wires because I hadn't stripped and crimped the oem turn signal wires.

I recrimped my connectors and now everything works!

I'm having an issue myself. Did you do the brake light wiring like this?

Black > black
Red > red
Yellow > orange?

My signals are working fine but the brake light doesn't seem to be working right. Thought I got the wiring wrong. Thought it'd be a straight forward set up

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently am installing the same tail tidy on the 310 and I wanted to see if anyone could clear up the wiring colors for matching the OEM tail light wires to the new R&G tail light.
Like post above it seems to make sense to go OEM Grey/Red wire to R&G Red wire | OEM Black/White wire to R&G Black wire | OEM Orange/White wire to R&G Yellow ?
Any feedback on would be great thanks!

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R
29 Posts
@Duc_748

Black > black
Yellow > orange
Red > red

Also careful the wires don't touch. You'll short the fuse...which is what caused my confusion. I thought I had gotten the wiring wrong...turns out I just keep the fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Shumguy! I went with my logic and it worked out well but the connectors with the R&G kit where not super awesome so we just did the old school way and taped everything off properly. Kit looks super good. Overall the R&G kit is a bit annoying but you lose so many OEM parts its pretty rad. Bike is much cleaner, shorter and neat! Also the OEM tail light on Ebay is going for $90 so its a win win to get the tail tidy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts