BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the exhausts from the R and GS the same? Bends, shape, etc...

I'm trying to get rid of the aftermarket exhaust on my GS and have found an exhaust from a R for sale.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
As far as I'm aware, they are the same, 3rd party exhausts such as the akrapovic fit on both the R and the GS, but require slightly different attachment hardware for the GS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I’ve spent the last hour or so trying to compare the two and it looks like the GS exhaust has a support arm welded to the pipe, whereas the R exhaust has a removable arm on a bracket.
Looks like the previous owner removed the part that the support arm slides into so I’d have to replace that as well. Now I’m wondering if the removable arm from the R would work on the GS. I assume not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2018 R and a 2018 GS -- both with stock exhausts. I can go to the garage tomorrow and shoot various photos of both if it would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2018 R and a 2018 GS -- both with stock exhausts. I can go to the garage tomorrow and shoot various photos of both if it would help.
That would be great! The main differences I’ve noticed are the support arm (maybe not the right word for it) and the angle that the heat shields are mounted. I’m curious if the support arm bracket from the R can be mounted in a way to work on the GS.
I ended up just gambling and pulling the trigger on the R exhaust so I guess I’ll find out soon either way.
Side note, must be awesome to have both! Although I’m enjoying getting out on some dirt roads, I’d love to see how the road oriented R model feels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That would be great! The main differences I’ve noticed are the support arm (maybe not the right word for it) and the angle that the heat shields are mounted. I’m curious if the support arm bracket from the R can be mounted in a way to work on the GS.
I ended up just gambling and pulling the trigger on the R exhaust so I guess I’ll find out soon either way.
Side note, must be awesome to have both! Although I’m enjoying getting out on some dirt roads, I’d love to see how the road oriented R model feels.
I bought the R new at Richfield BMW (Minneapolis) in 2019 and rode it home to New Jersey, stopping in Indianapolis for the 600 mile service. It was a great ride and I've really enjoyed the bike. My wife recently decided to try it and quickly gave up her Rebel 250 -- she loves it even more now with a 2 inch lowering link added. It is also making her a better rider. After she started riding the R, I picked up the GS from Hermy's BMW in PA. I'm surprised at how much I love it -- and it makes for great weekend rides having reasonably well-matched bikes (I also have a BMW R1100RSL, which wasn't a great match to her former Rebel). Both the G310R and GS are fantastic bikes.

We are supposed to get the remnants of Ida blowing thru tomorrow -- but I should be able to get photos of the exhausts -- if nothing else, so you know what to expect. A quick look this evening suggested the muffler mounts were slightly different, but not impossibly so. I think you'll be OK. Will add some photos tomorrow...

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a bit of rain coming down so just grabbed a few quick and dirty shots in the crowded garage. My apologies for the crappy quality -- I can get better overall shots once the rain stops. In this case, had to reach over the R.

The pipes look similar to the O2 sensor, although the bend from there may be slightly different. A big difference is in the support bracket on the muffler. Measuring from the chrome end fitting to the support bolt, the bracket is further away on the R. First image is GS:

R:

Pipe bend. First image is GS:

R:

Hope this helps somehow. Again, I'd be happy to get better overall photos once the storm passes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and pictures! Hopefully the support bracket being in different locations doesn’t mess me up too much…the BMW parts diagrams for each definitely didn’t show that :confused:

Awesome that your wife is enjoying the R now! My wife has been showing some interest in my old Ninja 250 so I just might have an easier time keeping it now :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you buy the Akrapovic it comes with hardware for both the R and the GS. If you threw out the othe piece or the bike was used and did not have it, someone might be selling it online or you should be able to get the missing part from Akrapovic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How much for the aftermarket exhaust shipped to uk?
I have no idea what shipping would look like from the US and still don’t have it removed from the bike

However, full disclosure, after making this thread, I noticed the header pipe is slightly hitting the swing arm while at rest on the side stand. I don’t know if the previous owner installed it incorrectly or if this is a defective header pipe. I’m leaning towards defective header pipe since there’s not really much you can do to install it wrong… Delkevic hasn’t been much help with this, unfortunately.

If you buy the Akrapovic it comes with hardware for both the R and the GS. If you threw out the othe piece or the bike was used and did not have it, someone might be selling it online or you should be able to get the missing part from Akrapovic.
Good to know! That might help with getting the R exhaust to work on the GS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts