BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, have a basic electrical hookup question. Attached a photo of the way it's hooked up now (electrical issues not my deal). I bought the usb socket, the generic socket and the fused connector that goes directly to the battery from Rally Raid. As you can see, I plugged red from the usb, red from the generic socket to the red lead that goes to the battery, and the black leads from both sockets to the black on the battery. OK, so you open the waterproof cap on the USB and it's glowing blue. It's on.

I left it this way for a couple days worrying it would trickle kill my battery, and after 3 days, it did in fact make my battery slow turn. I bought a simple switch as a solution, but hate to start chopping all this wiring up. I contacted Rally Raid, they said it should be red to red, black to black, but this doesn't seem right. I contacted them again, they are tired of hearing from me, no response. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looks to be a non-switched connection that you have hooked up correctly.
So it's hot all the time.
You will need a switch to kill the draw on your battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Turtleboy
I have much the same setup for USB charger, straight off the battery. Mine has no LED; I just measured and it draws 0.2mA when not in use. Yours will draw a little more. I'm intending to put a switch in the circuit at the battery end, ie under the seat.
Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll only need it live while away from on multi day trips, maybe a couple of times a year. So it works for me to leave it switched off when not needed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I connected mine to the "spare" sockets that are behind the left side "wing" on the instrument panel (GS). The sockets are easier to get to on the "R" model (or so I understand).

This is switched power - so it shuts off when you turn the key off - no need for another switch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I connected mine to the "spare" sockets that are behind the left side "wing" on the instrument panel (GS). The sockets are easier to get to on the "R" model (or so I understand).

This is switched power - so it shuts off when you turn the key off - no need for another switch.
on the GS you have to removed the tank shroud the remove the front plastics to get to the two AUX power plugs. and to replace the long stalk turn signals with Euro shorties.

·
Registered
324 Posts
on the GS you have to removed the tank shroud the remove the front plastics to get to the two AUX power plugs.
YES YOU DO.

And I have never seen as many screws in one place, aside from a hardware store, in my life.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The connectors provided behind the dash, do I need any special connector or plug to use these. I am going to fit a USB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes you do need the correct connectors for those sockets. If you don't want to cut them off and splice the wires that is. I have 2 spare if you need them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts