BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Currently bikeless. Buying a GS310 in Spring 2021
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted Rally Raid front suspension? I only ride on the road so I am not interested in whether it is better off road. Does it make any difference on the road?
Also has anyone fitted their rear suspension? It looks to me like the only advantage is how easy it is to adjust.
The front suspension is supposed to be 25 mm longer. The rear suspension is also 25 mm longer. If you do not fit both, would this make the bike higher in the front than the back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both the front and the rear on my 310GS. Yes, I installed them for the off road advantages. But, can feel a lot more stability on the road also. This past weekend I was on some country roads between Oklahoma and Texas. There were a few "gotcha" dips in the pavement where on the stock suspension I would've felt those in my gut and let out some expletives in my helmet. With the Rally suspension, those dips hit much easier. But, still felt the bike was solidly planted, not a cushy Cadillac float.

The 25mm added length they mention does not actually change the height of the bike. Just the travel of the suspension. It's my understanding that if you upgrade the rear and not the front, there's a possibility for instability. I don't have enough knowledge to describe how unstable the mismatch would be or what it would do to your ride.

The other benefit of the Rally Raid suspension is the ability to select a spring based on your weight. I now know that the spring I have installed, with sag adjusted properly, is perfect for me and my 50lbs of camping gear. If I add a passenger, add a few clicks on the rear and get going.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone fitted Rally Raid front suspension? I only ride on the road so I am not interested in whether it is better off road. Does it make any difference on the road?
Also has anyone fitted their rear suspension? It looks to me like the only advantage is how easy it is to adjust.
The front suspension is supposed to be 25 mm longer. The rear suspension is also 25 mm longer. If you do not fit both, would this make the bike higher in the front than the back?
Well the first thing, you can choose de RR level 1, that is the same size as oem or level 2 that is the one you has mentioned. I got the level 1 for better use in off road but also on tarmac you can feel the advantage of the upgrade, I live in México and the streets are almost gravel roads, so the RR is far better than stock.
Not just is the way you can adjust, are the better materials of the springs, less weigth, better perfomance...

·
Registered
Currently bikeless. Buying a GS310 in Spring 2021
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the first thing, you can choose de RR level 1, that is the same size as oem or level 2 that is the one you has mentioned. I got the level 1 for better use in off road but also on tarmac you can feel the advantage of the upgrade, I live in México and the streets are almost gravel roads, so the RR is far better than stock.
Not just is the way you can adjust, are the better materials of the springs, less weigth, better perfomance...
Hi Guys,
Thanks for that. The rear suspension is a bit expensive but reading older posts it sounds like front and rear together make the difference. RR level 1 will do for me. Nice wee winter job coming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts