BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Just got my first bike a few weeks back, G310R. I'm starting to add some accessories. My question is related to the U-Bolt RAM mount for my cell phone. I would like it as far away from me and as close to the main display as possible. (Ideally they would be side by side) I've only been digging around for a bit but I find that If I mount the U-Bolt around the metal arm that comes off of/protects the master cylinder it gets pretty close. Any issues with mounting the bracket here?? Any other locations you've found using the U-Bolt that gets close to the main display?

See attached for specific location.

Thanks!
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
That "metal arm" does not protect the master cylinder, it is the master cylinder. It is not wise to attach the mount there as, if you drop the bike (always a possibility for a new rider), and the phone puts pressure on this you will end up with no brake when it fractures. Somewhat inconvenient.

As a grumpy old git I would say, especially at your stage, forget the phone and concentrate on riding the bike.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Just got my first bike a few weeks back, G310R. I'm starting to add some accessories. My question is related to the U-Bolt RAM mount for my cell phone. I would like it as far away from me and as close to the main display as possible. (Ideally they would be side by side) I've only been digging around for a bit but I find that If I mount the U-Bolt around the metal arm that comes off of/protects the master cylinder it gets pretty close. Any issues with mounting the bracket here?? Any other locations you've found using the U-Bolt that gets close to the main display?

See attached for specific location.

Thanks!
Greg
much better to use different systems for installing the Ram Ball. For instance this one, which you fit under the mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Omg,
Seeing the pictures I totaly agree with all the other reactions.
If you put pressure on the mount you probably damage the master cylinder.
The ram mount is normally used for the handlebar (or other places like the mirror), not for the master cylinder.
Find a nice spot on your handlebar .....

I don’t know how healthy the 1 cilinder vibrations are for your telephone.
I was told that the vibrations of the bike could destroy your telephone.
Find this out before .........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the words of advice. As a new rider this is all very helpful. Had my running in service yesterday and the mechanic pretty much said the same thing. It will be mounted on the bars.

Also, I don't plan on using this all the time but I got it for when I'm ready to venture off my normal routes and use my phone for a GPS. Plus it's just fun to add things to your bike!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use mine daily, having it right there means I can easily change the song which is playing in my helmet via my intercom.

My intercom is the lx-6 which is the older version of this:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bt1Z2iNS
It's been faultless in all weather conditions and on two different helmets.

Also I highly recommend ear plugs, I use the pinlock ones and I love them. I can still hear traffic, the bike, etc.. But it cuts out the wind noise!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, only that it wouldn't be wise to mount anything to the master. I'd imagine they wouldn't have much knowledge as far as the phone goes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One of the easiest and neatest ways to mount a RAM ball near the centre of your bars is to use this fitting:

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u

...which replaces on of your handlebar clamp bolts - and then you can angle the screen of you device to your liking in relation to the dash using various length arms together with your cradle/clamp.

Having the phone or GPS mounted between the handlebars is usually the best place to minimise vibrations and protect it in the event of a fall.

Jx

·
Registered
30 Posts
here is where i mounted my phone and sat nav . i have slightly changed the set up to a quad lock i can see the display no problem IMG_2960.JPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been running a Quadlock mount on my bike for about 8 months now.

Fantastic mount.

No issues with my s9+ and I'm using the s9+ quadlock case also.
How you got that mounted? I have the same quadlock but got a ball to replace one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Might go with a medium ram arm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts