BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here installed a RAM MOUNT for their phone?
If so, what model?
Side question: Is there a simple way to install a USB port?

Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I installed a Quad Lock mount, I like the look of this more than the ram mount, looks more secure imho.

Here's a link to a usb socket that I used on my 310R: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-2-1A-Motorcycle-USB-Power-Single-Port-Socket-Mobile-Charger-for-Phone-MA440/331853281508?epid=11016025403&hash=item4d43ff38e4:g:GpEAAOSwjdpbMh9Z

For the 310R I had to dremmel out a round portion so that it would fit flush next to the key cylinder, I dremmeled out a groove at one of the corners to accommodate the clutch cable and electrical cables. I also dremmeled out a groove around the socket so that it can be held in place by a ziptie. The injection mould holes in the socket show you how much material you can remove. (i.e. don't use the mount that comes with the socket).

For a GS you would only need to dremmel out a round portion and a groove or two for zipties. You could also get a double usb version for the GS due to the abundant space next to the key cylinder.

I shortened and spliced the cable directly to the aux power cable behind the headlight and it works a treat. You could get an mcon 1.2mm connector (also sold on ebay) to avoid splicing the cables.

See my other posts for pictures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I fitted a Ram mount on my GS handlebar with an X Claw that works great for an iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Use it most of the time without the rubber tether in place as the claws seem extremely secure. Quick and easy to remove X-claw and extender arm when required. I also bought a GoPro attachment for this mount but the GS is too vibey for a smooth video.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been looking for something to hold my phone. I know the ram mounts are meant to be awesome, but was skeptical of the 4 claws...

What speeds have people used it upto?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have used RAM mounts for many years and have a RAM® X-Grip now. Easy install, hold great at freeway speeds, have used it at 80mph.

Easy to mount the phone, no complaints ($$$), I recommend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the RAM Tough-Claw in my R. It works great and it's very easy to install and remove (no tools needed).

Besides the 4 rubber pads that hold the phone it has an elastic band that wraps around the 4 corners of the phone. So for faster/bumpier rides you can do that and the phone will be extra secured.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a relapsing/recovering Long Distance(1k+mi/days) motorcyclist so I have an obscene amount of Ram spares and cobbled this together on my bike after trying a slew of different options this put the phone right where I wanted it, easy to see and touch.

IMG_20191026_212508_1572150387296.jpg IMG_20191026_212540_1572150447116.jpg IMG_20191026_212519_1572150466712.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got the quadlock mount it is works fanatically. I've also got the s9+ case and it's solid at 145 - 150kph on my g310r

1 - 12 of 12 Posts