BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Learned to ride motorbikes as my turning 51yrs old midlife crisis. I learnt on a Honda Vtr250 but am wanting to upgrade to something that I can use offroad on trails, does the baby gs need the rally raid type upgrades or fine straight out the box? Not planning on any enduro type stuff, just occasional gravel and sandy road but mostly tarmac in between. Also got a ride planned next year, 5000km,mostly tarmac, but there is one section called the Oodnadatta track which I'm really looking forward to. Anyone in the 88kg range used it as a tourer?
Cheers

·
Registered
2021 G310 GS
2 Posts
For what you're describing it should be fine off road. While I haven't done anything terribly extreme, I've found it to be fairly ideal for your typical unmaintained gravel or sandy road. I'm not familiar with the Oodnadatta track, as I live in the States, but from what I just looked up it seems the bike would do fine. If anything having the appropriate tires would help immensely.
With all that being said the rally raid upgrades are nice. But I would save that money for the next bike. Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought mine a couple of months ago, and plan on doing a fair bit of off road riding with it. I've put on some bark busters, rad guard, a decent bash plate and some SRC crash bars so far. Tires and larger foot pegs are still on the to do list. The rally raid upgrades look really nice, but expensive, maybe a bit of overkill unless you plan on some serious off road punishment. I wish I could justify buying their spoke wheels though, they look damn nice (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there
Good to hear that it can cope with what I have in mind. The Rally Raid stuff is expensive and can't see the value for a bike like the BMW. I've test ridden a cb500x and was nice but didn't seem to excite me. I think I like that single cylinder sound. I'm also considering the Himalayan or a DR650 to test ride
For what you're describing it should be fine off road. While I haven't done anything terribly extreme, I've found it to be fairly ideal for your typical unmaintained gravel or sandy road. I'm not familiar with the Oodnadatta track, as I live in the States, but from what I just looked up it seems the bike would do fine. If anything having the appropriate tires would help immensely.
With all that being said the rally raid upgrades are nice. But I would save that money for the next bike. Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought mine a couple of months ago, and plan on doing a fair bit of off road riding with it. I've put on some bark busters, rad guard, a decent bash plate and some SRC crash bars so far. Tires and larger foot pegs are still on the to do list. The rally raid upgrades look really nice, but expensive, maybe a bit of overkill unless you plan on some serious off road punishment. I wish I could justify buying their spoke wheels though, they look damn nice (y)
Hey there
All your mods are what I was hoping to get away with. Just need this lockdown to finish yet again so the test rides can begin

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also consdidered both of those bikes, the Himalayan had a nice price but although I can appreciate the styling I dont think I could have lived with it, and the DR650 was a bit expensive, a bit old in terms of tech, and needed a few comfort mods I thought. I have a 2021 DR200s and the comfort of the 310gs makes for more comfortable, longer rides than a dual sport.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there
All your mods are what I was hoping to get away with. Just need this lockdown to finish yet again so the test rides can begin
Yeah I hear ya, bought mine during last lockdown. ended up buying it unseen over the phone, not ideal, but lockdown frustration got the better of me. All worked out, and am very happy with it ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also consdidered both of those bikes, the Himalayan had a nice price but although I can appreciate the styling I dont think I could have lived with it, and the DR650 was a bit expensive, a bit old in terms of tech, and needed a few comfort mods I thought. I have a 2021 DR200s and the comfort of the 310gs makes for more comfortable, longer rides than a dual sport.
There's something about the Himalayan but for our roads, not so sure. I think the weight of it as well as the Cb500x, are putting me off. I've been taking my 250 onto the gravel and dropped it once. Picked it up fine but the thought of an extra 30kgs makes my ol hernia scar shriek
Also, I just watched a great YouTube clip on 2 Aussies taking the stock gs off road and they did great

·
Registered
446 Posts
The worst with the low cost BMW G310GS is the cheap suspension components, they suck, specially off-road. The best with the low cost BMW G310GS is that the suspension components are so cheap, it doesn't feel bad to scrap them for some semi-desent ones. If the Rally Raid provided Tractive suspension feels too expensive, buy some from a local dealer. Whatever you change to, it will improve your riding pleasure. I put RR level 1 on mine. It was like an other (better) bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst with the low cost BMW G310GS is the cheap suspension components, they suck, specially off-road. The best with the low cost BMW G310GS is that the suspension components are so cheap, it doesn't feel bad to scrap them for some semi-desent ones. If the Rally Raid provided Tractive suspension feels too expensive, buy some from a local dealer. Whatever you change to, it will improve your riding pleasure. I put RR level 1 on mine. It was like an other (better) bike.
So there are other options than just RR?

·
Registered
446 Posts
So there are other options than just RR?
The world is full of shock absorber manufacturers, almost. As the BMW G310GS is made to be low cost, the manufacturer has saved on everything possible. Tires are specially produced cheap tires branded as Metzeler Tourance. I bet you can't buy the same from any dealer. The ones you get from a tire dealer are the real Metzeler Tourances. The sam goes for the rear suspension strut. It's made to be cheap to produce and to function, for a while. Only adjustmen you can do is the pre-load. The price for an OEM strut is € 181 from a German webshop. Öhlins has a fully adjusted emulsion unit for around € 800. Hyperpro wants € 409 for an emulsion strut. Cogent Dynamics wants USD 726 for a rear suspension upgrade kit. The BMW rear strut is fastened with two bolts. It's easy to change, unless you don't have your thumb in the midle of your hand, then let somebody ells do it for you.
The front suspension could use a little stiffening. That is easy done by changing to a stiffer fork spring (only one) and using a heavier fork oil.
Make a search on the web and you'll find more options. What is good with the RR kits, is that they actually tested them on the bike, on long distances, in races and by enthusiasts. Check out the G310GS thread on Adventurerider.com.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's OK as is for mild off road as long as you are not pushing the pace, more aggressive tires would help.
We might have different opinions about the concept of "off-road". For easier rides on gravel and dirt roads, I agree. On rutted single track routes and in rocky terrain, specially with some extra load from overweight driver (I'm >100 kg + ATGATT) , the suspension is really to soft and lacks absorbing function. Adding luggage doesn't improve it either.
Lots of people add a lot of bling to their bikes for the looks of it. I put my money on the suspension, for the improvement on driveability.
As for tires, real Metzeler Tourances (not the OE) wold improve the capability of the G310GS on sandy and gravel roads. Of course real knobbies or so called enduro tires, like Continental TKC-80's, Mitas E-series or Heidenau K60's improves the bikes handling on loose surfaces dramatically. I've tried TKC-80, Mitas E-09 & E-10 as well as K60's (currently used). The Heidenau K60 has been my favourite for the last 10-15 years. I've even studded them for winter use on several bikes. But as always YMMV.

·
Registered
446 Posts
At 1:32 in the MAD video David describes the bike very clearly: "...we're taking this road oriented adventure bike to it's limit..."
Later Amy drove the G310GS to London, thru Mongolia. She drove on "roads" that some would call off-road and her bike was Rally Raid upgraded to fit her capabilities and luggage.
The question one should ask one self should maybe be "Am I ready to go off-road as is, with the BMW G310GS?" rather than if the bike is ready.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At 1:32 in the MAD video David describes the bike very clearly: "...we're taking this road oriented adventure bike to it's limit..."
Later Amy drove the G310GS to London, thru Mongolia. She drove on "roads" that some would call off-road and her bike was Rally Raid upgraded to fit her capabilities and luggage.
The question one should ask one self should maybe be "Am I ready to go off-road as is, with the BMW G310GS?" rather than if the bike is ready.
Whatever bike I eventually get, I'll be straight down to my local bike training centre to do their adventure/off road course

·
Registered
446 Posts
Whatever bike I eventually get, I'll be straight down to my local bike training centre to do their adventure/off road course
That's a wise move. After the course, you'll be ready to go off-road. Most often it's not the bike that is the limiting factor, it's the rider. Some people even took Honda Gold Wings off-road. They didn't last very long and were more or less write-offs after that. But they did it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode a 21 Himalayan before I purchased the baby GS. I really liked it and would have pulled the trigger on it except for it's only a five speed, it topped out at around 75 to 80 and I needed more than that for the interstate and the price of my GS was only a few hundred more with the deal I got. It would make a wonderful second bike if you can afford to have two.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts